Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, this is my first post, so hopefully it goes well...

I own an 08 zx10, and I need to change out my air filter. This is my first bike, so I have been learning how to do my own maintenance as i go along. Does anyone have or mind putting together a tutorial, with photographs, as to how to take the gas tank and everything off so I can swap the filter out? I actually learned how to change my oil when I first got my bike from a post on here (thank you so much!!), so I was hoping lightning could strike twice, so to speak. I am a visual learner, so the photos are what would help the most.

Any help is greatly appreciated!! :rolleyes:

·
All show and all go 10r
5,921 Posts
there already might be something in the how-to section. I haven't done it myself. It would also probably be in the service manual with pictures which I believe there is a link. I think I have it I'll take a look.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks a bunch! I actually had the manual already, and maybe I'm just daft, but I can't find where it has the gas tank removal. I found the actual page for removing the filter, but I need to get the gas tank off first. Do you know which page it is?

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'm changing mine at 11,000 although the manual says to do it at 7,500 i think.

·
Registered
1,688 Posts
It's very simple.

Unbolt the front of the tank, lift it and either prop it up or preferably remove the bolt in the back.

Now you can either remove the tank or just twist it sideways and let it sit there.

There are I think 7 phillps head screws in the top of the airbox and 1 hex. Take those out and remove the top half of the airbox.

Theres your filter. I clean mine every couple thousand miles.

·
Registered
3,318 Posts
It's very simple.

Unbolt the front of the tank, lift it and either prop it up or preferably remove the bolt in the back.

Now you can either remove the tank or just twist it sideways and let it sit there.

There are I think 7 phillps head screws in the top of the airbox and 1 hex. Take those out and remove the top half of the airbox.

Theres your filter. I clean mine every couple thousand miles.
Don't forget the one in the center of the airbox.

Try to use a magnetic screwdriver as if one of the screws falls it will end up in your frame and then it will be a bitch to try and get it out.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Do I need to remove the steering damper as well?

·
Registered
457 Posts
No, just flip the damper up out of the way - I put a welding glove over mine so it doesn't scratch anything or get scratched. You can wrap it up with a towel for the same effect.

On another note (sorry for the jack): anyone bust off the upper airbox bolt? Torquing on with 62 in-lb, as service manual says, and I snapped it off. Yay! I get to extract the stub left in the frame. Suggestions on how to extract? I have a few ideas and have extracted stubs before, but I appreciate constructive suggestions.

·
Registered
825 Posts
Use a small size drill bit,make sure you drill right in the centre of the broken stud,drill down enough so you can use a small ezy-out and it will unscrew out.At 62 in-lb it should come out easy

·
Registered
457 Posts
Did exactly that - for those Canucks out there, I bought the Princess Auto special, punched very carefully, then drilled slowly/carefully and it did turn out very easy with the ez-out bit included in the kit (has 5 different hss bits and matching ez-outs). Watch those bolts, everyone! Gotta wait 4 days for Kawi dealer to get one in (only $1ish, so not getting killed on the price).

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Just wanted to say thanks. Got it replaced with little to no trouble. :cool:
Even had time to install the alarm I've been meaning to get around to doing.

·
Registered
139 Posts
no need to remove the Steering Dampner, just the two Hex heads that hold the top of the tank. then flip the dampner back. there are 9 black phillips head screws. the one in the middle doesnt need to come out and the two on the side stay in as well. there are two at the top and four at the bottom. I just did it 5 mins ago. pretty easy, i used a bungie cord connected to the top of the garage to hold the tank up.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts