Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3,204 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited by Moderator)
Here's some pics of how to change plugs on a 04/05 zx10r, hope this helps the ones that are a bit confused with the process. I have most pics, only forgotten the ones of actually removal of the caps and plugs. SORRY!

Let's begin,

****IMPORTANT****
To remove your airbox once you've unplugged everything, you have to twist the box counter clockwise!

As I stated above, I forgot to take pics of the actual removal of the caps and spark plugs themselves, but it's pretty much self explanatory once you have gotten this far.

Once removing the old spark plugs, replace with the new plugs, be sure to use the electro grease on the tips of the plugs and the bottom of the caps. When pushing the caps onto the spark plugs, you'll feel a few clicks, if you don't hear or feel that, then your boots aren't quite mounted onto your spark plugs.

BE SURE TO MAKE SURE EVERYTHING IS PUT BACK THE SAME WAY YOU TOOK THEM OFF!!! If not, your bike may not run right or you'll get the FI light. A lot of people tend to forget to plug in the sensor on the rear of the airbox when finishing the job.

If any of you guys have any advice or have anything to add on to this, feel free to do so.

It's a fairly easy job, it's just time consuming, it took me about 2 hours to do this one while taking pics, I went to change the plugs on my other 10's and it took about an hour.

Mods can sticky this if ya feel this is good enough to be stickied.

Discuss this Thread here: http://www.zx-10r.net/forum/showthread.php?t=94652

·
Registered
681 Posts
Ahhh...one IMPORTANT revision. You want to use dielectric grease on the spark plugs but NOT on the very tips of the plugs or any metal surface. Dielectric grease is engineered as a current blocker and you do not want any of it interrupting the circuit. You only want to put a little on the ceramic portion of the plug and on the inside plastic surface of the wire end that contacts the ceramic portion. It acts as a lubricant to allow easier removal of the spark plug wires while at the same time helping to block any current escaping if there's a failure of those components.

·
Registered
Gen 1 Spark Black and HP4 Competition.
125 Posts
Hi M
9 years and 4 months to get a comment and a grateful one at that :D
ic
Brilliant... cheers
Michael, that was a superb set of instructions and pics mate, thanks a mil, sorry I never undertook a plug change till now lol... I've just done mine over the last few nights, cleaning as I went. I just bought this C1 last Saturday, looked OK when I picked it up but it needs a bit of TLC..the plugs are a bit of a marathon..I'll post up images when I figure out how.. probably use tapatalk it's generally easier.

·
Registered
1,442 Posts
Hi M

ic

Michael, that was a superb set of instructions and pics mate, thanks a mil, sorry I never undertook a plug change till now lol... I've just done mine over the last few nights, cleaning as I went. I just bought this C1 last Saturday, looked OK when I picked it up but it needs a bit of TLC..the plugs are a bit of a marathon..I'll post up images when I figure out how.. probably use tapatalk it's generally easier.
Just to clarify that the original post is not mine! I was just highlighting that it was posted such a long time ago and has received some recognition at last.

·
Registered
Gen 1 Spark Black and HP4 Competition.
125 Posts
Some pics of my plug change.. I scoped the bores and plug recesses.

The coil stalks were covered in years old thick grease. I used die electric grease on the outsides to keep them lubed for next time.

The most time consuming single job on renovating this old girl so far.. air filter was pretty bad too.

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

1 - 9 of 9 Posts