Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright first off i have the 05 10r and i have the clicking issue coming from the front sprocket???? Y??? I done the whole putting it in 5th and rolling it back and popping the clutch thing and it didnt work......

My chain is keeps coming lose and i tighten it back up and i ride for ir for maybe a block and its lse again but the notches on the swingarm hasnt moved.

Do the notches have to be set on a notch and if so which 1 should it be set at...... Any help would be appreciated.

:mrgreen: :badteeth:

·
Registered
464 Posts
How many Miles on the chain? My friends CBR 1000 was doing that and he had to replace the chain.

·
Registered
3,204 Posts
There's probably a kink in your chain, it did a clicking sound on my black 10, it happened to be the chain

·
Registered
1,788 Posts
do you now how to check for proper slack in the chain?

http://www.canyonchasers.net/shop/generic/chain.php check out the link

The notches in the swingarm are just a point of reference for you so you can tell it the axle has slid and how much the chain has stretched. One way to tell if your chain is done. is see if there is slack on the rear of sprocket. If it is loose even when rapping around then it is time for a new chain and sprockets.

Reactions: RDLYN13000

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hey thanks that was a great link about chain replacement i believe thats my next step......

But still could the notches on the swing have to match the notches on the adjustment block itself???

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ok so what do you think about going with the 520 link chain or should i stick to the 525???

·
Registered
1,788 Posts
The 520 is cheaper. A sponsor has a deal going err... did. good xring chain, and steel sprockets for 170. The rule of thumb is that the 520 will stretch a little faster than a 525 or 530 but is lighter so it is takes less power to turn. There are people that get 20K out of a 520 chain. It is all about maintains. No the pointer does not have to line up the hash makers on the on the swingarm. They are just a reference at to how much you moved the rear wheel and how much adjustment you have left. Adjust the chain so the tension is with spec tighten the wheel back down.

these are the marks you are talking about. correct?the marks on swingarm below the adjuster.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Sam _b03 you are the man, i thought marks had to match but i will be switching to the 520 since i dont have to order 1, i can go to my local bike shop and they have plenty of them in stock.

·
Registered
268 Posts
If you switch to a 520 chain you have change the spockets too. 520 & 525 sprockets are different.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well fellow 10r riders, i figured out my noise from the front sprocket...........The freakin front sprocket was loose and was causing the chain and sprocket to wobble which in turn caused the clicking noise everytime i took off.

So i pulled the front cover off and come to find out the bolt that screws into the sprocket i could unscrew it off by hand with little power and the sprocket wasnt pushed all the way in towards the engine, so after i pushed it in and put the spacer back on and pushed all the way towards the sprocket i had to go to the parts store and get a socket big enough to fit the bolt and torqued it down and........................................

No more clicking or noise, so thanks to all that contributed

P.S. for all those with the 04/05 10r or any year for that, if your having this problem double check your front sprocket and bolt and make sure they torqued to standard

·
Registered
1,788 Posts
it should be a 27mm.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts