Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
6,028 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I put my factory chain guard on with my extensions in place and all, and the tire wore through part of it from the the edge of the tire. anyone else have a problem like this or a solution?

·
BigCat for Prez!
7,229 Posts
I took my cain guard off a long time ago, but with the length of chain i have now i might order another.

·
Registered
6,028 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yeah, Im running it with out. I also happen to just bolt a plate with my school parking permit there and the bolts arent long enough for both, but I was trying to figure out some way to run the guard without the tire eating it.

·
BigCat for Prez!
7,229 Posts
I don't see how the tire was eatin the guard though unless something was bent

·
Registered
6,028 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I really dont know either. Thats why I was curious if maybe I had a problem that I was unaware of. Or maybe Im missing a spacer or something. I was thinking that might actually be the problem. When I tighten down the rear axle nut, it goes past the holes for the cotter to the point where the cotter pin isnt between the spaces of the castle nut, its just in front of the nut.

·
BigCat for Prez!
7,229 Posts
U gotta put a grinder on the spaces in the nut to make them deeper then use a hammer to beat the wrench down to keep ur in the nut so u can slip the pin thru it

Reactions: -Op-

·
Registered
6,028 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
no, my problem is reverse of what youre thinking. the nut keeps going past the holes for the pin. like, the castle part of the nut goes past it. the cotter pin goes in and all with the nut on tight. Its like the nut keeps pulling the extensions closer like its pinching the back end

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
mine did the same. just notch it out, used a bench grinder and dressed it off with a little sandpaper. allow room for chain adj.

·
Supercharged Mod
4,392 Posts
Tech here requires a chain guard. If you run extensions and the stock chain guard you will have to trim a little corner away (or the tire will do it for you). Tech here wanted a chain guard that went 1" past the axle (nice of them to not provide ANY information on what the rules are in advance) so I just made a new one out of some scrap sheet metal over the winter ... the shape is not very complicated, so it's pretty easy to make one.

Reactions: -Op-

·
Registered
3,837 Posts
mine did the same. just notch it out, used a bench grinder and dressed it off with a little sandpaper. allow room for chain adj.
:+1: i just mark where the tire was hittin the chain guard and took some dikes and cut a lil piece out so the tire would clear the chain guard and wouldnt rub. now when people notice it they think i bought it that way, guess i did a good job on the cut :wink:

·
Registered
6,028 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
thanks guys. here I thought I was going freakin crazy about it, like I was missing a spacer or something like that. Ill be sure to watch out for that. Prolly gonna have to make 2 notches in the stocker for when I change between sprockets. Or just make my own, I like that idea so Ill probably give it a try.

Thanks everybody. Rep sent all around.

·
Gen2 Ripper
4,867 Posts
So, I put my factory chain guard on with my extensions in place and all, and the tire wore through part of it from the the edge of the tire. anyone else have a problem like this or a solution?
Same thing here but I caught it early on. I put a couple washers behind the chain guard the put the bolts on to shim it out about a .25". No more rubbing.

·
Bloo Moderator
23,742 Posts
Tech here requires a chain guard. If you run extensions and the stock chain guard you will have to trim a little corner away (or the tire will do it for you). Tech here wanted a chain guard that went 1" past the axle (nice of them to not provide ANY information on what the rules are in advance) so I just made a new one out of some scrap sheet metal over the winter ... the shape is not very complicated, so it's pretty easy to make one.
Same here on my last Drag day, I didn't tech in but when waiting to do a run a staging hand noticed my chain guard did not cover the axle I was running stock. Do you have a How To like what tools to bend the sheet metal to make your own or does anyone know where to pick one up for a stock 1st Gen Swing arm my extensions are 4-6in :dontknow:

To add to this thread I just found out today about the rubbing I heard a sound after putting my Street Tire/Rim pushing it off the lift and after investigation found it rubbing the stock chain guard. I ended up triming the plastic with a good box cutter will clean it up later.

bloo

·
Gen2 Ripper
4,867 Posts
Same here on my last Drag day, I didn't tech in but when waiting to do a run a staging hand noticed my chain guard did not cover the axle I was running stock. Do you have a How To like what tools to bend the sheet metal to make your own or does anyone know where to pick one up for a stock 1st Gen Swing arm my extensions are 4-6in :dontknow:

To add to this thread I just found out today about the rubbing I heard a sound after putting my Street Tire/Rim pushing it off the lift and after investigation found it rubbing the stock chain guard. I ended up triming the plastic with a good box cutter will clean it up later.

bloo
Here you go bloo. Aint cheap.
http://www.schnitzracingstore.com/catalogs/catalog.asp?prodid=4884758&showprevnext=1

·
Bloo Moderator
23,742 Posts

·
Gen2 Ripper
4,867 Posts
Could likely slot the holes and move it in a bit. And/or trim a little off and just respray it or have blackpearl re powder it for you in bloo.

·
Bloo Moderator
23,742 Posts
Could likely slot the holes and move it in a bit. And/or trim a little off and just respray it or have blackpearl re powder it for you in bloo.
all great Ideas :thumbsup::eek:ccasion1

bloo

·
Gen2 Ripper
4,867 Posts
:eek:ccasion1

·
Bloo Moderator
23,742 Posts
1 - 20 of 29 Posts