Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
913 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Do I need to use that dielectric grease on the threads and on the top of the spark plug for where the boot goes on?

·
Chairman of the Board
15,998 Posts
I always use it. I dont think its a NEED to do type of thing though. I just figure as much of a pain as it is to change the plugs I may as well cross all the tee's and dot all the i's while Im in there.

·
Registered
913 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The manual says to replace them at 7500 I am way past that

·
Bloo Moderator
23,742 Posts
The manual says to replace them at 7500 I am way past that
I am going to have to talk to Scout he is giving advice that is not advisable without facts. :badteeth:

I have personally talked to NGK themselves and they told me the Stock plugs will go much longer than 7500 miles but they didn't give an absolute # how much longer after that....so I would say not a hard stop to replace at 7500 just get ready to do it soon after no biggie. :idea:

bloo

·
Bloo Moderator
23,742 Posts
Do I need to use that dielectric grease on the threads and on the top of the spark plug for where the boot goes on?
No some are giving bad advise....Dielectric grease is for the Spark Plug boots/top of spark plug, Anti Seize compound is for the Spark plug Threads themselves...I do both on Spark Plug changes. :wink:

Bloo

·
Registered
913 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I am at 10,500 miles and also they been in the bike since 2007. Lots of years and miles. Did you guys ever run seafoam gas treatment in the gas tank for the fuel injection cleaning? I'm wondering if I should do that to help clear out some of the carbon crap that is in there from the throttle body cleaning thing that I did because the bike was spitting out carbon snowflakes when I started it, but I'm assuming that was just in the exhaust getting broke up though!

·
Chairman of the Board
15,998 Posts
My apologies. As dricked and Bloo said, the dielectric grease is for the top. The threads get Never Seize.

·
REPOST Enforcement Mod
13,541 Posts
I am at 10,500 miles and also they been in the bike since 2007. Lots of years and miles. Did you guys ever run seafoam gas treatment in the gas tank for the fuel injection cleaning? I'm wondering if I should do that to help clear out some of the carbon crap that is in there from the throttle body cleaning thing that I did because the bike was spitting out carbon snowflakes when I started it, but I'm assuming that was just in the exhaust getting broke up though!
No. Quit putting that shit in your motor! :wink: The best way to keep carbon buildup off your valves is to keep them hot by running the motor fairly hard. The throttlebodies don't get carbon buildup on them because that's a byproduct of the combustion process.

·
Registered
913 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I actually just did a seafoam search and someone was asking about it and you said just put it in your gas tank Lol! 2013! ?

·
REPOST Enforcement Mod
13,541 Posts
I actually just did a seafoam search and someone was asking about it and you said just put it in your gas tank Lol! 2013! ?
Yes, I've recommended it before and still do. But YOU seem to have an addiction to putting these additives in your bike! If you're worried about over spraying throttlebody cleaner in there, why put seafoam in your fuel tank now? Seafoam isn't for carbon buildup, it's more to help clean out the old gummed up fuel in the system. Which is different than what you said you wanted to put it in your tank for. :heyyou: You don't need it and should stop fretting over more snake oil. :mrgreen:

·
Registered
913 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Well since 2007 I've only put 10,000 miles on it so there was a few years there were maybe I did 500 miles in the season I've never really done any maintenance to it this season was the first time I change my air filter since 2008 I don't have an addiction to putting things in my bike I'm just trying to get it back in shape right now making sure that the fuel system is clean. I want to start riding like I used to when I was a teenager which is all the fucking time :) i'm just giving her a makeover

·
REPOST Enforcement Mod
13,541 Posts
Well since 2007 I've only put 10,000 miles on it so there was a few years there were maybe I did 500 miles in the season I've never really done any maintenance to it this season was the first time I change my air filter since 2008 I don't have an addiction to putting things in my bike I'm just trying to get it back in shape right now making sure that the fuel system is clean. I want to start riding like I used to when I was a teenager which is all the fucking time :) i'm just giving her a makeover

I use the term addiction in a fun sarcastic way. I get the fact you wanna get it running and start riding it again. The best thing you can do for the bike is to just run it. So my advice is to not worry any more about adding stuff to the tank and just go run it!

·
Registered
913 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I have a delivery from Dennis kirk.com a new Dunlop Q3 rear tire, 43 tooth sprocket because my 45 is to Torquey for my liking, when I lay on the gas tank in second gear I want the front end to stay down. Although the +5 is amazingly fun and quick I just want to try a different gear ratio who knows maybe I'll go back . I've been doing mostly highway riding the last few years and I thought my tire was fine because the treads were great on the sides but I didn't realize that my treads were worn off completely on the middle and I didn't even know that there was treads there until I noticed one little line with the tread indicator. Lol. being that that tire lasted for so many years because I didn't ride that much I completely forgot whatever look like in the beginning. Not only that I realized it was the wrong size, 190-50. I wanted a 190-55

·
Bloo Moderator
23,742 Posts
My apologies. As dricked and Bloo said, the dielectric grease is for the top. The threads get Never Seize.
Actually it appears Dricked and Skydork don't believe in Anti-Seize compound and that's ok. I did a little research and it appears this is a very controversial subject even with NKG.

The main complaint by NKG seems they are advertising they have special metals to compensate for the seizing condition and the compound causes over torquing but that still doesn't explain how that can be if the main torque point is at the top crush washer. :dontknow:

The other Arguments against this thinking is dissimilar metals can cause bridges to create seizing and the Torquing doesn't come from the Threads anyway but the top washer when you torque.

So with that I will retract my past statement Anti-Seize compound is not necessary but at the same time I have never seen it hurt either been doing it for well over 15yrs and all my bikes had no problems with HP or anything else related to spark plugs and always came out easy too. :wink:

Anyway carry on just FYI stuff for those that care. :thumbsup:

Bloo

·
Registered
2,823 Posts
There are some automobile applications that it can be a good idea to use it, the 2005-2007 ford 4.6 and 5.4 liter engines are a fine example.

That said the over torquing thing is also true. I have been to a few classes and seen first hand guys use anti seize or grease on wheel lug nuts. It is not recommended to use on things like that where proper torque is needed. Over torque and you can warp rotors, under torque and well wheels can fall off.

Me personally I have never used anti seize on a motorcycle application. Then again I do not leave plugs in for 60-100k plus miles like people do in automobiles.

·
Bloo Moderator
23,742 Posts
There are some automobile applications that it can be a good idea to use it, the 2005-2007 ford 4.6 and 5.4 liter engines are a fine example.

That said the over torquing thing is also true. I have been to a few classes and seen first hand guys use anti seize or grease on wheel lug nuts. It is not recommended to use on things like that where proper torque is needed. Over torque and you can warp rotors, under torque and well wheels can fall off.

Me personally I have never used anti seize on a motorcycle application. Then again I do not leave plugs in for 60-100k plus miles like people do in automobiles.

That's a perfect example why this can be conflicting using it versus not using it...........believe me I have thought about not using it but it always came back to the history and success of using it and it never hurt one BIT...so I will continue. :wink: ...again stating you don't have to use it just posting my results with it that's all. :biggrin:

bloo

1 - 20 of 30 Posts