Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I installed CA's front flushmount signals and integrated taillight assembly this weekend and wanted to voice my semi-dissatisfaction.

The first thing I noticed was the velcro tab on the taillight housing that is supposed to hold down the tail cowling.... well that material was not even compatible with the factory stuff that was on the cowling. Not that it would have mattered.... it was not centered the way it was supposed to be by any stretch of the imagination, probably an inch off in each direction. I just peeled that sh*t off and threw it away, then removed the piece from my stock taillight and mounted it with 3M molding tape. Problem solved, but WTF?

Then there was the resistors that you have to install in parallel if you don't want your blinkers to strobe. First off, this should be an integral part of the unit because NOBODY wants their blinkers to blink that fast. Of course, the resistors are as big as my pinky.....
So I went to hook them up and the wire on one side of the first one comes right off in my hand. Bad soldering job. FACK!
I tried to hook up the other side but could not get a good connection with the supplied tap connectors. They know you will have to splice 3 wires to install the resistor, so why not supply a tap connector that will accept 3 wires?
Before it was all over I had to make a trip to Radio Shack. I had to remove all the wires from the resistors and resolder them with GOOD connections (and LONGER wires), then solder all the splices and heat-shrink them. The front signals plugged right into the stock signal disconnects. Why not the taillight? I had to cut the plugs off my stock blinkers. I threw away a lot of the stuff I had paid for in the kit because it was worthless.

I am pleased with the end result of the installation, but I just had to do WAY too much work for a 'plug-n-play' kit. I was wondering if anyone else has had issues or if maybe I just got a bad kit.:dontknow:

·
Registered
765 Posts
I had the same issues, except that I didn't use the resistors. I couldn't find a good place to mount them.

Yes, the included velcro is worthless. I discovered that right away, and salvaged the stuff from the stock tail light.

The blink rate is faster, but I didn't think it was unbearably fast. I used butt connectors to splice the turn signal leads to the factory turn signal plugs that I chopped off.

So far so good. I'm still running stock front signals, however. I hope the CA front signals are incandescent bulbs and not LEDs. If that's the case, they won't get any faster.

I may just go with the OEM Euro front signals; they can be had for cheaper anyway.

·
Banned
319 Posts
i got the complete set of lights from them .....fronts,rears, tail light....im happy with signal lights but the top part of the tail light sticks out more than it should about 1/8 where the top of the tail section meets the top of the brake light.....all in all im happy with mine

·
Registered
85 Posts
on the budget with a 10? :badteeth:

I only had the velcro problem, got the flasher...everything else works ok

·
MIA Ex-Mod
3,051 Posts
Yeah, for $15 more. I'm on a budget people!
Not $15, go to the auto parts store and buy one for like $2-3 and make up some wire extensions for little or nothing.

Tread

·
Registered
765 Posts
on the budget with a 10? :badteeth:

I only had the velcro problem, got the flasher...everything else works ok
I know, it sounds silly. But, to talk the wife into letting me buy the 10, I had to agree to keep the mods to a minimum. She was getting tired of my modding of the SV. :mrgreen:

With a mortgage and a new baby, money is tight.

But, dammit, it's only $15! I should just buy it!

·
Registered
765 Posts
I know, it sounds silly. But, to talk the wife into letting me buy the 10, I had to agree to keep the mods to a minimum. She was getting tired of my modding of the SV. :mrgreen:

With a mortgage and a new baby, money is tight.

But, dammit, it's only $15! I should just buy it!
Is the flasher just plug & play?

·
Registered
461 Posts
Has anyones CA taillight stopped working? I went for a ryde yesterday and noticed that mines had quit. I checked the fuse and it was blown so I replaced it. Pop it blew another one. So I installed a 15 amp fuse and no pop but the light doesn't work. Next move was to install the OEM taillight. It works fine! So what's wrong with my CA taillight?:dontknow:

·
Registered
461 Posts
CA Customer Service!

I sent my green CA taillight back on friday due to defects. Got a new one in the mail on Thursday! Thanks Clear Alternatives for the great customer service!:thumbsup:

·
Registered
533 Posts
this is a problem im really worried about. i want the CA smoke turn signals, but i don't want to deal with products that arn't flush with my plastic. is this a comon problem with people using flush mounts on a 1st gen?

·
Registered
85 Posts
this is a problem im really worried about. i want the CA smoke turn signals, but i don't want to deal with products that arn't flush with my plastic. is this a comon problem with people using flush mounts on a 1st gen?
no problems for me, worked great...

·
Banned
3,645 Posts
I bought some CA Products for my 06 10R. I was able to use the front flush mounts OK, but sent back the integrated tail, as it was a POS. I sold the rear lenses before trying those but the buyer was happy with them.

Its a crap shoot with them IMO.

JJ

1 - 17 of 17 Posts