Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As some of you will remember, I'm restoring a '98 ZX6R for the Mrs.

I bought a used motor some months back but still haven't installed as some other projects came up.

Anyway, the motor has done 60,000 miles so I'm thinking that as I don't want to go into it again for at least the same mileage (gentle use), I would refresh some parts
Cam chain
Valve stem seals
Piston rings

I've been looking at the aftermarket for parts as Kawasaki OEM prices are typically crazy (except for cam chains for some reason) and I've seen these piston rings which are like 4 for the almost the same price you'd pay for an OEM 1.

Now I know you get what you pay for, but I also know that if you tried to ground up build any bike from OEM parts, you'd better save up probably double the retail price if not more.

Anyone ever used Chinese piston rings?

An engine builder friend told me...I wouldn't buy them...But they're probably made in the same factory (or next door) as the OEM :mrgreen:

Hmmm.

·
Registered
2,979 Posts
Wossner is German. :) And they are also some of the best pistons I've put hands on. Wossner USA was great to deal with, though that doesn't help you much.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks fellas...

I'm only replacing rings at the moment, and I've seen a decent deal on Wiseco which comes to £90 approx which includes shipping and duty.

I think these were from Orient Express who have a sale on.

Are they any good?

Cheers.

·
Registered
2,979 Posts
Wiesco is an established brand, and they've been around bike pistons for a few decades. You really don't see their name thrown around on too many superbike podiums, but I don't think that's the focus of your current build. :)

That being said, they're only as good as the machinist/builder who puts them in there... there's a lot to be said for good PTW clearance and proper ring gap.

·
Registered
2,161 Posts
Wiesco is an established brand, and they've been around bike pistons for a few decades. You really don't see their name thrown around on too many superbike podiums, but I don't think that's the focus of your current build. :)

That being said, they're only as good as the machinist/builder who puts them in there... there's a lot to be said for good PTW clearance and proper ring gap.
Don't forget about the squish hahahaha.

·
Registered
2,979 Posts
...only if I want to start a fight on whether or not we call it squish or quench. ;)

No matter what you call it, it is super important for high performance... but if you're thinking about off-brand rings or the cheapest-solution rebuild, you really don't need to worry about something a silly as quench, right? :lol: Just get the piston as close to the deck as you dare and let the PTV sort itself out, amiright? ;)

·
Registered
2,161 Posts
...only if I want to start a fight on whether or not we call it squish or quench. ;)

No matter what you call it, it is super important for high performance... but if you're thinking about off-brand rings or the cheapest-solution rebuild, you really don't need to worry about something a silly as quench, right? :lol: Just get the piston as close to the deck as you dare and let the PTV sort itself out, amiright? ;)
You are right, no need to worry about none of that non important stuff:lol: I would skip the rings all together, just make sure you flash your ecu for that..:lol:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.