Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
765 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I changed the oil and filter in my '05 and put in 3 quarts. When I stand the bike up, the oil level is all the way to the top of the sight glass. What gives? I thought this thing took 3 quarts. That seems to have put me a tad on the high side...

·
Registered
34,537 Posts
Did you start it and let it run for about 3 min?? if not do that and then let it settle before checking the level again.
BTW it takes 3.2qts W/filter and 2.9qts without a filter.

BD

·
Registered
1,508 Posts
per the manual 2.7 litres (2.9 us quarts) no filter change
3.0 litres (3.2 us quarts) with filter. US quart is less than a litre, imperial quart is more. 1 imperial quart = 1.2 litres. Quantities were right for my 04. When you drained the oil did you get the motor hot prior as this makes a difference. With the oil cold you don't get as much out? Did you use imperial quarts? Cheers

·
Registered
1,508 Posts
lol already answered just as i hit the post button

·
Registered
1,508 Posts
I just woke up. lol Party last night

·
Registered
765 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I did run the engine before I drained it, but probably not as much as I should have. It has been ridden since the change, so I know the oil has been circulated well. I just double checked the oil, and it's about halfway between the high mark and the top of the glass. Is that enough to matter?

·
Registered
1,508 Posts
Nope that was how mine came back from the dealer after a service

Better a little bit more than less, so long as its not too much

·
Registered
1,830 Posts
I always start my bike and let it run for a few moments, then drain it for a good 10 minutes while i get all my tools and rags, and other crap ready. I then bump the starter a time or two. Just enough to roll the motor over and cause the oil pump to circulate. This causes a good gulp or two of the old oil to drain.

Then just pour 2.5 quarts in and start the bike for a brief second to fill your new filter. Shut the bike off, wait a bit and pour oil in to the proper level. Run the bike again and double check the level, while the bike is level.

Go ride :)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts