Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4,682 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im thinking about getting some chatter boxxes but heard good things and bad so need your oppinion

·
Registered
4,682 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
damb no response damb! OK how many HP will aq chatterbox give me

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
A chatterbox will give you at least -5 HP, cause you'll allways be dicking around with it instead of twisting the throttle properly.
Honestly, I just picked one up last week. I have never (in 15 years of street riding) listened to anything like a walkman, radio, CD player before, and never really wanted to either. I like listening to the bike just fine, however a good majority of the guys I ride with have chatter, and they swear by it, so I finally broke down and bought an X-1(the 5 mi. box). Here's the catch with the X-1 to X-2 communications:
1. the X-1 uses both FRS And GMRS. FRS is channels 1-7 and GPRS is channels 8-15.
2. You will only get close to 5 mi. range when using the GMRS channels.
3. FRS transmits @ 1/2 watt output power and GMRS @ 2 watts, hence the longer range. With this additional range comes less talk time (battery life).
4. X-2 boxes are FRS Only, and can not talk to an X-1 using the upper channels(8-15).
5. X-1's and X-2's can talk to each other on Channels 1-7, and any of the sub-chanels on 1-7. If all your friends have X-2's and talk on channel 12, an X-1 will not be able to communicate with them.
6. X-2's and X-1's running in FRS "Claim" 2 mi. range. On flat ground, in reality, the range is about 1.25- 1.5 mi. Throw in hills, forests, rock cuts and the like and the range will be about .75 mi. give or take.
7. the X-1 running on GMRS channels will have a real world, level ground range of about 4 mi. and a hilly, foresty terrain range of about 1.5-3.5 depending.
The best part of the chatter, IMHO is being able to talk to your hikee without screaming, and for her to be able to enjoy your MP3 player along with you. The downside to this is the jungle of vines growing out of the box on your helmet! One wire for MP3, one for the phone/radar/whatever, one for the hikee headset and one for the hikee's PTT button, that's a lot of damn wires!
Riding by yourself on the other hand, is pretty nice. Plug into the MP3 player, sit back and enjoy the tunes and company of the guys you're with. They are pretty handy for calling out cops, slow/dangerous cars, sh*t in the road, whatever. I find that when riding at a spirited pace in the twisties, I still turn the box off. I don't like anyone disturbing me while I work, nor do I care for music while working :) but it's nice for the commute to and from the canyons!

There you go, one opinion on chatter!
gladding

·
Registered
4,682 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
hey thanks man thats awsome. i got friends that ride and 2 of them have them but everyone else is like "well i'll get one if more people get on so i'll be the third.

·
Registered
5,968 Posts
I bought a brand new X-1 on E-bay for around $236.00

It is great when you are riding with buddies...you can talk...."watch out for the PoPo to the right...or, did you see the Hooters on that one?..."

·
Registered
218 Posts
If you travel at high speed alot.........the wind resistance will kill your neck............!!!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts