Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have searched around the forums and I did not find any threads about 'chain cleaning'.

Anyways, I just use a chain degreaser, wash it off with water/soap - I repeat this method three times, and then after all that I use a chain lube.

Any method better than mines?

Also, can I just use a WD-40 (cheaper) instead of a chain degreaser specifically being sold for bikes?

Thanks!

·
Registered
708 Posts
1 treatment of WD40 gets it sparkling clean.

Reactions: JepoyDaNinja

·
Registered
75 Posts
Kerosene is a great chain cleaner it will not harm the O-rings and gets the gunk off very easily. Chain wax or most of the main stream lube's will do a good job protecting the sprockets and O-rings. I don't use WD 40.

·
Registered
718 Posts
Wd40 gets in passed the o-rings, you should NOT be using it.

Kerosene to clean and some sort of chain lube that's okay for o-rings.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Wd40 gets in passed the o-rings, you should NOT be using it.

Kerosene to clean and some sort of chain lube that's okay for o-rings.
If wd40 can get passed the o-rings then shouldn't kerosene do the same and what about using gas instead of kerosene. What about a chain that was never cleaned that you have to figure out? Aren't those o-rings designed to let lube / liquid in but not out so that's just confusing to me, shouldn't de greaser seep in as well?

In my experience the chain stays pretty clean when sprayed from the inside when warm and wipe off the excess from the outside with a rag doused in gas right after. Now something you inherit that was never cleaned is a different story.

·
The Pace
7,048 Posts
I have a dirty loop so do indeed wipe down the chain with wd40. np's at all. This chain is the best: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B008VIGIKY/ref=ox_sc_sfl_title_2?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A1XUD83KNWY8HF

The above chain will last about 18,000 miles if loop has some slab. If no slab then it lasted me around 12-14k miles, if I recall, on same loop. The EK chain is worse than oem and oem is not as good as above DID ZVM whatever. Dealer installed that EK chain and all it did is stretch from the second month. But, if you don't ride much it really doesn't matter. I lightly wiped down all of them with wd40 and I really don't care what NASA uses or thinks about wd40.

·
Registered
214 Posts
WD-40 is fine for cleaning. It won`t damage the o-rings. And unless the o-rings are worn or damaged and not sealing properly, it will not get past them. Besides, WD-40 smells soo good :laugh2:

·
Registered
708 Posts
Motorcyclist Magazine's test and review of WD40 for chain cleaner.

In a nutshell; it's ideal for chain cleaning and won't harm O-rings.

·
The Pace
7,048 Posts
it says WD-40, but somebody posted a reply in this thread that WD-40 is not good. so which one is it?
Some old timer riders hate wd-40. But I suspect most of these are tour and/or cruisers so never wear out a chain so the dang thing just rots due to age...thus blame it on wd-40. idk, just guessing.

On other hand I have yet to meet a super bike rider that has a backup chain ready; or has changed out a chain due to kink or stretching; or knows anything about chains. Not guessing.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts