Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Okay, so this isn't the N to 1st gear issue that I have ran into when researching this issue.

Yes I research before asking but I really don't know how to word this without typing out what happens to see if any of you have ran into this.

Here is the issue..

First off....07 ZX10r...LOVE IT!! had an 03 zx6rr before, then moved to this bike...love it, feels comfortable, enough power...all around great bike.:+2:

Ok, so, i'm trying to build confedence with this bike as far as rolling the throttle on in lower gears to feel the power and know what to expect.

I was playing around tonight and noticed in 1st gear, as you all may know who have one, you can chop the throttle then hammer it, and the front end comes up...pretty fun, and i can ride it for a bit :)

Here is my issue, When I chopped the throttle, then directly after I hammered it back on, i heard a kind of clunk or thud as I punched it...

SO I went over the basics to see if any of these were my issue....

Chain tension is about right maybe a .5-1.5 play, the wheel is not bent, I just put new tires on (pilot pures - great tires btw - to each his own obviously) while i had it up on my stand i put it in gear and let the wheel rotate and it looked straight and smooth. SO I'm looking for any other explenation to this noise...anyone else have this? :dontknow:

Thanks!! :)

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I see a lot of reads...anyone have an suggestions?

·
Green Hippie
17,566 Posts
back lash in the drive train most likely from hammering the throttle on and off .

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
is this normal? any fixes or other things i should look for?

·
Green Hippie
17,566 Posts
is this normal? any fixes or other things i should look for?
yes it can be a normal occurance if you 're hamfisted with the throttle while loading and unloading force on the gear box rapidly

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
i take it, this isn't very good for the bike.

I've only done it once or twice...

I think the thing was, I chopped the throttle to much and the load went to almost nothing which in result caused this noise.

·
Registered
700 Posts
check you chain tension as said above. I would bet that is it. Also a little cluck is normal.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Beating on bearings gears etc. Chopping is not doing your dricetrain anygood. Does it clunk everytime now ?
no it doesn't, it was a once or twice that it happened and i think both times i had it underload then released to much and tried to chop it again...

I wont be doing it anymore that is for sure.

bug man, I think the chain should be tight enough like i was saying there is about 1 inch play...maybe a tad more...

·
Registered
478 Posts
no it doesn't, it was a once or twice that it happened and i think both times i had it underload then released to much and tried to chop it again...

bug man, I think the chain should be tight enough like i was saying there is about 1 inch play...maybe a tad more...
They don't have a rubber bushing in the wheel hub to absorb slack do they?

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I'm pretty sure it does...not sure what it is for though, from what you stated, it is to absorb slack from the chain?

·
Registered
478 Posts
I thought the bigger bikes don't have the bushing. I haven't seen one on my First Gen ZX10.

It acts like a shock absorber and vibe damper for when you go on and off throttle. There is allot of beating that takes place when you hammer that throttle abruptly and some of the older bikes used a rubber bushing (almost like a love joy coupling but not) to absorb some of the slam.

·
Registered
700 Posts
humm... the dampers should not cause this. Yes the 10 does have them in the rear wheel.

Take a look at the front sprocket it could be worn and jumping teeth.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
checked the front sproket, teeth look good. I'm leaning towards the Drive Train.

Resolution for this is...DON'T DO IT!? :) haha

·
Registered
478 Posts
checked the front sproket, teeth look good. I'm leaning towards the Drive Train.

Resolution for this is...DON'T DO IT!? :) haha

Just imagine all of the moving parts in the bike. Think of how they all of a tiny bit of play in them. And then imagine what a forge your making when you hammer the throttle on/off. It's a pretty violent slam.

I always "roll" into the throttle. My baby has about 12k so I take care of her. I'm not hesitant to punching it but I always barely tip the throttle in first to get the slack out of the drive train before I hit the throttle. Just picking up that slack before you deliver 100+HP to the components will do wonders.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
this is ture, and youre welcome on the follow up.

Ive got to learn you can't just hammer it like that, which I have and quickly...I've learned to do like you said and roll on or roll it to take the slack out.

the new exhaust sounds amazing :)

·
Late Apex
803 Posts

I had this happen when i changed front . rear sprockets and chain . converted to 520 . the culpret was loose chain. here is how i fixed it.

1. put on rear stand

2. spun tire to the tightest point of chain

3. re adjusted chain . after that no issues.

what happens is there is apoint where the momentum of rolling off and rolling on that the chain can not keep up if it is loose . it causes a slight bend that travels . when you call on more power the momentum snaps causing the chain to slap as it tightens at the point the two momentums meet. you tracking so far. so keeping the chain tight will prevent this. at first it really sounded like my gear box and it freaked me out. but it wasnt. promise this will or should prevent it. my noise was more like a metal knocking thunk.

·
Late Apex
803 Posts
this is ture, and youre welcome on the follow up.

Ive got to learn you can't just hammer it like that, which I have and quickly...I've learned to do like you said and roll on or roll it to take the slack out.

the new exhaust sounds amazing :)
also my gearing is -1 +2 and i roll them on at 50 . the slower roll ons cause this for sure.....second gear at about 65 is even better. if you want to pull slow wheelies at 35 or so clutch them

also .......set your wheel down slow. dont drop it or your fairing and mounts will pay the price. if you see a cop you are already busted so just set it down slow and pull over .....my 2 cents

1 - 20 of 22 Posts