Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I just got told by my command that we are slotted for a 2 day class with Keith Code and the California Superbike School for FREE!!! This will be my first time doing track riding. I'm soooo excited, I feel like a kid being told next week he's going to Disneyland!

·
Registered
58 Posts
Sweet!

·
Gone Ridin'
1,705 Posts
I have done their two-day camp, you will have a blast. It is one-on-one with real racers coaching you.

Frankly day one is what a real sport motorcycle training course should cover. All fundamentals.

·
Guilty by association
8,751 Posts
that is cool, what command are you with???????

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I'm with maintenance bn.

So the day wasn't exactly what I thought it would be.

There wasn't much instruction, it was more of being familiar with being on a track (even though it was an old landing strip in the middle of mountains).

They did critique you though. If they saw something they would point a blue flag at you and the next coach you saw you would raise your hand and pull over. They would walkie talkie the info to the coach to relay to you.

Mostly it was throttle control, entrance / exit speeds, roll on consistency, etc.

We rode in 3 sticks of about 15-20 riders, for about 1/2 hour each run, for 3 runs.

We even had about 5 cruisers trying it out!

The part that sucked the most for me was that the turns were outlined with little cones that were about 4" x 4" and maybe 1" off the ground. Good if you run them over, bad if your trying to blaze through zig zag turns and differentiating left and right boundaries (all the same color).

I guess I was used to no restroom (guy came when we arrived and took port-a-poties), and no concessions (food or water) from 11-5pm.

·
can we ride yet!?!?!?
3,522 Posts
I'm with maintenance bn.

So the day wasn't exactly what I thought it would be.

There wasn't much instruction, it was more of being familiar with being on a track (even though it was an old landing strip in the middle of mountains).

They did critique you though. If they saw something they would point a blue flag at you and the next coach you saw you would raise your hand and pull over. They would walkie talkie the info to the coach to relay to you.

Mostly it was throttle control, entrance / exit speeds, roll on consistency, etc.

We rode in 3 sticks of about 15-20 riders, for about 1/2 hour each run, for 3 runs.

We even had about 5 cruisers trying it out!

The part that sucked the most for me was that the turns were outlined with little cones that were about 4" x 4" and maybe 1" off the ground. Good if you run them over, bad if your trying to blaze through zig zag turns and differentiating left and right boundaries (all the same color).

I guess I was used to no restroom (guy came when we arrived and took port-a-poties), and no concessions (food or water) from 11-5pm.
damn, i feel disappointed for you!!!!!!

·
Gone Ridin'
1,705 Posts
Sounds a lot different from their regular course in execution at least. Must have been customized somewhat.

>Mostly it was throttle control, entrance / exit speeds, roll on consistency, etc.<

That is a large percentage of cornering correctly :)

The cones for corners sounds bad. Normally this would be done on a track and all they do is mark a sweet spot that they consider to be the optimal entry point on the asphalt. At least then you are actually dealing with an actual corner so finding reference points is easier.

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
Cool boss. Enjoy..

·
Registered
363 Posts
yeah i heard of it. almost wanted to go but my instint tells me its not gonna be that great. dont get me wrong because keith code is awesome. due to the fact we do not have enough funding. also it started out just being a seminar...then they wanted range time (not track)...

·
Registered
205 Posts
I've yet to coach at one of the Military dates for the school but I might get to a few this year. Cobie Fair, the chief instructor, told me they were very different from the normal school I had no idea it was this much of a difference. If you have any feedback you'd like to direct to the school, I'd be glad to forward it to him or you could send it directly to him at [email protected].

1 - 20 of 20 Posts