Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,128 Posts
Yeah its just on tight man. Get a pair of channel locks to get it off or an oil filter wrench. Be sure when you put it back on to grease the oring or oil it at least before putting it on. It will help you get it off easier next time. Also don't use a wrench to tighten it on. Just do it about as tight as you can go with your hands. Maybe just a tweek with an oil filter wrench if you just have to. If you tighten it with an oil filter wrench. It will be super hard to get off later.

·
Registered
95 Posts
I just changed my 07 oil filter for the first time, it was super tight. I couldnt get it off with my filter wrench, had to stick a screw driver through it and even then it was a pain to get off.
Kawasaki must use a big fella on the assembly line.

·
Registered
460 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Kawasaki must use a big fella on the assembly line.
No doubt haha

had to stick a screw driver through it and even then it was a pain to get off..
Thats an awsome idea, I dont have any big wrenches I could use, did you just like hammer it through the side of it o something??

·
Registered
2,128 Posts
Be careful with a screw driver and hammer... A guy bunched through his filter and into his water pump... that was a 300 dollar mistake that took many flushes to get the oil out of the water system. Also be careful to not hit the threads that the filter screws on to. That would be a big problem. So try to knock through the outer end of the filter. Going in one side will sometimes work. If you have long enough screw driver to get some leverage, punch it all the way through. Of course oil will come spilling out so put some towels underneath your bike or something. I also suggest draining the oil pan first. If I were you, I'd just go buy a filter wrench. Its a good tool to have that only costs about $7 US. They come in different sizes so be sure to take your new filter with you to see what fits.

·
Registered
460 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Be careful with a screw driver and hammer... A guy bunched through his filter and into his water pump... that was a 300 dollar mistake that took many flushes to get the oil out of the water system. Also be careful to not hit the threads that the filter screws on to. That would be a big problem. So try to knock through the outer end of the filter. Going in one side will sometimes work. If you have long enough screw driver to get some leverage, punch it all the way through. Of course oil will come spilling out so put some towels underneath your bike or something. I also suggest draining the oil pan first. If I were you, I'd just go buy a filter wrench. Its a good tool to have that only costs about $7 US. They come in different sizes so be sure to take your new filter with you to see what fits.
Good advice and good price. Thanks!

·
Registered
2,128 Posts
on ebay a filter socket once upon a time. i used an adjustable rubber belt type wrench on mine worked good.
Good point. I forgot to mention I am talking about the kind with the belt that squeezes down. You can buy a socket that goes on a ratchet that will fit on a kawi filter but they are likely outrageous for what they are because it come from the factory. Either would work fine though.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts