1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Late Apex
803 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
452 Posts
I actually bought this chain a few weeks ago. Installed it on my '99 ZX9. Have put about 500 miles on the bike so far. Chain looks just like RK gold chains I have purchased previously except that it has 525 on the links instead of rk. Haven't done any hard riding yet as i stll need to replace slipping clutch. But so far so good. Have made one small adjutment, but thats normal with a new chain. Also it comes with clip link instead of press fit link.

·
Late Apex
803 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I actually bought this chain a few weeks ago. Installed it on my '99 ZX9. Have put about 500 miles on the bike so far. Chain looks just like RK gold chains I have purchased previously except that it has 525 on the links instead of rk. Haven't done any hard riding yet as i stll need to replace slipping clutch. But so far so good. Have made one small adjutment, but thats normal with a new chain. Also it comes with clip link instead of press fit link.
So basicallly I by this chain and by a master-link somewhere( I dont like the clips .. I prefer the rivet style..Its too easy to put it on LOL) and i have a Decent functioning spare .. NICE .. Good deal man .. Thanks:hello:

·
Registered
452 Posts
Yeah thats what I did, don't like clip on links. So i installed press fit master link, usualy can pick them up at any motocycle shop, or dealer for around 6-8 bucks. I usually keep 2 or 3 spares ...LOL....

·
Registered
629 Posts
For me a quality chain is of paramount importance even for sundry street riding.

It's a critical part of the system and I like to have that part of the bike overengineered so I don't have to think about it at all.

If this chain has a tensile strength of 8200 and that figure is accurate, It has the same tensile strength in 525, as a DID chain has with a 520... That kind of makes me wonder.

The DID 525 chain has a tensile strentgh of 10,500 and that may or may not mean anything at all in the scheme of things and where the bike is ridden, But I put a DID 525 chain on my 08 zx-10 and it hasn't stretched at all in 4000 miles. The chain slack distance is identical to what I set it to the day I put the chain on.

And it seemed from the one poster that his stretched after 500 miles. That may be typical for new 520 chains fitted to strong 600's and 1000's looking to shave rotating mass, but stretching a 525 in 500 miles would make me suspicious if it really was teh chain stretching and not the rear sprocket teeth wearing.

·
Dont mess wit White Ninja
5,932 Posts
I can get you steel front & rear with a ek chain in your pitch "520" for $135 bucks threw a friend! 525 setups are $160! Yes this is for both sprockets and chain! pm me if interested and I'll set you up with my buddy!

·
Late Apex
803 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
For me a quality chain is of paramount importance even for sundry street riding.

It's a critical part of the system and I like to have that part of the bike overengineered so I don't have to think about it at all.

If this chain has a tensile strength of 8200 and that figure is accurate, It has the same tensile strength in 525, as a DID chain has with a 520... That kind of makes me wonder.

The DID 525 chain has a tensile strentgh of 10,500 and that may or may not mean anything at all in the scheme of things and where the bike is ridden, But I put a DID 525 chain on my 08 zx-10 and it hasn't stretched at all in 4000 miles. The chain slack distance is identical to what I set it to the day I put the chain on.

And it seemed from the one poster that his stretched after 500 miles. That may be typical for new 520 chains fitted to strong 600's and 1000's looking to shave rotating mass, but stretching a 525 in 500 miles would make me suspicious if it really was teh chain stretching and not the rear sprocket teeth wearing.
Yeah I totally agree . Upon further research I opted out .. Im looking into possibly doing a 520 conversion RK kit

·
Late Apex
803 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
I can get you steel front & rear with a ek chain in your pitch "520" for $135 bucks threw a friend! 525 setups are $160! Yes this is for both sprockets and chain! pm me if interested and I'll set you up with my buddy!
How long is that good for and what do the steel rears look like . I was looking into this deal http://www.sprocketcenter.com/p/1106870/new-superlite-525-black-steel-rear-sprocket---kawasaki.html
for the rear ... buy a chain and off i go .. I run 16/40 Gearing which is -1 only .. I had -1/+2 but front end was just too light at the wrong times for my liking
:hello:

·
Registered
249 Posts
yea i'm glad you opted out cuz the stock 525 is rated at 8400lbs i believe, not to say it wouldn't have gotten you by in a pinch, but personally i'd be worried about any off brand chain rated less than stock...i got a 520 kit from mary(lexusrx) at superbike supply for $145. came with superlite steel rear and steel front, available in many gear configurations, and had the EK MVX chain, rated at 9000lbs. just an fyi...

·
Registered
635 Posts
yea i'm glad you opted out cuz the stock 525 is rated at 8400lbs i believe, not to say it wouldn't have gotten you by in a pinch, but personally i'd be worried about any off brand chain rated less than stock...i got a 520 kit from mary(lexusrx) at superbike supply for $145. came with superlite steel rear and steel front, available in many gear configurations, and had the EK MVX chain, rated at 9000lbs. just an fyi...
Damn that sounds like a smoking deal there.

·
Late Apex
803 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Who ?
Mary(Lexusrx)
is this. A member ? Website ?:eek:ccasion1

·
Registered
825 Posts

·
Registered
184 Posts
what is the significance of getting a 520 kit rather then a stock setup? and what gearing would be recommended for a 3rd gen?. sorry i dont know much about gearing etc

·
Registered
249 Posts
what is the significance of getting a 520 kit rather then a stock setup? and what gearing would be recommended for a 3rd gen?. sorry i dont know much about gearing etc
520 kit just makes the rotating sprokets and chain a bit lighter...but they will sacrifice a little tensile strength over the 525s. however, some of the aftermarket 520s these days are stronger than our stock 525 setup chains. so do your homework and choose wisely. as for what gearing to go with...depends what you want your bike to perform like. smaller(less teeth) in the front and larger(more teeth) in the rear will make the bike take off quicker but you will lose top end speed. i personally have a -1 front/ +2 rear setup, but i know the gen 2's are geared low to begin with. dunno as much about the gen 3 stock gearing. all comes down to what you want.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts