Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

>> Clutch Break-in & Oil Change <<

2K views 5 replies 3 participants last post by  97grnrs 
#1 ·
So I've got just over 500 miles on all new friction & drive plates that I recently installed along with full synthetic oil & new oil filter. Does current consensus dictate I should change out all this new oil? If so, you think I should change the filter, too? Can I just change the filter, and retain this brand new oil?

Thanks a lot for any opinions. I've been out of the loop for a decade now, and I'm curious as to if my dated knowledge still applies.

#3 ·
That's a new one for me. It's a wet clutch. There's no break-in for it. The fiber plates will always wear down from use, but there's no magic break-in period for them like engines have. That is related to the assembly lube and the piston ring mating. No break-in or oil change is needed for clutch changes.

#4 ·
Actually you will get more clutch fibers during break in just from excess material on plates from manufacturing etc. I've seen it more than once in freshly drained oil. But there is no mileage break in your correct, I only change it to rid of excess debris after the first good ride

#5 · (Edited)
SKYD <> Hi there, and thanks for jumping in! To clarify any ambiguity, I wasn't asking about a "clutch break-in period"; I was just asking if people are still changing their oil after the first 500 miles of new friction plates. I used to always do this - one & two decades ago - just like 97GR does, currently. The friction plates will often release some fiber as they break in so the oil change @500 miles was always just a preventative measure. I think I'm just going to change the filter bc my pockets are just too light to replace all that full synthetic. I should had used conventional when I changed the clutch, but I've been out-of-the-loop so long two steps ahead just slipped my mind.:|

97GR <> Thanks for the input. Nice to know I'm not the only one.:eek:ccasion1

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.