Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
774 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
started having batt issues last week, to the point where the headlight was dark, but i could push start.
got a new battery from batteries+. put it on 1.5amp charger till the light indicated charged. didn't ride it till today. about 10 miles from home i tried to start it, it turned slow, but started. then 2 hours later it turned over slowly, then i hear the tell-tale clicking of a dead battery. push started it again. on the way home i smell something strange. don't know how to describe it. i smelled that b4, since i began having this problem. is that the charging system burning up maybe?
batteries back on charge then i suppose i'll take it (batt) to get tested.
if it is the charging system, how much are the common components? i'm pretty broke:sad:

·
Registered
774 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It could be your stator or rectifier.........Ebay is your friend.....Stators go for like $100 and rectifiers are around $75.....
is that shit hard to get to/replace?
thanks

·
Registered
3,204 Posts
Simple replacement, just messy (stator) cause you have to drain your oil and take off your left stator cover.

·
Registered
774 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Simple replacement, just messy (stator) cause you have to drain your oil and take off your left stator cover.
gonna attempt it on a few days hopefully. any instructions anywhere? or self explanatory

·
Registered
3,204 Posts
gonna attempt it on a few days hopefully. any instructions anywhere? or self explanatory
Remove your left side fairing, drain your oil, remove stator cover, remove bolts holding the stator, unplug stator, then reverse steps to install new stator.

·
Registered
774 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Remove your left side fairing, drain your oil, remove stator cover, remove bolts holding the stator, unplug stator, then reverse steps to install new stator.
sounds great.
someone said it's tricky tucking the wires to prevent becoming chafed. maybe he was trying to scare me into paying him $50 hr?

·
Registered
2,658 Posts
You should be able to do it alone, no worries. Just undrestand how they are bolt on the cover before you unplug them. If you have problems post pics, we can guide you from there.

Generally it's not a good idea to push start modern bikes, the stators get damaged. 04 cbr100's are notorious for this, one time was enough...
But i understand it's the only "quick" solution when you are out riding...

·
Registered
774 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
You should be able to do it alone, no worries. Just undrestand how they are bolt on the cover before you unplug them. If you have problems post pics, we can guide you from there.

Generally it's not a good idea to push start modern bikes, the stators get damaged. 04 cbr100's are notorious for this, one time was enough...
But i understand it's the only "quick" solution when you are out riding...
going for it this wknd.
do i need to drain the oil?
thanks

1 - 12 of 12 Posts