Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Need your help diagnosing issues on a 2006 zx10r. I experienced starting issues and thought I had a bad battery, so I replaced it with a new one, but the problems persisted. I realized the battery was not getting charged, so I contacted the local dealer and they informed me the stators on gen2s were prone to failure. So I checked my stator and sure enough, the original stator was toast. I replaced it with an aftermarket stator and thought I was done...
Within a week of riding, battery died again. I haven't taken it apart yet, but I'm pretty sure the stator is the culprit again.

What could be causing this? I did the recommended alternator diagnosis and there are no issues there.
A couple of people told me gen2s had crankshaft issues? Is this true? If so, shouldn't I experience other symptoms such as knocking, rough idle, blown engine, etc? I would think a bent crankshaft would have more serious consequences.

I'd like to hear your thoughts before opening up the engine only to find out the issue was pure electrical and not mechanical. If you have any suggestions or have experienced this before I would appreciate your help.

Thanks

·
Registered
84 Posts
Definitely electrical.

If you just changed the stator you probably tested the system with the old stator, right?

Did you get less than 60V between two black wires coming from the stator @4000RPM or resistance not in between 0.1 and 0.2 Ohm when you tested it before? Are these values in range now, with the new stator?

Now, @ 4000RPM what is the voltage you read on the battery?

If you are getting the right reading from the stator, but the wrong one at the battery you have a rectifier problem. There is also a table in the service manual showing how to get the rectifier tested. If you've got a faulty one I recommend using a mosfet universal rectifier. That thing is bullet proof.

But before everything else, are you sure all connections are tight and good? Those bullet connectors (I think Kawasaki uses them) are better than the knife ones, but are also problematic sometimes...

·
Registered
771 Posts
Did u nick the coating?
That's the quickest way to smoke a stator.
Test for ac voltage in all legs.
If it has ac bolts put a rectifier in it

·
Registered
196 Posts
Usually when the stator goes, the rectifier most likely goes as well, because it's being over worked. I wouldn't rule out the stator being bad again. You said it was aftermarket so you never know. When it comes to any major electrical parts, I always get OEM. More pricey but it's worth it.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts