Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
536 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Was at the track yesterday and 3/4ths the time I shift from first to second at high rpm I am slipping back to neutral. I have two ideas but was hoping you guys could better inform me.

1st- tranny problem second is slipping out
2nd- positive neutral finder is catching cause maybe I am not shifting quite hard enough. It only slips back in high rpm's then I shift up again to second and its fine.

Next is on the front straight I felt like I was not getting as much power as normal. When I went back and watched the video the times before I was always hitting around 150 and this time I was lucky to get to 140 but was usually around 120-130. Could that be my clutch slightly slipping in the higher rpms? Any help I would greatly appreciate it.

Here is a video of me getting my friend on video but I still slip back into neutral. You can start watching at 1:50 seconds and it happens pretty soon.

·
Speed Freak
12,730 Posts
if you do wind up doing anything with the clutch barnett has some 100lbs springs you can throw in there... I know it holds up to 230hp on my bike with nitrous :-D

·
Registered
598 Posts
Sounds to me like you need to let off the throttle completely before you shift. You are revving up in between most shifts. Try that and see where that gets you. Otherwise you are looking good.

·
Registered
1,688 Posts
You let these guys talk you into running Rotella diesel oil and wonder why your clutch is slipping on an 08.:idea:

·
Registered
1,688 Posts
my 186hp on motor and 227hp on nitrous motor loves diesel oil :-D
Your also running much stiffer springs to compress the plates.

There is a reason they make motorcycle oil. Pretty sure it has something to do with the wet clutch.:wink:

·
Registered
536 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Your also running much stiffer springs to compress the plates.

There is a reason they make motorcycle oil. Pretty sure it has something to do with the wet clutch.:wink:
Can you see something wrong with the rpms with the video? I've only dealt with a completely burnt clutch on a 954 that I replaced right when I bought it.

·
Registered
1,688 Posts
Can you see something wrong with the rpms with the video? I've only dealt with a completely burnt clutch on a 954 that I replaced right when I bought it.
I can't say that I do.

Looks like maybe your just not getting a good shift into 2nd out of that corner. Falls into neutral, you go back into gear and there is most of your mph loss.

Clutch may be slipping, may not be. Too hard to tell til its obvious. IMO a good motorcycle oil is the way to go.

Nice Vid.

·
Registered
312 Posts
They make "motorcycle specific" oil to prey on the unknowing IMHO. I have never used a "motorcycle specific" oil except for what came in at purchase. It was only used until break in was complete also. I have never had any issues to date with using Rotella, Castrol Syntec or Mobil and never will. But if someone wants to pay top dollar in the name of reassurance then to each his own. :eek:ccasion1

·
Registered
208 Posts
if the dogs are wore out, it will jump out of second almost every time. we would back cut the gear to keep that from happening...especially pulling hard out of the corner, this is pretty common.

·
Registered
536 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
if the dogs are wore out, it will jump out of second almost every time. we would back cut the gear to keep that from happening...especially pulling hard out of the corner, this is pretty common.
Thats what I was thinking also, the same thing happened to my 954, but with my 954 it was at a certain rpm that it will slip back to neutral every-time. This I can shift at low rpms and go all through the rpm range with no problems or as seen in the video shift right back and be fine. Unless its just shifting at such a perfect spot it slips in since it only does it 3/4ths the time.

Next thing that just kinda popped into my head was the shift shaft gave me problems when I low-sided last summer. We replaced that and the shift forks and I cant remember if we replaced anything else. But others talk about theirs starting to slightly crack and give them problems. Without looking would be hard to tell but maybe... It has such a small crack right now its only giving me problems because I am shifting all the way through neutral? But I am no were close to a mechanic so thats why I appreciate every ones help thanks.

·
Registered
536 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
1 more question with the weak feeling of power and it not feeling like its pulling hard. Can a dirty air filter take away from some power if its clogged/filthy?

Attachments

1 - 17 of 17 Posts