Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
2,014 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
About 2 weeks ago I came real close to crashing, was riding with some friends, I was out front went through a couple of turns and then came around a bend where a car was just dead stopped in the middle of the road. This is like real remote country side, anyway ended up sliding a good couple of meters on tar then off the tar onto gravel where I only had little space before going off a small cliff, which I managed to avoid. I managed to keep the bike upright through all this, don't ask me how, all I remember is flashes and I could feel my body working instinctively! This is the closest I have come to crashing and now I like ride but almost with a bad taste in my mouth.

What close calls have you guys had and how did you feel riding after that? Sure anything has its danger side and one can paint a real ugly picture of basically anything collecting footage etc. relating to it, I guess you can't just lock yourself in a room and not go anywhere or do anything in fear that you gonna get hurt, whether swimming or flying a plane etc. etc.:dontknow:

·
Registered
38 Posts
continue to ride if you still enjoy doing it, learn from your experience and always expect the unexpected around that corner and if it doesn't feel right don't push-it, and the rest is in God's hands.

·
Registered
443 Posts
i was always told if your not wrecking you not ridding, Oh wait that was when i had my dirtbike, lol,

Yeah when something like that happens your always wondering if or when it is gonna happen again...

just be carefull and ride like you always do

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
Unfortunatley we are all involved in a dangerous sport and I've heard so many say that there are two kinds of riders, those who have crashed and those who will crash.
I personally had my off last spring and it took some time to get used to riding again. Fear is good, it may save your life some day, but you will get over it.
Your close call should be a learning experience. Always be prepared for the unexpected.
Be safe out there.

·
Rent this space
6,590 Posts
After hundreds of close calls you will end up using "the force" to ride your bike , you will be looking 200 yards ahead and predicting every movement of every car you can see, no matter how far away they are, this will be done in milliseconds but it is up to your body to react and not hesitate.

There is a zone , just like all the good riders and drivers have , unfortunately it doesnt account for little old ladies in Buicks larger than their houses , but more experience gives more confidence , heightens awareness.

A friend of mine punched his R1 into the side of an Oldsmobile at 30 MPH after she pulled out on him , which meant , given his reaction time and her hesitation time wondering wether to go or not and the fact that he could clearly see her looking in his direction, meant he was atleast 50 yards from her and yet he didnt leave a single skid mark , to be perfectly honest it was a bit presumptious of him thinking that she wouldnt pull out, given the nature of old ladies in big cars, still her fault no doubt , but avoidable ? probably.

Treat all car owners as being totally oblivious to bikes , wether in front of you or behind or make your prescence known , or if a situation is too dangerous then accelerate the hell out of there, its worth the ticket.

I put my trust in my first wife once whilst driving in my car, I will never forget it,I could have killed her right there and then , I did the unthinkable and was pulling on to a main road and asked her if all was clear for oncoming traffic out of her window, she replied yes and I pulled out , KABAM !!! Suzuki GS550 plowed into her door , the rider was okay but the bike was trashed and I felt really small and stupid being a bike owner myself , I couldnt apologise enough and it is a moment I will never forget, that was 20 years ago.

Be safe.

FAF

·
Registered
2,014 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yip 20 years of riding and you have a close call, not bad for the amount of time I have spent on a bike, just makes you think............maybe a good thing.

·
Registered
50 Posts
FAF said:
After hundreds of close calls you will end up using "the force" to ride your bike , you will be looking 200 yards ahead and predicting every movement of every car you can see, no matter how far away they are, this will be done in milliseconds but it is up to your body to react and not hesitate.

There is a zone , just like all the good riders and drivers have , unfortunately it doesnt account for little old ladies in Buicks larger than their houses , but more experience gives more confidence , heightens awareness.

A friend of mine punched his R1 into the side of an Oldsmobile at 30 MPH after she pulled out on him , which meant , given his reaction time and her hesitation time wondering wether to go or not and the fact that he could clearly see her looking in his direction, meant he was atleast 50 yards from her and yet he didnt leave a single skid mark , to be perfectly honest it was a bit presumptious of him thinking that she wouldnt pull out, given the nature of old ladies in big cars, still her fault no doubt , but avoidable ? probably.

Treat all car owners as being totally oblivious to bikes , wether in front of you or behind or make your prescence known , or if a situation is too dangerous then accelerate the hell out of there, its worth the ticket.

I put my trust in my first wife once whilst driving in my car, I will never forget it,I could have killed her right there and then , I did the unthinkable and was pulling on to a main road and asked her if all was clear for oncoming traffic out of her window, she replied yes and I pulled out , KABAM !!! Suzuki GS550 plowed into her door , the rider was okay but the bike was trashed and I felt really small and stupid being a bike owner myself , I couldnt apologise enough and it is a moment I will never forget, that was 20 years ago.

Be safe.

FAF
:+1: Well said FAF!

The skill involved in riding is not so much how fast we are but more how effectively we handle emergency situations. I've heard you should always be able to stop within the distance you can see ahead of you. I keep that in mind, but it's not realistic all the time for sure. But if you can only see 50 feet ahead on a curve... you may just have to stop within that 50 feet, so it does keep my speed down in those situations. I may be going faster than I can stop dead but I keep a margin so that I can at least scrub a lot to speed off in those 50 feet I can see ahead.

I make a point of heading over to a large parking lot (like a shopping mall) early on a sunday morning every couple of months. Put the full leathers and gear on and practice those emergency manuvers. Braking, swerving and slow speed turns and such. In everyday riding I don't use those skills that often, but I like to stay sharp and make sure those skills are second nature when/if I need them out on the road. Plus, there are usually cleaning crews at the mall outside on a break and they seem to like watching the crazy guy in leathers on a green 10 do my stuff. :lol:

Stay sharp and ride well.

·
Registered
1,814 Posts
Back in the spring I had a friend go down and Pass away on the side of the road while I tried to keep him alive and call 911, he and I were at the back of the pack and it took bout 10-15 min for them to return..I didnt touch my bike for alomst 2 months and even now I dont ride like I did before the accident ...it takes time to get back on .....

·
MIA Post Whore
8,727 Posts
I've had quite a few over the years. it usually screw with my concetration and confidence on a group ride. i'll back off the pace and chill for awile. if solo, just pull over and let your heart rate return to normal. You;ll most likely ride a bit slower the rest of the day but don't let it ruin the ride. As you have more (which you will) the close calls won't affect you as much. just continue to always be as safe as possible enjoying our not so safe sport.

·
Registered
2,091 Posts
I have had lots of close calls but there are two that stick in my head are as follows and made me go back home and regroup my self:

I decide to go for a ride after work one day. I get on I-80 West and head toward Vallejo - about a 20 min ride. I get off and come back home. Its the tail end of rush hour and all lanes are have vehicles in them but traffic is moving at about 70mph. This lady in a SUV just comes over - No signal. Lucky for me the car next to me saw what was happening and slowed enough to let me squeeze in so I would not get hit.

Another time I was getting off I-680 to get on hwy 4 and as I was going around the turn I got to the top off the turn and went too wide and ended up going out in traffic - I know it was all my fault that time but I had to stop and get my self together.

One thing that I can say - I have never laid a bike down or crashed in 20 years of riding - "KNOCK ON WOOD"

·
Rent this space
6,590 Posts
I'll tell you one thing I have found, I dont know if it is because I am hitting mid 40's but having one of the fastest bikes on the planet actually allows me to pick and choose when I want to ride or race somebody , just knowing that I can beat almost anything on the road seems to have released me from the burden of having to prove myself all the time , if you know what I mean ,and I actually have more pleasure riding now than I did street racing every moving thing on my old two stroke triples, when I was 20 years younger.

Dont get me wrong, I still occasionally ride like a lunatic , but I dont give in to the cage drivers who wave you by , just to see a wheelie and I will still give someone a run for their money on a safe road.

But like they say, theres a time and a place for everything.

Seeing somebody die because of an accident is a stiff reminder though .

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
FAF said:
but having one of the fastest bikes on the planet actually allows me to pick and choose when I want to ride or race somebody , just knowing that I can beat almost anything on the road seems to have released me from the burden of having to prove myself all the time ,
:iamwithst aint it the truth...

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
Count me in. I bet I've ridden 10 miles since last fall.

I had 2 cars pull out (one a police car) and a woman almost back over me, all in one trip to and from work.... and a local friend Bninja wrecked a few days later, breaking his neck.

FAF has it right. We are at war when on these bikes and you must assume the worst in all conditions, and at all cost keep a clear head at all times.

I opted not to sell the bike and plan to start riding again soon.

HTH
Phil

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
After 12 years of riding my close call wasn't with crashing it was with death.
Grab some popcorn and a beer...

In Toronto we have a highway called the 427, this thing is full of uneven pavement and bumps that kick you out of the saddle. A group of friends and I out for a night ride. I'll be honest I was checking out on them on my R1 when a dude in a black Ford Explorer decides to come into my lane (he was on the phone), keep in mind I was doing about 170Km at this point. I swerve to the left and hit a nice piece of uneven pavement at the same time. Result? A 60 foot tankslapper that I could not get under control. At this point everything is going in slo mo, bang bang bang , left, right left, right as the handle bars have taken on a life of their own. I'm thinking that I'm actually going to die like this. Never knowing the unborn child that my wife is pregnant with. If I lay the bike down I get run over by the 18 wheeler that I just blew past or hit by another vehicle. During all of this my friends are about 200 meters behind me and don't know that I'm about to bite it. Ahead of me I spot a mini van and decide to run right into the back of it as this is my only option at postponing death at 32. As I hit the back of the van I turn sideways allowing my Shoei to break the glass and provide with and entry point. I land right in between the 2 passengers in the back seat as I hear the driver say "Holy Shit" Everything goes dark, I thought I was dead but it was actually because the the van was dark inside and my visor was tinted. Upon realizing that I'm still alive and in one piece I start apologizing profusely as the van comes to a stop. I climb out and make my way to the gaurd rail. My bike was indeed run over by the truck and on fire about 100 meters back. My friends are going crazy as they didn't see what happened thought that I was run over. To make a long story short I'm fine, everybody in the van was fine and insurance money got me my ZX-10. This sounds like some shit out of some stunt movie and half the time I can't believe if myself but the unexpected happens sometimes, so to all my fellow riders please ride smart and ride safe.:deathmeta

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
The funny thing is Zega, I was shitting my pants cause I knew my wife was going to kill me:sad: She's was actually pretty understanding after she calmed down. One of the guys that used to ride with us won't ride with us anymore he was traumatized.

·
Registered
2,014 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
LOL! :wink: It is funny how you almost die and all one can think of is shiaaaat my wife is gonna kill me.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts