Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
388 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just ordered a 16t Afam.Can anyone tell me how to change them out?
I heard it was easy,but I have never looked into it.I also ordered,LP
carbon fiber frame sliders,carbon fiber bar ends,and a Devil carbon fiber
high mount slip on.All thanks to Cal-Sportbikes.Once again they give
the best deals,plus discounts for being a forum member.Big applause to
Shelley.She is the best.If you read this Todd,she needs a raise.She went
out of her way to help me with a few purchases.Thanks again.

·
Hillbillie Mod
20,155 Posts
FOR THE sprocket its best to have an impact. Its really easy w/ one. Actually I wouldn't do it any other way.

·
Registered
5,042 Posts
You may want to have a shop take the front sprocket off for you. I couldnt get mine to budge the guys in the shop had to put a blow torch to it to get it to loosen, plus they only charged me 20 bucks and I saved myself some shaved knuckles and lots of swearing :D

·
Hillbillie Mod
20,155 Posts
Frankyoz said:
You may want to have a shop take the front sprocket off for you. I couldnt get mine to budge the guys in the shop had to put a blow torch to it to get it to loosen, plus they only charged me 20 bucks and I saved myself some shaved knuckles and lots of swearing :D
Ha! Knucles and swearing..? When I had my old 7R (I cant beleive Im posting this on the internet... :oops: )
I tried to change the front sprocket and wedged a stick in the rear rim and used a breakerbar on the sprocket nut. To make a long story short, I knocked the bike over...on me. The 7R is not a light bike. Be careful and definately learn from my retardation. [smilie=b:

·
Registered
5,042 Posts
hillcountry10r said:
Frankyoz said:
Ha! Knucles and swearing..? When I had my old 7R (I cant beleive Im posting this on the internet... :oops: )
I tried to change the front sprocket and wedged a stick in the rear rim and used a breakerbar on the sprocket nut. To make a long story short, I knocked the bike over...on me. The 7R is not a light bike. Be careful and definately learn from my retardation. [smilie=b:[/quote]
Ouch that had to hurt, but hey how does the old saying go, "A wise man learns from the mistakes of others, A fool only learns from his own."

·
Registered
3,063 Posts
Hmmm, not what i want to hear considering mine will be hear Tuesday. How 'bout a big ass breaker bar? This should work right? Please, someone play mindgames with me and say yes :shock: .

·
Registered
3,063 Posts
hillcountry10r said:
Frankyoz said:
I tried to change the front sprocket and wedged a stick in the rear rim and used a breakerbar on the sprocket nut. To make a long story short, I knocked the bike over...on me. The 7R is not a light bike. Be careful and definately learn from my retardation. [smilie=b:[/quote]
Concerning my above post, in reference to this post, breaker bar yes but preferably not in this fashion :D

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
Hillcountry, I think most ZX7R owners have gone through some sort of trauma like what you described. I know I did. I wrapped a breaker bar in towels, slid it through the swingarm and rear rim, then proceeded to bust all of my knuckles open on the concrete floor when the 3/4" drive I was using on the CS sprocket nut slipped off and drove my hand into the floor with my 175 lb. body directly behind and travelling close to the speed of light. Not fun! Then, I got really smart. I put the bike in the back of the truck, went to the local auto shop and borrowed an airgun for about 3/4 of a second. Problem solved. I haven't tried removing the 10's yet, but knowing the way Kawi likes to tighten bolts(the big ones Von, not the fairing and tail section ones:) at the factory, I'm pretty sure it's had about 342,879 ft-lbs. of torque put on it. I'll be back at the auto shop soon.
Cheers!

·
MIA Post Whore
8,727 Posts
Big ass breaker bar and a buddy to hold the bike. Take no shortcuts. My bike just snarled and then laughed at the air impact. It took a four foot breaker bar and my lard ass to break it free. ..and then it wasn't easy!

·
Registered
516 Posts
I used an impact and a 6pt deep socket and was supprised at how easy it came off after reading the horror stories from earlier posts on this subject. Use your back brake to hold the chain and gear, if you put it in gear you could damage your tranny.

Good luck,
Mike

·
Я - Ребен&#108
3,532 Posts
BIKEMIKE said:
I used an impact and a 6pt deep socket and was supprised at how easy it came off after reading the horror stories from earlier posts on this subject. Use your back brake to hold the chain and gear, if you put it in gear you could damage your tranny.

Good luck,
Mike

yea I took mines off last weekend, it was rather easy, The first thing many folks might over look is the part of the flat washer thats bent up so the nut wont back off.

I flatened that and used a breaker bar and socket and BAPPP!!!! it was off.

I did put it in gear, also.

·
Registered
34,537 Posts
miykl said:
Big ass breaker bar and a buddy to hold the bike. Take no shortcuts. My bike just snarled and then laughed at the air impact. It took a four foot breaker bar and my lard ass to break it free. ..and then it wasn't easy!
Please give Websters definition of 'Lard Ass'

BD

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
In my Oxford(sorry, no webster's here) unabridged dictionary, Lard Ass is defined as follows:

·
Registered
317 Posts
Whats up with 7's my buddy did the same ground drop when changin his sprocket... Oh and he ended up buying a electric impact wrench, and returning it a hour later. And strange as it is My F4's countershaft sprocket came off with no effort whatsover. Sitting on the bike with foot on brake, and a 3/8" drive with a extension to get out beyond the frame. Took all of 20 seconds.

·
I really need to get out of the house
11,176 Posts
gladding24 said:
In my Oxford(sorry, no webster's here) unabridged dictionary, Lard Ass is defined as follows:

Alternate definition:

Sorry resus, couldn't resist.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts