Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Bike has 8500 miles gen4... Half it's life has been -2 front sprocket since previous owner. I noticed cleaning my chain today a hand full or so of rollers are not as wide as others. I took a pic of the worse one. Front and rear sprocket are in decent shape. Keep on riding until rear sprocket is shot and replace all?

Also I believe he swapped front sprocket and kept chain stock length. I'm almost out of adjustment. Should I take a link out? Is it normal to be that far back with a -2?

Thanks!

Sent from my XT1565 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
641 Posts
I'd say no, no and no to all your questions.

Chain looks f'd up, looks like they're wider because it's missing seals.

Who knows what the PO did to that thing looks in bad shape for only 8500 miles?

I personally would replace all. Sprockets and chain.

You can probably still use for a while, but I'd replace all.

Could this some kind of mix mess up conversion with like 525 sprockets with 520 chain or something?

Just have not seen seals disintegrated like that at 8,500 miles.

Width between inner plates--
520: 1/4"
525: 5/16"

That might cause something like that? Spreading the links a little and destroying the seals?

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'd say no, no and no to all your questions.

Chain looks f'd up, looks like they're wider because it's missing seals.

Who knows what the PO did to that thing looks in bad shape for only 8500 miles?

I personally would replace all. Sprockets and chain.

You can probably still use for a while, but I'd replace all.

Could this some kind of mix mess up conversion with like 525 sprockets with 520 chain or something?

Just have not seen seals disintegrated like that at 8,500 miles.

Width between inner plates--
520: 1/4"
525: 5/16"

That might cause something like that? Spreading the links a little and destroying the seals?
I will check and take more pics

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Here is pic of rear sprocket and better looking part of chain. It is 5/16 inside.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Is this a holy shit park it? Or don't bother taking link out finish the season out (South Carolina) and replace everything sprockets and chains?

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'm ordering ek 525 chain with -1f +2r so essentially -1 rear from where I'm at. I'll ride to work today and tommarow and park it.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Sadly, you cant judge a chain by the 109 links that are good. ..or whatever its length is....

When you see that one link with missing seals, thats it. Its dead. Remember that saying about a chain being only as good as its weakest link?

When chains break, in motion, they tend to bunch up and rip sections from the motors case, lock back wheels, and other nasty stuff.

·
Registered
707 Posts
Holy crap! Never seen O-rings just altogether missing like that! What kind of "lubricant" did the previous owner use to just disintegrated the rubber?

I'd oil/wax the shit out of it and baby it to the shop.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
It looked like he didn't wax or clean it when I bought it...I parked it.

Sent from my SM-T377V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,072 Posts
Ive found one of the biggest things for me personally about riding is Peace Of Mind. Its priceless and at times possibly saved my ass just being OCD about things and deciding not to ride if things are less than perfect (even though yes i bought those fucked up EBC HH pads and ride with them). Good call. Im doing chain/sprox soon myself, enjoy buying yer new chain/sprox! Ever seen that pic of the guy who had all the skin sheered off his feet? Its a good one! You dont wanna be him and we dont wanna read about ya getting your lower leg cut off, etc... Down time is good time to be constructive about other things regarding riding.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Ive found one of the biggest things for me personally about riding is Peace Of Mind. Its priceless and at times possibly saved my ass just being OCD about things and deciding not to ride if things are less than perfect (even though yes i bought those fucked up EBC HH pads and ride with them). Good call. Im doing chain/sprox soon myself, enjoy buying yer new chain/sprox! Ever seen that pic of the guy who had all the skin sheered off his feet? Its a good one! You dont wanna be him and we dont wanna read about ya getting your lower leg cut off, etc... Down time is good time to be constructive about other things regarding riding.
Send me that link OF THAT GORE! Sprocket center time

·
Registered
2,072 Posts
lol i havent seen it in a couple years but its on one of these forums, cant remember how i came across it..too much late night Youtube im sure too. I used to frequent Psychobike a lot as i like drag racing. Dunno if i t was even a chain accident or what but ive seen enough nasy pics to try to make sure i maintain my shit best i can lol. It was just one foot anyway if i remember, he's got another one.

Reactions: Kawasexy

·
Registered
2,072 Posts
Quick search but this is it lol that was easy. Cant remember how i came across it. Doesnt look fun though.

Buy a new chain and sprockests!! lol ARRRRGHHH!!!!

Hmmmm pic showed up when i posted it...now no pic.

Re-try

Reactions: evilaugust

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Quick search but this is it lol that was easy. Cant remember how i came across it. Doesnt look fun though.

Buy a new chain and sprockests!! lol ARRRRGHHH!!!!

I'll hunt the story down... curious on what his footwear choice was

·
The Pace
7,048 Posts
I scanned a few comments. Oem chain is good for about 16k hard miles. Going thru two front sprockets is science fiction. Nothing makes sense. I would go 16 in future but only because of the Met rr on the rear. I use this 525 chain that is one click better than the oem chain WHICH IS BETTER than the other chains several on this site have faith in, which I can't recall as I write this but indeed tried; here:

but the rk chain cutter here as motomummy has good prices on replacement pins whatever, amazon now carries this but parts may be priced higher than mummy; yet check as idk now as market changes:

https://www.motomummy.com/shop-tools/rk-chain-breaker/rivet-kit/

1 - 17 of 17 Posts