Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
I really need to get out of the house
13,309 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wondering if my chain need to be replaced. My bike has 43,000kms on her and I have noticed that I have to watch my chain after every ride lately to make sure she is tight. I still have 3 lines til she is tighten to the max, but notice I have to tight her after doin longer rides.

Wonder if she is safe to ride as long as I can tighten the chain and she is not tighten to the max is the chain ok?

And also when I replace the chain should I replace the sprockets or are they ok? I did get a good look at the rear one and to me I dont see any damage to it:dontknow:

thanks for the help again...startin to think its time to buy a new bike:confused:

·
Custom Powder Coater
6,556 Posts
Thats when i replace mine red, when i have to keep adjusting it..usially means shes worn out.. Always replace sprockets and chain together, or u will prematurly wear out the new chain..
Thats me otherrs may do things different..

·
All show and all go 10r
5,921 Posts
Chains if I remember are to be replaced when they have stretched past a certain point. Stretch if I remember is something like how many links in a certain distance not when your out of adjustment. Links stretched to far wouldn't fit the profile of the sprocket properly.

Chain and sprocket should be replaced at the same time.

·
REPOST Enforcement Mod
13,558 Posts
^^^^ What JLG pretty much said.

The chain should be replaced when it reaches a certain stretch point in the chain itself. It has nothing to do with the marks on your swingarm. You have to measure the distance over 20 chain links and see what the distance is. If it exceeds these limits, it needs to be replaced. The links will be too far apart from each other to fit the teeth on the sprockets.

Oh, and you should replace your sprockets (both of them) at the same time you replace your chain.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,413 Posts
Thats when i replace mine red, when i have to keep adjusting it..usially means shes worn out.. Always replace sprockets and chain together, or u will prematurly wear out the new chain..
Thats me otherrs may do things different..
:+2: Sounds like its time for some new bling :cool:

·
13,309 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
thanks for the help...you guys rock!...always know I will get my questions answered on here.:thumbsup:

I guess its time to do some shoppin online for a chain and some sprokets.

·
MIA Post Whore
8,727 Posts
I quick test for worn chain is to pull on the chain at the 3 oclock postion on the rear sprocket. If you can pull it away from the sprocket at all it's done. A small bit of wiggle when pulled is normal.

·
13,309 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
D.I.D 525 chain and 525 sprockets ordered, will be installed as soon as they come in.

thanks for the help:thumbsup:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts