Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
has any tried to clean and reuse the CR9EIA-9 spark plugs? if so how and did they work after cleaning? i just changed my plugs because the were fouled, it seems a shame to toss $40.00 in the trash can.

·
Supercharged Mod
4,391 Posts
DON'T clean the spark plugs.

Find and fix the reason for fouling them. Usually it means it is too rich somewhere.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
yes, yes, yes

the fouling problem is fixed. the plugs are not in a bike so getting them out is a snap. now i have 4 fouled plugs sitting on the work bench. i'm cheap so i hate to throw them out. i was just wondering if they COULD be cleaned and reused.

·
Supercharged Mod
4,391 Posts
The shop manual says to not even attempt to re-gap the sparkplugs because of the possibility of breaking the center electrode. I'm thinking that if you put any force at all to get the fouled crapola off, you'll break the electrode. I suppose you've got nothing to lose by trying it at this point.

·
Registered
286 Posts
I have cleaned off my iridiums and they work fine. No cleaners or solvents but, my Dad picked up a spark plug cleaner. It is a little pouch with one end an air hose goes in and a side compartment with fine particles to clean the plugs. It is like a mini sand blaster for spark plugs. I think he got it at Eastwood or one of those places.

·
Registered
520 Posts
Micron05rr said:
I have cleaned off my iridiums and they work fine. No cleaners or solvents but, my Dad picked up a spark plug cleaner. It is a little pouch with one end an air hose goes in and a side compartment with fine particles to clean the plugs. It is like a mini sand blaster for spark plugs. I think he got it at Eastwood or one of those places.
sweet. I just got iridium plugs for my 10R.....can't wait to install them and ride this beast again....i've spent too much saddle time on 6RR.
when it's time to change the plugs....it's time to change the plugs. change 'em.......

·
Registered
1,971 Posts
I use to clean my irridium plugs on my kx250 often until i got my jetting packed down. I used a bead blaster and never really had a problem with screwing up my irridium plugs. Im just wondering why your running rich on your bike? I think you need to find out why your fouling plugs first off.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
ok thanks fo the inputs

the reason i'm having fouling is; i'm in the last stage of building a map for my pc 3. the engine is in my race car and it has an exhaust that was build from a full TI Force that was modified to fit. also the air box was modified to fit. so the map that i started with was very rich for what i needed. after some runs on the dyno i now have a map for my engine and i had a set of fouled plugs sitting on my workbench. after i pulled them, an easy job for my application, is when i posted the question.

it now seems as if i can spend $20 (or find a plug cleaner i can use) and have a $40 backup set of plugs for the future.

·
Registered
656 Posts
leemille said:
the plugs are exposed and easy to get to thru the side window.
Hey thanks for the nice picture of the KLEEN mod, that will come in handy the next time someone has questions about that. YEAH, you really have no idea what we are going through just to change the plugs. I'll change plugs in your's anyday!! Thanks for the pic and good luck racing. :thumbsup:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts