Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello zx-10r team,

I need some feedback...

I've been hearing a disturbing clunk noise on my bike, it's chain or transmission related I think.

When I'm cruising at low rpm and roll on the gas semi hard I hear a clunk noise, it's kinda similar to the noise you hear when in neutral and you shift into 1st.

Any ideas?

If needed I can make a video tonight when I get home. Let me know.

·
BigCat for Prez!
7,229 Posts
sounds like ur just lugging the motor in too high of a gear

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
sounds like ur just lugging the motor in too high of a gear
I know what your talking about when your boggin/luggin the motor down in too high of gear, but it's not because of that.

A clunk noise will happen in 1st gear, can be cruising 15mph, let off the throttle and get right back on the throttle and the clunk noise will occur.

·
BigCat for Prez!
7,229 Posts
got me beat then. i know if i have mine on the stand and idling in 1st itll spin the tire but its not high enough in the rpm range and itll lug and make the chain bounce and sounds horrible but goes away once u blip the throttle

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I found a post quoted below from 2010 that sounds like I might just need to tighten my chain.

Think if I tighten the chain the problem will go away, what else could it possibly be?

I also have 520 and -1 +2.

http://www.zx-10r.net/forum/showpost.php?p=1437775&postcount=19 ...
I had this happen when i changed front . rear sprockets and chain . converted to 520 . the culpret was loose chain. here is how i fixed it.

1. put on rear stand

2. spun tire to the tightest point of chain

3. re adjusted chain . after that no issues.

what happens is there is apoint where the momentum of rolling off and rolling on that the chain can not keep up if it is loose . it causes a slight bend that travels . when you call on more power the momentum snaps causing the chain to slap as it tightens at the point the two momentums meet. you tracking so far. so keeping the chain tight will prevent this. at first it really sounded like my gear box and it freaked me out. but it wasnt. promise this will or should prevent it. my noise was more like a metal knocking thunk.

My gearing is -1 +2 and i roll them on at 50 . the slower roll ons cause this for sure.....second gear at about 65 is even better. if you want to pull slow wheelies at 35 or so clutch them

·
Registered
105 Posts
cush drive

Hi mate,

could be the cush drive rubbers on the back of the sprocket
carrier worn ?

I had it happen on an old zzr1100.

Glenn

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hi mate,

could be the cush drive rubbers on the back of the sprocket
carrier worn ?

I had it happen on an old zzr1100.

Glenn
Hmm

So you think it could be the rubber piece in the below picture that's on the left side that's worn.

I'm not sure how mine looks. Hopefully it's just the chain so I don't have to remove the sprockets and replace the cush drive rubbers.

The clunk sound seems to be coming more from the front sprocket also, not 100% sure though.

·
Registered
6,028 Posts
what does your chain slack look like? the only reason you may hear it like that is because of the lower stress being put on the chain that is all of a sudden increased, and you are at slow enough speeds to hear it over the wind. I know my chain made a weird noise on my old 636 when it was tight enough but also when it wasnt lubed enough either. Put it up the rear stand in neutral, spin the wheel a little. Then go about half way on your chain, a couple inches behind your rear set is ~halfway. The chain should move about an inch or so. If it moves more than that, especially by a significant margin, then you need to tighten that sucker up. And since its up on the stand, clean the chain off with kerosine or WD40 and all, wipe all the crap off it and then lube it.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
what does your chain slack look like? the only reason you may hear it like that is because of the lower stress being put on the chain that is all of a sudden increased, and you are at slow enough speeds to hear it over the wind. I know my chain made a weird noise on my old 636 when it was tight enough but also when it wasnt lubed enough either. Put it up the rear stand in neutral, spin the wheel a little. Then go about half way on your chain, a couple inches behind your rear set is ~halfway. The chain should move about an inch or so. If it moves more than that, especially by a significant margin, then you need to tighten that sucker up. And since its up on the stand, clean the chain off with kerosine or WD40 and all, wipe all the crap off it and then lube it.
Cool -OP- thanks for that info.

I'm at work right now and don't have a stand, but when on the kickstand it looks to have about 2" of slack.

Is that normal?

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I'm stopping by a shop after work today, what other possibilities could that noise be from?

I'll let you guys know what happens.

·
Registered
1,413 Posts
I'm stopping by a shop after work today, what other possibilities could that noise be from?

I'll let you guys know what happens.
Im with OP on this. How worn are your sprockets/chain? I had this 'clunk' on my gen2 for about 6months...would tighten/lube the chain and it would go away for about 100 miles. Come to find out my front sprocket and chain were pretty worn. Did a chain and sprocket swap a week ago and still quiet as can be.

·
Registered
1,413 Posts
Cool -OP- thanks for that info.

I'm at work right now and don't have a stand, but when on the kickstand it looks to have about 2" of slack.

Is that normal?

looks a tad much, imo. you need to put it on a rear stand..or roll it to find the 'tight' spot..check it there. If you adjust it on the 'loose' then you run the risk of putting everything there in bind. Also...sit on the bike to compress the shock some...and check your free play...3/4 to 1in is good....too little again...can put in a bind. If its too tight...your suspension wont 'flow' effeciently (sp..i know..lol) and you could snap a chain..and put too much stress/wear on the sprockets.

·
Registered
6,028 Posts
what Tex said. thats too much slack. definently tighten that chain up a little bit. I had the same problem as Tex did when my chain was toast on my 636. made the weirdest noises and all, clunked around and would slap the swing arm.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts