Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
How involved of a process is changing the fork oil and replacing the fork seals? One of my forks is a tiny bit leaky and I'd like to replace the seals (and the oil could use replacing anyways).

Now my mechanical experience is limited... I've done easier stuff like swapping brake calipers and flushing/replacing the brake fluid. How difficult is it to change fork oil? Is it something you think I can handle? Is there a big chance I can screw something up and make it unsafe? Am I better off having a shop do it for me (and how much would they charge)?

Also, do I have to remove the forks or anything complicated like that?

Thanks

·
Registered
61 Posts
you need to remove the forks. a vice helps. you may also need a special tool to remove the old oil seals. its not a hard job or very time consuming but you have to get the weight off the forks to remove them(duh rocketman) i did my own on my gen 2 it took me about an hour or so being very careful to keep everything clean. i think i put 500cc each back in both forks. also i mistakenly routed the throttle cables OUTSIDE the forks instead of INBETWEEN them which caused them to kink and eventually wear through, and the throttle would hang open when i turned the wheel to the left. fun for about 3000 miles untill i replaced them. all in all i would say if you can change your oil and filter you can do fork seals.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hmm.. the service manual shows all these special tools and crap. Do I really need any of those? Or do i just put it in a vice and pull?

·
Registered
474 Posts
Fork seal are quite a bit more involved than changing engine oil and filter.Shop time is 2 hours with forks off the bike,3 hrs. on bike.That is to totally disassemble and clean all components and replace seals and wipers.If you have never done this before or at least watched someone do it,you might want to take it to a shop.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Fork seal are quite a bit more involved than changing engine oil and filter.Shop time is 2 hours with forks off the bike,3 hrs. on bike.That is to totally disassemble and clean all components and replace seals and wipers.If you have never done this before or at least watched someone do it,you might want to take it to a shop.
Ah thanks for the shop input.

I might be better off taking the forks off myself (I can handle that) and taking them to the shop. They charge 65 per hour so total bill with parts and everything should hopefully be under $200...

·
Registered
586 Posts
I try to do all of my own maintenance, but for jobs like this where the forks need removed. Its easier to just suck it up and take it to a shop you can trust. So far the one I use seems ok, They have done my forks, and head bearing retorque (12 bucks) and my tire change. No flaws in their work so far...

·
Registered
474 Posts
Ah thanks for the shop input.

I might be better off taking the forks off myself (I can handle that) and taking them to the shop. They charge 65 per hour so total bill with parts and everything should hopefully be under $200...
Your welcome/sounds like a good plan

1 - 8 of 8 Posts