Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,
A new member here :smile2:

I have recently bought a used 2014 ZX10R. Absolutely love this beast.

I have been reading a lot of posts in this forum regarding two separate issues and have not found specific answers to my situation:

ESD Light: When I bought this bike, the ESD light never came on, the previous owner misplaced the second key and I had to get a key made via a dealer. Since then, I have observed the ESD light coming on. However for some reason the ESD light never comes on in the morning which is great, but as soon as I turn off and start again the ESD light is constantly on. I have checked the battery and all electricals (at a high level) via the dealer and they all seem to be fine. The dealer has also replaced the Regulator rectifier via Kawasaki, and still no luck. I am a bit clueless and I get the feeling it may be due to engine temp going higher :confused:
Some inputs on these will be highly appreciated

Clipon bars: I have some questions regarding Helibars Tracstar model, here is my background info.
I am 5 feet 11.5 inches tall and weigh about 85 Kgs (189.5 pounds). I can ride this bike for about 350 Kms (approx 219 miles) without any wrist pain. However after that the wrist start to hurt and especially lower speeds such as 50km/hr (about 30 miles per hour) hurt a lot more.
The maxmium distance I have done for a day is about 550 Kms(approx 340 miles)
If I installed the Helibars Tracstar:
1.Will it allow me to do long distance riding such as 600 Kms+ (approx 400 miles), without hurting my wrist?
2.Do I have to adjust my rearset, I have an OEM rearset?
3.I also plan to do occasional track days, would it affect any handling and is it safe to use on track?

Your inputs on these will be highly appreciated. Thank you.

·
Registered
1,628 Posts
Your ESD problem sounds unique to anything I've heard regarding ESD problems so I don't know what to say other than maybe it is heat related (SCU or wiring under the tank may be effected in some way from the heat). Regarding your wrist issue, I have the same problem so I try to use this at every possible opportunity when on a long ride which helps:

·
Registered
148 Posts
Hell bars made a huge difference in my ability to ride long distance. I mean ride as long as I want to now. Only thing that stops me is my knees after around 300 they start acting up. I also installed a throttlemeister cruise control. It's a bar end weight that turns to lock the throttle. Can't even tell it's there. Looks just like a heavy bar end weight. I could get you a close up later but you should be able to see the helibars and cruise in this picture. If you want any other angles I'd be happy to help just PM me and I'll send to your phone or email

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks TDH. I also think it may be due to Temp going up. Keen to know from other members what they could think of.

Kllongbrake: Your bike looks really cool! I will PM you as I would need some pictures in different angles. Are you saying that you are able to ride longer? How much distance were you able to ride with the stock clipons? Did you have to adjust the rearset? And how do Helibars perform at the track?

·
Registered
153 Posts
Re the ESD, When you first turn on the ignition make sure you let the bike cycle through all its start up stuff and be sure the bike is stationary so no signals are received from the tone rings on the wheels. Then start the bike. I know if I start mine right away or if teh wheels are moving when I do it sometimes gets the ESD light. Give that a go.

For the bars are you sure your just not gripping too tight? I've done plenty of days longer than that and don't have an issue. Is this your first supersport bike? If so some more riding time and it'll get easier. For sure the stance is on the aggressive side but everyones different I guess. Hope you sort it and enjoy the bike,

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Re the ESD, When you first turn on the ignition make sure you let the bike cycle through all its start up stuff and be sure the bike is stationary so no signals are received from the tone rings on the wheels. Then start the bike. I know if I start mine right away or if teh wheels are moving when I do it sometimes gets the ESD light. Give that a go.

For the bars are you sure your just not gripping too tight? I've done plenty of days longer than that and don't have an issue. Is this your first supersport bike? If so some more riding time and it'll get easier. For sure the stance is on the aggressive side but everyones different I guess. Hope you sort it and enjoy the bike,
With regard to ESD this is how I have observed.:
1. First thing when I want to ride out, I unlock and roll the bike out from my garage and put on the side stand and after that turn on the ignition
2. I let it cycle and do not crank the engine until about 10 seconds
3. I start the bike, let it idle for about 1 min and then start to ride

with this what I have observed is that ESD light does not come on.

However, if I stop anywhere be it fuel pump or any place where I have to turn bike off, and start again, I can see the ESD light. However on few occasions I did notice it didn't come on and I feel this is somehow related to engine temp. I am not sure. So my theory/feeling is as engine temp rises it may cause the ESD light to come on and as it gets cooler or its cold the ESD light does not come on.

In regards to the bars, Yes this is my first supersport bike so I think that I may be putting some pressure on my wrist and as I accumulate riding time, the wrist start to hurt. I will remind myself consciously not to do that.

·
Registered
838 Posts
Im interested in getting clipons but for slightly different reasons.
Im 6foot 4 and have long arms so id like the bars further forwards but my gen4 has gen5 fairings on and there is bugger all clearance when on the lock.
Does the gen4 have more clearance on the lock coz i cant remember ?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts