Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So purchased my first zx10r and on inspectong the chain I have noticed massive thight spot in chain...aligement is dead on chain looks lubbed bit of rust but dead on, sprockets are grand too, looks like been abused meybe... see video, is it possible fix this or new chain job.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
18 zx10r
371 Posts
So purchased my first zx10r and on inspecting the chain I have noticed massive thight spot in chain...alignment is dead on chain looks lubed bit of rust but dead on, sprockets are grand too, looks like been abused maybe... see video, is it possible fix this or new chain job.

A MASSIVE tight spot? Replace it.

·
REPOST Enforcement Mod
14,390 Posts
Well, you can fix it if you can get your hands on a chain stretcher. The hydraulic ones are the best for that, but pneumatic is an option if your air compressor can handle that pressure. Your choice, but don't get a cable operated one as those are junk.

:p No, in all seriousness that can't be fixed and it should be replaced. Just make sure that the sprocket isn't causing that if it's screwed up. Mark the chain with chaulk to be sure it's the same spot on the chain that's tight and not the same spot on the sprocket. The uneven stretching like that is typical of abuse and poor quality chains. Either way, if this bike is new to you then your best path forward is to get a new quality chain and matching sprockets. Since the chains and sprockets wear together and that chain has a tight spot that significant, they should all be new and start fresh before you tear up you bearings or the chain breaks and puts a hole in your engine or takes your leg off.

Reactions: 07_ZX10R

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well, you can fix it if you can get your hands on a chain stretcher. The hydraulic ones are the best for that, but pneumatic is an option if your air compressor can handle that pressure. Your choice, but don't get a cable operated one as those are junk.

No, in all seriousness that can't be fixed and it should be replaced. Just make sure that the sprocket isn't causing that if it's screwed up. Mark the chain with chaulk to be sure it's the same spot on the chain that's tight and not the same spot on the sprocket. The uneven stretching like that is typical of abuse and poor quality chains. Either way, if this bike is new to you then your best path forward is to get a new quality chain and matching sprockets. Since the chains and sprockets wear together and that chain has a tight spot that significant, they should all be new and start fresh before you tear up you bearings or the chain breaks and puts a hole in your engine or takes your leg off.
Good idea chalking the chain ill check that but will buy complete kit new chain and sprockets

·
REPOST Enforcement Mod
14,390 Posts
Good idea chalking the chain ill check that but will buy complete kit new chain and sprockets

That's the proper thing to do!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts