Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5,042 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If I take a link out of the stock chain with a 16t will it still fit or will it be too tight?

·
Bloo Moderator
23,742 Posts
Why would you want to take a link out?

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
i'm going from110 to 112 links to lengthen the chassis by about 19mm(i have the 16 tooth as well) per BD. just like the factory racers.

anyhow, doesnt look like loosing a link(2) would work, but thats just an eyeball check..

why? is this more money saving?? by the time the chain slacks enough to need to loose a link(2) the links are already doing damage to the sprockets. if you need a chain let me know, i/m changing mine out, you can have my stocker(1950 miles) its still good for sure ...

let me know...

·
Registered
1,190 Posts
Hmm, I've been thinking about this too. I'm going to go 17/41 and want to add about the same increase in wheelbase. I'll prolly need to use 114 links w/ the bigger rear sproket. Can anyone chime in on exactly how the wheelbase increase affects handling? I'd image it improves stability at full lean , as well as keeping the front down longer on straight line WOT runs. But how does it affect turn-in? I'm guessing that it makes you turn *slightly* wider? This could be remedied by raising the fork tubes in the triple clamp slightly?

·
Registered
34,537 Posts
Suicide

When your in the process of installing the new chain & sprockets you'll know what length works and what don't simply by experimentation. No doubt 112L will work with 17/41 and probably end up splitting the diff between stock and where mine ended up (+19mm W16/39) but my gut feeling about 114L is quite possibly too loooooooong, but then maybe not.
The increased wheelbase is a positive in some regards, more all around stability, less wheelie prone, the suspension works better. Since the 10 has the shortest wheelbase of current sportbikes i doubt the increase from 54.9" to say 55.6" will slow the turn-in enough to show its negative aspects to where the vast majority feel it in their respective butt detector. It can be compensated for with a geometry change of ones choice.

BD

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
the word i get from the racers is better stability at speed, low speed compromises were not a topic of the conversation

·
Hillbillie Mod
20,155 Posts
Also some tires (Dunlop) have a steeper profile to help compensate with the turn in rate...

·
Registered
5,042 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
:postcop: HEY FUGGERS GET YOUR OWN THREAD:eek:t: At least let me get a clear answer:rant: Yes I was going to replace my chain with one killer sent me but they cut out one of the links instead of using the master when they removed his. Latdrop hook me up when you pull yours off. If you have one your going to take off that would be better. I dont want to go over my buddies and take my old one off only to find I wasted my time. thanks guys.

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
frank

i'm ordering the new chain.

the guys will break it at the master link and then you get a new master...

1999 miles on it as of now, will replace immediately upon receipt of the new chain...

still kickin the 520 conversion(probably not) i'll search threads later today and make that decision tonight...

let me know where you want it sent in the next couple days. i think i can have one bought and installed in the next week or so...

·
Registered
5,228 Posts
I also have a stock chain if you're interested. I'm going with a 16f/ 41r and the stock chain is too short. Kinda pissed me off. Oh well. I'm in reno.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts