Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I posted this response in the recall thread, but figured it may be worth its own thread as well.

So, before and after the recall I was having 5th gear issues with my (race) bike (street bike has been fine). Bike didn't want to shift into 5th, especially higher RPMs under a load, and then cutting out at certain RPM ranges while rolling on the gas in 5th gear. Hardly use 6th so wasn't really able to test that very well.

Everyone kept telling me how it wasn't the transmission, had to be electronic. Changed mapping, tried different maps, finally installing the Kit ECU and harness. EXACT same problems. I finally got pissed off and decided to pull the transmission myself because Kawi kept arguing that it wasn't the transmission.

Well, that transmission is tore the f up! I'm fairly pissed seeing as though these issues were present before the recall, which means they didn't even LOOK at the rest of the transmission, just slapped in their recall kit and called it a day.

Here I've been riding around these problems for the better part of a year, everyone telling me it wasn't the transmission.

Symptoms were not typical "bad transmission" issues, as it was rolling on the gas in mid-range RPMs, mostly mid corner. Bike would cut out, then jerk back in, sometimes a couple times. Which was mildly terrifying at those speeds I might add. Mapping changes helped with, but didn't eliminate, the shifting issues, but by this last round I was getting semi-regular false neutrals. Disconnecting the quick shifter helped with the shifting, which seemed fine using the clutch old-school style, which also threw off my "chase" of the real cause.

It's not super common, but I am not the only one I've heard of having these issues. If you have been having them, I'd recommend taking a look at what is going on inside!

Considering Kawasaki sells transmission shims in their "race kit" catalog and says they are there to "help with longevity and positive engagement" there is obviously an issue with the transmission in a track/race environment, which these bikes OUGHT to be built for.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Considering Kawasaki sells transmission shims in their "race kit" catalog and says they are there to "help with longevity and positive engagement" there is obviously an issue with the transmission in a track/race environment, which these bikes OUGHT to be built for.
This adjustment was already done on my bike when I bought it. Comparing my transmission vs. the 100% stock school bikes (same year ZX-10s), it's a noticeable difference in shifting feel..... in a good way!

·
Registered
119 Posts
Dude, I would lose my shit.

Even though it's a long shot.. have you contacted Kawi? I would, considering they gave some doofus who doesnt change his oil multiple motor rebuilds.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Dude, I would lose my shit.

Even though it's a long shot.. have you contacted Kawi? I would, considering they gave some doofus who doesnt change his oil multiple motor rebuilds.
Ya, I did, and basically since it's a "race bike" they'll blame it on anything but poor craftsmanship/not a good design.

My dealer is going to do their best to help me out with parts and such, but ya, I'm not thrilled with the "meh, too bad" attitude from Kawasaki, especially after getting talked into the extended warranty being told they "honored it on a lot of race bikes."

I'm not shocked by that response, pretty much what I expected, but doesn't mean I'm not disappointed that Kawi won't stand behind their bikes being used for what they were "designed for." This bike's engine was completely stock, never been opened except for the recall, so yes, still a little disappointed, but no, not surprised. Oh, and religious oil changes with Kawi oil and OEM filters LOL!

Either way, I'll rebuild it, with the shims, and make sure it's done right. Just glad I found it before something catastrophic happened!

·
Registered
216 Posts
Ya, I did, and basically since it's a "race bike" they'll blame it on anything but poor craftsmanship/not a good design.

My dealer is going to do their best to help me out with parts and such, but ya, I'm not thrilled with the "meh, too bad" attitude from Kawasaki, especially after getting talked into the extended warranty being told they "honored it on a lot of race bikes."

I'm not shocked by that response, pretty much what I expected, but doesn't mean I'm not disappointed that Kawi won't stand behind their bikes being used for what they were "designed for." This bike's engine was completely stock, never been opened except for the recall, so yes, still a little disappointed, but no, not surprised. Oh, and religious oil changes with Kawi oil and OEM filters LOL!

Either way, I'll rebuild it, with the shims, and make sure it's done right. Just glad I found it before something catastrophic happened!
I'm a little behind on the Zx10 issues and just purchased a new 2018. What are the issues with the transmission?

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
43 Posts
I'm a little behind on the Zx10 issues and just purchased a new 2018. What are the issues with the transmission?

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
the thing they put in the thing wasnt as strong as the new thing they needed to put in and could cause the thing to break if you dont do the recall thing

but your thing is a 2018 so you dont need the thing done your thing already has the new thing in the thing

i thing that covers it all

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
the thing they put in the thing wasnt as strong as the new thing they needed to put in and could cause the thing to break if you dont do the recall thing

but your thing is a 2018 so you dont need the thing done your thing already has the new thing in the thing

i thing that covers it all
:crackup: that pretty much covers it, except I DID do the recall thing - mine was one of the first ones done by that dealership, but my issues were with 5th gear, which was NOT covered by the recall thing ;)

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
So I'm needing to replace the input of 2nd all the way through the rest of the transmission. Of course, one gear is on backorder from Japan, and not scheduled to be here until the end of this month - and I have a track day this weekend, next weekend, and a race the following weekend.

Decided that if I'm going to rebuild it, may as well do it right, so will also be sending everything off for "plateauing." Got all the shims as well, so it'll be done RIGHT.

In the meantime, pulled the transmission from my street/B bike, and installed that in the race bike (that one isn't perfect, but only one nicked dog that I could find). Got that all done, bike buttoned back up, reassembled, and took it out for a test ride around the block - at least in 1st-3rd (can't get faster than that in the neighborhood) ran great and shifted like a dream.

First time digging into engine guts for me - do most "normal" maintenance on my bikes, but first time getting in THAT deep. Learned a few lessons, and my tool inventory has been increased LOL, but I'm probably pretty proficient at this now LOL!

·
ZX-10R enthusiast
6,556 Posts
So I'm needing to replace the input of 2nd all the way through the rest of the transmission. Of course, one gear is on backorder from Japan, and not scheduled to be here until the end of this month - and I have a track day this weekend, next weekend, and a race the following weekend.

Decided that if I'm going to rebuild it, may as well do it right, so will also be sending everything off for "plateauing." Got all the shims as well, so it'll be done RIGHT.

In the meantime, pulled the transmission from my street/B bike, and installed that in the race bike (that one isn't perfect, but only one nicked dog that I could find). Got that all done, bike buttoned back up, reassembled, and took it out for a test ride around the block - at least in 1st-3rd (can't get faster than that in the neighborhood) ran great and shifted like a dream.

First time digging into engine guts for me - do most "normal" maintenance on my bikes, but first time getting in THAT deep. Learned a few lessons, and my tool inventory has been increased LOL, but I'm probably pretty proficient at this now LOL!
Plateauing? Nice you have a spare gearbox you can rob off your other Ninja! #goals haha

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Plateauing? Nice you have a spare gearbox you can rob off your other Ninja! #goals haha
Basically a hardening of the gears for race bikes - I've heard it called a few things, but the guy who Canfield referenced me to calls it that. Apparently this guy has been seeing a LOT of gen 5 ZX10R transmissions....wonder why LOL.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts