Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was thinking about doing a valves job on my 14000miles 06 zx10(did 3 trackdays"beginner" and the rest is street)the bike feels ok,good power, I don't hear the valves ticking or anything it's just because if you look in the manual I'm suppose to have a valves job.is it too soon for a valves job?
is it really complicated to check/adjust the valve yourself?who are doing it themselves?
I prefer doing the mechanical myself,I never trust any stealership.when you do it yourself you know it's done right.

·
Registered
10,362 Posts
I was thinking about doing a valves job on my 14000miles 06 zx10(did 3 trackdays"beginner" and the rest is street)the bike feels ok,good power, I don't hear the valves ticking or anything it's just because if you look in the manual I'm suppose to have a valves job.is it too soon for a valves job?
is it really complicated to check/adjust the valve yourself?who are doing it themselves?
I prefer doing the mechanical myself,I never trust any stealership.when you do it yourself you know it's done right.
there been a few threads about this. use the search button and you have to track them down. a lot of people here have done there own.

·
Registered
524 Posts
:thumbsup:I'm with ya on not letting the dealership do any work. I'll buy whatever tools I need to do whatever work I do. It's a good investment and like you say, at least it's done correctly.

·
Registered
609 Posts
Nothing difficult, more attention to detail than anything. I would suggest a set of true valve type feeler gauges. These are the ones that have a little handle on each gauge. They make it much easier to get an accurate reading than a standard feeler gauge that tends to twist and bind. Also a good time to pick up an inch pound torque wrench if you don't already have one. The cheapo version is fine for the DIYer.

·
Registered
2,887 Posts
...+1

It's a lot of parts to remove, but it's all simple stuff. BTW, you won't ever hear valves get tight, which is what they usually do on the first check. If they get tight enough you'll eventally burn a seat, and by the time you notice it will be too late. It's really worth the effort to check them on schedule.

Cheers

·
Registered
47 Posts
umm yeah, i wouldnt reccomend you do this by yourself unless you are entirely confident in what you are doing. I mean anyone can stick a feeler guage under a cam and measure tolerance, but if it comes down to auctually replacing a shim, then you are in for alot of work. If you get a valve (out of the 16) that is out of tolerance, then you have to take your camchain tensioner out, find a way to hold your cam chain in so that it dosent fall into your case, and then take your cams out, and be able to put them back in without changing the position that they were in even a single degree. Oh adn btw, make sure you are in TDC, and that you have a new valve cover gasket. Im telling you I do valves all the time man, its a rough job.

·
Registered
52 Posts
:+1:
Im about to do my valves on my 04 zx10 and just invest in good feeler gauges and that torque wrench hands down, cause your gonna need it thats for sure, im adjusting mine at 10kmiles im at 9700 now so a couple of more gas tanks and everythings coming off and time for some new royal purp along with that those new valve shims.
Oh BTW you can mix and match up your valve shims and then just buy the ones you need, so save some extra money just my .02 cents

·
Registered
1,606 Posts
Hey guys, does anyone have a link to where I can find a "good" set of feeler gauges online? I have shopped all the usual spots and the gauges are all too wide. seems to me they are set up for automotive.

·
Registered
609 Posts
Hey guys, does anyone have a link to where I can find a "good" set of feeler gauges online? I have shopped all the usual spots and the gauges are all too wide. seems to me they are set up for automotive.
Try motion pro. Seems like I recall them making a set.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Drain Fade did a " How to " for the 2nd Gen. Here's his web site.

http://drainfade.com/tech_writeups/zx10r_valves.html

Here's the thread.
http://zx-10r.net/forum/showthread.p...lve+adjustment
thanks a lot KAWI1000 for this, that's exatly what I needed, a how to with pictures.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts