Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,944 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering if I should change the filter every time I change the oil or should I change it every other? I am running a K&N filter, because of the wire tie tab for the track, and Amsoil. It's been 1500 miles since the last change, and I was thinking I would change the oil again before going to the track next month.

What choo peeps think?

·
Registered
5,228 Posts
Change the filter when you change the oil.

·
Registered
1,945 Posts
I wouldn't change the filter with every change especially since your only running 1500 miles between changes..every other time would still only put you at 3000 miles on the filter. As long as your not burning up clutches left and right and leaving a bunch of material floating arond in your oil your not going to do anything but throw money away by changing the filter at 1500 miles. (and the oil for that matter)

·
Registered
4,118 Posts
its a simple $5 insurance that its done for a pureone, well $12 for the K&N, but if it was me, i'd do it.

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
RickRoush03 said:
its a simple $5 insurance that its done for a pureone, well $12 for the K&N, but if it was me, i'd do it.
+1 change the filter with an oil change.better to be safe than sorry.

·
Yankee Racer
14,838 Posts
i use my bike for track mainly and always change the filter when changing the oil. I usually change it every other trackday and sometimes everyone if i do a little street riding on the side.

·
Registered
1,945 Posts
well looks like the majority say to change it. so there you go.

·
Registered
775 Posts
It is not necessary to change the oil filter every 1500 miles. I change my oil every 1500 miles and change the filter every other oil change (every 3000 miles). I have been doing this for years without any problems. I also use K&N oil filters.

·
Yankee Racer
14,838 Posts
magzx12r said:
It is not necessary to change the oil filter every 1500 miles. I change my oil every 1500 miles and change the filter every other oil change (every 3000 miles). I have been doing this for years without any problems. I also use K&N oil filters.
whatever works for you because it is your bike. I will change my filter every time just to be safe. Worth the extra money to make sure everything is clean.

·
Registered
1,944 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Mav....It's not that I didn't know if I should or not, just wanted other opinions on what other people do....

Thanks for the responses. I will spend the extra $12.00 for the filter.

·
Registered
4,118 Posts
personally, trackdays = beating the shit out of your engine, which for me = constantly 8k on the tach up to redline, gear shifting, etc. nice to know that a clean filter is working on that new oil, and not a used filter on new oil.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts