Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,259 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What brand of tool do you guys use to rivet a master link. I have a MotionPro and it's a peice of junk!! A $100 dollar POS!!!!!!!!!! I need a good one and quick.. What works for the most of you guys??

·
Bloo Moderator
23,742 Posts
Gunner said:
What brand of tool do you guys use to rivet a master link. I have a MotionPro and it's a peice of junk!! A $100 dollar POS!!!!!!!!!! I need a good one and quick.. What works for the most of you guys??
Motion Pro makes a couple of versions...yes..junk to remove a link but I don't see a problem to press...for removal..a cheap grinder wheel on a drill and punch when it's hot...press part...have no problems with the MP.:dontknow:

·
Registered
2,299 Posts
I don't know if my Motion Pro is the same as yours or not. I think mine was more like $120, if I remember correctly. I have used it multiple times and I am very happy with it. I also have a friend who has used it a couple of times on his bikes and he thinks it is great.

·
Bloo Moderator
23,742 Posts
zeta xray said:
I don't know if my Motion Pro is the same as yours or not. I think mine was more like $120, if I remember correctly. I have used it multiple times and I am very happy with it. I also have a friend who has used it a couple of times on his bikes and he thinks it is great.
not sure...but the pins to remove seem to be suspect on the motion pro...I don't mind using the grinder on a cordless drill and punch them out so the MP puches don't break as I have read many times they do and feel like they will when testing on the bench with some test pieces....they just don't seem strong enough for a 520 chain and above.:badteeth:

but not complaining...just need a press for the chain/master link...and it works...:thumbsup:

·
Green Hippie
17,566 Posts
bluedevil said:
not sure...but the pins to remove seem to be suspect on the motion pro...I don't mind using the grinder on a cordless drill and punch them out so the MP puches don't break as I have read many times they do and feel like they will when testing on the bench with some test pieces....they just don't seem strong enough for a 520 chain and above.:badteeth:

but not complaining...just need a press for the chain/master link...and it works...:thumbsup:
I :dontknow: got extra pins for mine 'cause I bent the first one seems okay now tho

·
Green Hippie
17,566 Posts
I use the same MP to install the master link I just drop a ground down bolt in the guide hole and instant press

·
Bloo Moderator
23,742 Posts
maybe we all are on a different page....the MP will press for me a master link 520 and above....taking a link out(breaking)...well....that's another thing....I believe it will break the MP punches most of the times as the chain links are stronger.:badteeth: ...still...think about it...what counts more... a link to be broken or a link that is pressed in good to save your arse?...just my .02...but make sure it is pressed good...lol...:beer:

·
Green Hippie
17,566 Posts
bluedevil said:
maybe we all are on a different page....the MP will press for me a master link 520 and above....taking a link out(breaking)...well....that's another thing....I believe it will break the MP punches most of the times as the chain links are stronger.:badteeth: ...still...think about it...what counts more... a link to be broken or a link that is pressed in good to save your arse?...just my .02...but make sure it is pressed good...lol...:beer:
Hmmmm for sure a pressing issue:lol:

·
Bloo Moderator
23,742 Posts
treyzx10r said:
Hmmmm for sure a pressing issue:lol:
lol fugger...:eek:ccasion1

·
Registered
2,060 Posts
I'm sure someone will get their panties in a bunch over this statement, but I have yet to find a tool from Motion Pro that I would consider a quality piece. I've had many of them over the years, but not one that I haven't eventually ended up replacing with something better.

They make cheap tools, IMO -- in both senses of the word. Inexpensive and shall we say, lesser quality. Good enough to get by, if you won't be using it a lot. Guess I'm a tool snob. :dontknow:

For the chain tool, I finally threw down and bought one of the OEM versions through :gasp: Honda years ago, and it is a quality piece that I've now used for years. Couldn't tell the mfr, as it came in a plain-wrap box.

·
Registered
34,537 Posts
I may have missed it but MP does make a range of chain tools so it does depend on which tool your speaking of. Yes the less expensive ones are rather cheaply made and stand the possibility of breaking but the higher priced units are rather stout in comparison. The jumbo MP is one i've used for many years / many chains for both removal and install without a hitch.

BD

Attachments

·
Banned
1,196 Posts
I have the D.I.D. KM500, which is exactly the same as that Kowa above. It is built tough. I am curious where you got Kowa and how much it costs.

·
Registered
1,259 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Well, As it turns out I must have the lesser Motion Pro unit..........Grrrrrrrrr!!!
It did the first chain well, but I was putting a new 520 unit on my Girlfriend's 636 and it kept crushing the chain tooo tight when I was trying to rivet the pin. As it turns out the cup that they suppy to hold back up on the pin is made in 2 pieces!!! So when you start flaring the other side of the pin the cup starts to press the center out and you end up OVER pressing the link!!! Grrrrrrrr! It took me a while to figure out that the tool was a total POS. Who in their right mind would make a press anvil in 2 pieces. The one pictured in B.D's picture don't appear to be made in the same cheap way.

I guess Motion Pro just gave me a 100 buck bath. Live and learn is what my momma always said....hehehe Thanks for the replies

·
Registered
775 Posts
I have done several chains with the Motion Pro without problems. You do have to grind off the head before removing the pin when breaking a chain. No issues with pushing in pins or riveting pins.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts