Votes: 44 67.7%
  • TRE

Votes: 23 35.4%
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I posted. I got mixed reviews. So i decided to see what everyone thinks. I have heard some draw backs to the tre, in that my gear indicator will be useless, and also heard that the 1/5 isnt that great. Let me know what you guys think ,and ill go with the winnine poll if anyones interested.

·
Registered
3,360 Posts
As said in the other thread, pull the secondaries and get the 1/5th throttle, why waste the money on the TRE? And why the need for this thread on top of the other one?

·
Registered
586 Posts
I think it depends on the person and how they ride. I honestly cant feel the difference in performance with my GIPro TRE on or off but I love the gear indicator and run with the TRE function on anyways, its there might as well have it on right?

I personally think a 1/5th throttle is a no brainer. Cheap and easy to install, it "wakes the bike up" and is certainly noticeable. I also suggest a -1 countersprocket as another cheap and easy mod that you can actually feel. Gearing changes obviously dont give you more power, but move it around so to speak. Definitely a cheap mod that cant be felt without question.

My opinion may not be shared by others, Im actually running -2 +2 520 driveset, (speedohealer to correct which I suggest even if stock) 1/5.5 throttle, K&N, ect... Top speed runs to 180+ just aren't my thing, I prefer my rush down lower. Bike still tops at 165 and I only lost about 3 MPG in fuel mileage and increased cruise rpm's a couple/few hundred rpm's, completely acceptable for me.

Besides commuting on back roads and highways, most of my riding is on mountain roads in central PA, my current set up works great for me.

Everyone is different though so what works for me may not work for you...

·
inappropriate
7,728 Posts
...lets repost some more shall we...
first of all bud, your coming off all squid-like, how about letting us know what kind of riding you do let alone asking an age-old question like so.

·
Registered
163 Posts
^^^^^I'd never let a poll choose my mods, it's too personal, only you know what you truly want from you machine. Let me know if you're ever in Ft. Worth, there's a good track in Cresson.

·
inappropriate
7,728 Posts
id go with the icon's 4/5 thrust retarder modulator

·
Gun Owning Republican
5,278 Posts
Caliper swap...You will be faster. You can't be fast if you can not brake.

·
Registered
222 Posts
You have to look at what kind of modifications you are planning. If you are eventually going for aftermarket exhaust, aftermarket filters, power commander, etc. then the TRE will be a very good idea to get, amongst other things.

As far as bang for the buck, a short-turn throttle will give you a "jedi mind trick" of sorts in terms of effectiveness b/c the effect will be immediately noticeable, but it's still a matter of taste and riding style. While I can see the attraction of the short turn throttle I prefer the stock setup for throttle control (better modulation for me).

The bike stock is plenty enough for most ppl. stock first generations can still keep up with the latest hardware, and with modifications the sky is the limit.

what you will find is that as soon as you start to make engine and exhaust mods you will start to spend more and more money because in order to realize the effect of these mods, you cant really go halfway...you have to be committed in order to get real tangible gains. so a tre on its own, not really that important. throttle mod, really up to your preference.

best cheap effective mods that you can do piece by piece are sprockets and brakes. engine and exhaust and to some degree suspension require money/time to get correct.

·
ZX-10R enthusiast
6,562 Posts
The 1/5 is the shit, until your doing wheelies, then the throttle feels pretty touchy. But I'm getting used to it.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I have owner an 05 gsxr 750 ,a 98 1100, 07 zx-10 se, and now 08 zx-10. I am a more aggressive rider however have never really urgraded my bikes. 2 came built and one was fast enough to keep my happy. I ride twistys every weeekend i have free. I am interested in mods however know little about the pros and cons and am a little confused. I know it sounds squid but you will never understand something untill you as questions. Which is why i ask.

·
Registered
2,168 Posts
Yeah after more than 2 years finally did the secondary throttle butterfly removal and willl say the becam more responsive in all gears under 6,000RPM....But then again 50 degree outside air temp has that effect on a bike, whose temp was running at 160 degreee's.
So can't honestly say the removal did anything, as for the tre have one but only paid $20 on ebay for it, otherwise would pass on it at full price.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Can you run the TRE and remove your secondary butterflies or does it have to be one or the other?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts