Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi guys i put a homemade quickshifter on my gen 1 but wondering if anybody has issues with having to adjust your chain alot more frequently when using a quickshifter?
im not sure if a genuine qs will do this to but through gears it tends to be jerky when i shift. think its strain on the chain. anybody had this issue?
thanks

·
Registered
836 Posts
You surely shift in the high rpm, so you strength up the chain, it should stop, soon. Happen when the chain are new but it stop after 1000 miles, if not there's a problem.

·
Slow Poke
5,584 Posts
hi guys i put a homemade quickshifter on my gen 1 but wondering if anybody has issues with having to adjust your chain alot more frequently when using a quickshifter?
im not sure if a genuine qs will do this to but through gears it tends to be jerky when i shift. think its strain on the chain. anybody had this issue?
thanks
Depending on kill time and how your using your quick shifter. Really quick shifters are made to be used in racing applications. So if your just cruising and use your quick shifter it will be a little rough when compared to full throttle use. As for a chain mine has never really caused anymore stretch than normal

Sent from my Motorcycle iPhone app

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i dont tend to use it for high rpm. after riding for few hours of using clutch ive got a pain in me arm were i just cant use the clutch as much as the day goes so was hoping the qs would come into place an help me out. ive set it to work at 3k rpm but ive noticed after a ride out my chain needs adjusting. my kill time is set at 80 kps

·
Slow Poke
5,584 Posts
i dont tend to use it for high rpm. after riding for few hours of using clutch ive got a pain in me arm were i just cant use the clutch as much as the day goes so was hoping the qs would come into place an help me out. ive set it to work at 3k rpm but ive noticed after a ride out my chain needs adjusting. my kill time is set at 80 kps
80 is a little slow and will jerk more with less throttle. Try setting it at 60-65 and see if it's better. I have mine set at 55 right now. You really don't wanna use it between 1st and 2nd because it won't take long to wear the dogs off your gear and that makes it a pain in the ass. Just use it from 2nd and up and it'll be good.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
i just dont know whether to remove this as i seem to have to put pressure on the gearbox before the qs comes into action. sometimes its been stuck between the gears. how have you made your qs?

·
Slow Poke
5,584 Posts
i just dont know whether to remove this as i seem to have to put pressure on the gearbox before the qs comes into action. sometimes its been stuck between the gears. how have you made your qs?
I have mine setup on a button that I push with my thumb. I do still preload my shifter with my foot but don't put I much pressure on it. You will still have to put pressure on your shifter to shift. When you put pressure on your shifter it's still on a take a split second before it kills your spark/fuel before it shifts. If tht makes any sense

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I was just unsure if everybody has to put pressure on the gearbox before the qs comes to work. I will go about changin kill time an see how it works next. Would a longer kill time reduce the chance of being stuck in between gears? Seem to get caught in between now an then

·
Registered
790 Posts
I have mine setup on a button that I push with my thumb. I do still preload my shifter with my foot but don't put I much pressure on it. You will still have to put pressure on your shifter to shift. When you put pressure on your shifter it's still on a take a split second before it kills your spark/fuel before it shifts. If tht makes any sense

Seems like it would be easier to clutchless shift by slightly letting off the throttle.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Quickshifters don't work very well at low rpm because the gearbox doesn't work as quick when it is spinning slowly. You need bigger kill times at low rpm ans the 1. 2 change is the hardest to get right because the gap in the ratios is so big. If you back off the throttle a bit as you shift it will help. I would be very carefully because if it is harsh enough to stretch your chain it could do big damage to your gearbox.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
thanks for the replies guys i never use it between 1 and 2 as it is a long way with neutral in between. i may try to use it higher in the gearbox and just ditch the low rpm qs. just want to set it up correctly so doesnt get stuck between gears

1 - 12 of 12 Posts