Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey yall. I just picked up a brand new 2010 about 3 months ago. I now have almost 4k miles on it and and wanting more power. I'm wondering what are some cheap mods for hp...besides the usual exhaust, filter, sprockets. Any help would be appreciated.

·
Registered
148 Posts
You mentioned sprockets; they are one of the cheapest improvements that give A LOT of bang for the buck. Also, 1/5 throttle insert makes a world of difference and it is very cheap.

·
Registered
549 Posts
Hey yall. I just picked up a brand new 2010 about 3 months ago. I now have almost 4k miles on it and and wanting more power. I'm wondering what are some cheap mods for hp...besides the usual exhaust, filter, sprockets. Any help would be appreciated.
Hey welcome, post some pics of your bike why dontcha?

Cheap mods for HP?... I really don't think there are any..they all cost $$ if you want HP..dunno, anyone else comment?

·
Registered
6,028 Posts
race cams, $115 shipped from Ron Ayers

·
Registered
6,028 Posts
http://www.ronayers.com/ProductDetails/N/687/SKU/1332019

I dont know if you can actually find it through just browsing, I punch in the part # from the 08-09 Race Manual: #49118-0134, 296* Duration, 9.7mm Lift

I didnt look for the exhaust side either. The race exh cam has 12* more duration with no change in lift. You could just flip your stock int to exh side and get the 12* duration and add 1.2mm lift if you wanted to, probably

Reactions: JLG0987

·
Registered
6,028 Posts
the question is about how mechanically inclined you are. Doing it would not be too big of a deal, but you do need to get under the valve cover to change them. If you are comfortable with getting that far, the cams are pretty much right there. Yes, you without any remote doubt should be doing the valve clearance. You should also do your spark plugs while youre in there too.

This will also help you set your cams too.
http://www.zx-10r.net/forum/showthread.php?t=84083&highlight=race+camshaft

·
Registered
148 Posts
Rifleman's 1/5 throttle insert is a piece that you install on the throttle tube that increases throttle response by 20%. It basically increases the diameter of the part of the throttle tube that the throttle cable rides on, thereby reducing the amount you have to twist the throttle to accelerate.

·
All show and all go 10r
5,921 Posts
http://www.ronayers.com/ProductDetails/N/687/SKU/1332019

I dont know if you can actually find it through just browsing, I punch in the part # from the 08-09 Race Manual: #49118-0134, 296* Duration, 9.7mm Lift

I didnt look for the exhaust side either. The race exh cam has 12* more duration with no change in lift. You could just flip your stock int to exh side and get the 12* duration and add 1.2mm lift if you wanted to, probably
thanks man rep sent.

·
Registered
6,028 Posts
listen to OP, 4 deg more duration is going to give you lots a horsepower for $115 lol
:eek:ccasion1
Id imagine that if you were to pop the stock intake on the exhaust side, you would probably yield some nice gains too. With the change in lift from factory exhaust to factory intake though, better springs may be in order. I dont know though because A) I dont have a 3rd Gen and B) I have not done it.

·
Registered
2,161 Posts
:eek:ccasion1
Id imagine that if you were to pop the stock intake on the exhaust side, you would probably yield some nice gains too. With the change in lift from factory exhaust to factory intake though, better springs may be in order. I dont know though because A) I dont have a 3rd Gen and B) I have not done it.
I was being sarcastic :crackup:, but on a positive note, your advices always give me something to laugh about:eek:ccasion1

·
Registered
6,028 Posts
damn, I must be a blithering idiot then. why kind of dumb shit would listen to the Kawi Race manual on how to make their bike a little quicker? fuck me huh

·
Registered
2,161 Posts
damn, I must be a blithering idiot then. why kind of dumb shit would listen to the Kawi Race manual on how to make their bike a little quicker? fuck me huh
why don't you use your brain and think what would 4 deg of duration will do to the power level of a stock 3rd gen that already makes peak power all the way at the redline.......... .5hp for $115 plus labor............ that ain't cheap lol. Sometimes its ok to say hey I don't know the answear than making some things up lol:heyyou:

Btw I do run race cam, and ran stock 08 cam before.................I've gained absolutely 0, have time slips, what I don't have is a race manual that says it makes power lol

·
Registered
779 Posts
why don't you use your brain and think what would 4 deg of duration will do to the power level of a stock 3rd gen that already makes peak power all the way at the redline.......... .5hp for $115 plus labor............ that ain't cheap lol. Sometimes its ok to say hey I don't know the answear than making some things up lol:heyyou:
Those cams don't make awesome numbers on the dyno, but you pull back on that throttle and tell me if its worth $115. I spent about 300 to 400 in my motor and it runs a lot better even with stiff ass valve springs and stock exhaust! The mods are in my signature all the motor specific stuff was done recently.

·
Registered
6,028 Posts

Btw I do run race cam, and ran stock 08 cam before.................I've gained absolutely 0, have time slips, what I don't have is a race manual that says it makes power lol
Well lets go on then because I have 2 questions for you. 1) Timeslips from what? drag? road race? what skill level are you at that you are so capable of determining it did nothing? Poster above me saw positive gains for the cam, why didnt you? 2) If its so dumb to just add 4* duration from a cam, why did you even bother installing it? If using your brain is order, why didn't you, and not blow the money for it?

Did you even notice that I posted a How-To for degreeing cams too, so that you can have them set to shift power how whoever is having the cams installed desires them to be?

·
Registered
2,161 Posts
Well lets go on then because I have 2 questions for you. 1) Timeslips from what? drag? road race? what skill level are you at that you are so capable of determining it did nothing? Poster above me saw positive gains for the cam, why didnt you? 2) If its so dumb to just add 4* duration from a cam, why did you even bother installing it? If using your brain is order, why didn't you, and not blow the money for it?

Did you even notice that I posted a How-To for degreeing cams too, so that you can have them set to shift power how whoever is having the cams installed desires them to be?
slips from the dragstrip, 300 of them lol. And dyno sheets lol.

·
Registered
779 Posts
My bike has never been on a dyno, and the cams are in straight up/not degreed. My bike is faster with less gearing and a longer wheelbase. Before you say the WB is why the bike picked up its not, my 60' currently sucks (1.50) and its still runs low 5.9's on motor. I have have slips from when I was bone stock on a 20 shot, and my motor numbers are killing my old N2O numbers. Again never been tuned or on a dyno, hell I just threw some full at for when I spray. My bike has the potential to go 60's on motor, my set up works!

1 - 20 of 25 Posts