Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Clutch Basket Destroyed

Well just to give the background story:
In August 2007 I bought a new zx-10 from cycleworld of cherry hill in cherry hill nj. I road it for about a month before putting her in storage for the winter. I bought her back out in may and road till june. Thats when the problems started. The bike road like it was losing tons of power. I took it to the dealer and paid 130 for them to take a look at it. The road it and their techs told me there was nothing wrong with the bike. I picked it up and started to ride it down 295 just to be sure it wasn't me being parinoid. I made it five mile before the back tire locked up. I manage to get to the side of the highway without mashing it. I had the bike towed back home because the dealer was now closed. I returned the bike to the dealer and the took the bike apart and found 1 clutch fiber plate had broken apart. The remaining plates showed very little signs of where so the service manager contacted kawi and explained what was going on. They of course did not want to cover it claiming the only reason a clutch plate will pre maturly fail is rider abuse. After speaking with the customer service manager, one Rick Roddwik, he said the same thing. I then spoke with his boss, mary who is the warentee manager. She agreed to cover the parts. THey eventually fixed the bike and I got it back early august 2008. THe bike still showed the same loss of power but everytime I took it back they said it ran great. Jump ahead to 2 weeks ago. I'm riding with the same problems from one year ago that never was fixed. The bike begins slipping and not wanting to go into gear. I take it to my retired tech friend who takes it apart to find a completely destroyed clutch basket. He tells me most likely they new about the damaged basket a year ago and wanted to try to get me out of warenty. Long story short, the don't want to fix the bike saying its out of warenty. If your from the area don't buy from cycleworld of cherry hill definately dont do service there and don't buy kawasaki products. I will probibly fix the bike sell it and get a honda for next season. If any one else has any stories to add about kawi customer service feel free to add them. I never even made it through one season with this bike.

·
Registered
1,187 Posts
i heard there are rivits in the clutch basket that break and when they do they destroy everything.. alot of my drag race buddys put the 05-06 clutch basket in the 06-07 to solve the problem

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hate to bump up an old post but i've been extremely busy. My wife just had my son next generation of racer lol.

Anyway, does anyone have a used clutch basket or know where I might be able to get a good aftermarket replacement. Gotta fix this thing while its cold out for next season.

·
Registered
445 Posts
Sorry about your misfortune with the stealership. I try to do all the wrenching on my bikes but I understand when its under warranty you gotta let them do it. Question I have an 06 and have replaced the clutch, when I did the basket (rivets) looked good. I dont drag race it much since I replaced the clutch, but would like to have peace of mind about the rivets as this has been a worry in the back of my mind for some time. I will prolly wait till the clutch needs replacing again b4 changing the basket so how much trouble is it to replace with a first gen basket ie stack height, #steels, #friction disk, can I still use 2nd gen. oem or will I need to buy 1st gen. steels and discs or are they the same? Hope I am not out of line for asking this here and am not trying to threadjack. The issue just came to mind while reading this thread. Anybody know how much I can pick up a 1st gen basket for?

·
Registered
700 Posts
Easy with the clutch basket make sure they are the same marks. There were 4 different ones if i remember right. Look in the manual it will tell you witch one you need.

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
Sorry about your misfortune with the stealership. I try to do all the wrenching on my bikes but I understand when its under warranty you gotta let them do it. Question I have an 06 and have replaced the clutch, when I did the basket (rivets) looked good. I dont drag race it much since I replaced the clutch, but would like to have peace of mind about the rivets as this has been a worry in the back of my mind for some time. I will prolly wait till the clutch needs replacing again b4 changing the basket so how much trouble is it to replace with a first gen basket ie stack height, #steels, #friction disk, can I still use 2nd gen. oem or will I need to buy 1st gen. steels and discs or are they the same? Hope I am not out of line for asking this here and am not trying to threadjack. The issue just came to mind while reading this thread. Anybody know how much I can pick up a 1st gen basket for?
I have a billet basekit that i will sell its for a 05 zx10r i can call falicon to see how much the want to put your gear on the billet basket so i can keep my gear pm me if you want the basket has less than 50 miles on it motor droped a valve and now going with a hays clutch

·
Registered
356 Posts
Same thing happened to my buddy on his 06... granaded his motor and trans. :(

·
inappropriate
7,728 Posts
I know that shit hole. You never shouldve went there.

·
Registered
664 Posts
Hate to bump up an old post but i've been extremely busy. My wife just had my son next generation of racer lol.

Anyway, does anyone have a used clutch basket or know where I might be able to get a good aftermarket replacement. Gotta fix this thing while its cold out for next season.
Congrats on the new addition.

I have a used clutch basket from an 04-05 with a "2" marking. Let me know if that will work for you.

·
Registered
346 Posts
I have a billet basekit that i will sell its for a 05 zx10r i can call falicon to see how much the want to put your gear on the billet basket so i can keep my gear pm me if you want the basket has less than 50 miles on it motor droped a valve and now going with a hays clutch
What Hays? Talk to me brother

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
redline are you talking to me or the other guys

·
Registered
346 Posts
That is way more than you will ever need and want to mess with.

Trust me:cool:
Your probably right, but that's a nice set-up.
I just finished preping a set of cases that should easily support 350hp.
I'm going to start a thread here soon outlining what is necessary to do to kawasaki's zx10 cases based upon information from the head engine guru at Mosler.
I took my damaged cases and crank to a master engine builder who inspected them and is nice enough to guide me through the process. The thread will begin with the case damage and end at the dyno. The cases were bored through the mains, the crank was relocated .080 lower in the engine, redecked, oil system around the crank mains reworked and cam lift reprofiled.
The engine guy is a nononsense engineer who built the endurance engines that won the 24hrs of Daytona in the MoslerHT900gt cars and has multiple engine development programs for race teams around the world. He builds tractor pulling engines that make ungodly amounts of power, blowers and nitro, turbo's and alcohol etc.
In a nut-shell, this person knows his shit when it comes to building high horse-power engines and keeping them alive.
I'm guessing the bike will be finished by this weekend.

·
Registered
346 Posts
I'm concerned with the factory clutch failing and destroying the engine. I don't know how much torque it can handle before it explodes?
The springs I have in it now don't let it slip, and the engine makes around 115-120 on the torque, and I'm getting ready to turn-up the boost to produce around 325-350hp range if all goes as planned.
I would hate to loose an engine to a clutch failure. Does anyone have an idea as to what the factory clutch can handle?

1 - 20 of 38 Posts