Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

>> Clutch Break-in & Oil Change <<

2K views 5 replies 3 participants last post by  97grnrs 
#1 ·
So I've got just over 500 miles on all new friction & drive plates that I recently installed along with full synthetic oil & new oil filter. Does current consensus dictate I should change out all this new oil? If so, you think I should change the filter, too? Can I just change the filter, and retain this brand new oil?

Thanks a lot for any opinions. I've been out of the loop for a decade now, and I'm curious as to if my dated knowledge still applies.

Discussion starter · #5 · (Edited)
SKYD <> Hi there, and thanks for jumping in! To clarify any ambiguity, I wasn't asking about a "clutch break-in period"; I was just asking if people are still changing their oil after the first 500 miles of new friction plates. I used to always do this - one & two decades ago - just like 97GR does, currently. The friction plates will often release some fiber as they break in so the oil change @500 miles was always just a preventative measure. I think I'm just going to change the filter bc my pockets are just too light to replace all that full synthetic. I should had used conventional when I changed the clutch, but I've been out-of-the-loop so long two steps ahead just slipped my mind.:|

97GR <> Thanks for the input. Nice to know I'm not the only one.:eek:ccasion1

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.