Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What is the best chain cleaner out on the market? And the next best. Then the cheapest that gets the job done.... [smilie=2:

·
Registered
193 Posts
Clean your chain????? :eek:

You mean I could've got more than 24,000 miles from my 9R's 530 chain if I'd cleaned it? Damn. :x

·
Registered
34,537 Posts
Richracer1 said:

You mean I could've got more than 24,000 miles from my 9R's 530 chain if I'd cleaned it? Damn. :x
yes that is correct. I use WD-40 sprayed on a rag to wipe it down

BD

·
Registered
193 Posts
Big Daddy said:
Richracer1 said:

yes that is correct. I use WD-40 sprayed on a rag to wipe it down

BD

I was kidding. :) The WD-4 then chain wax process is how I did get 24,000 miles from that OEM 530 chain.

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
simple Green or Kero, then dry it and WD-40 it. Don't use 'chain lube' on it or all you'll do it get it dirty faster. O-ring chains don't need 'lube' like non o-ring (dirtbike) chains do.

·
I really need to get out of the house
11,176 Posts
gladding24 said:
simple Green or Kero, then dry it and WD-40 it. Don't use 'chain lube' on it or all you'll do it get it dirty faster. O-ring chains don't need 'lube' like non o-ring (dirtbike) chains do.
I was always under the impression that the lube is for the sprockets and to prevent rust.

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
the WD-40 will disperse H2O and prevent rust.

·
Registered
34,537 Posts
Gentleman we have metal on metal here which necessitates a lubricant no matter if they are O/X-ring chains or not.

BD

·
Registered
36 Posts
Big Daddy said:
Gentleman we have metal on metal here which necessitates a lubricant no matter if they are O/X-ring chains or not.

BD

uhhh i think i am going to have to agree with the above statment, lube good :)

·
Registered
2,299 Posts
DMPPerformance said:
Big Daddy said:

BD

100% correct, the rollers do not have seals. The X-ring seals are on the pins between the plates. If you will notice, the rollers are independant of the X-rings. I spray WD-40 or similar onto the chain with a shop towel below the chain to catch the mess. Wipe the chain down to get rid of the excess WD-40. And then I lube with Chain Wax on the inside of the rollers. I continue to spin the wheel for a while to let the propelent in the Chain Wax evaporate so the Chain Wax will not sling off. I got almost 27,000 miles out of a stock R1 chain like that and I probably could have nursed it to 35,000 miles. The sprockets showed no visable wear. And the chain had very little stretch. I changed because the rear wheel didn't spin as freely as it had before and I figured the reason was that the chain wasn't as free as it had been. When I put on the new chain, it spun freely again.

·
Registered
5,042 Posts
zeta xray said:
DMPPerformance said:
Big Daddy said:

BD

100% correct, the rollers do not have seals. The X-ring seals are on the pins between the plates. If you will notice, the rollers are independant of the X-rings. I spray WD-40 or similar onto the chain with a shop towel below the chain to catch the mess. Wipe the chain down to get rid of the excess WD-40. And then I lube with Chain Wax on the inside of the rollers. I continue to spin the wheel for a while to let the propelent in the Chain Wax evaporate so the Chain Wax will not sling off. I got almost 27,000 miles out of a stock R1 chain like that and I probably could have nursed it to 35,000 miles. The sprockets showed no visable wear. And the chain had very little stretch. I changed because the rear wheel didn't spin as freely as it had before and I figured the reason was that the chain wasn't as free as it had been. When I put on the new chain, it spun freely again.
Thats crazy I have always taken pretty good care of my chains and I have never gotten more than 15k out of one

·
Registered
2,299 Posts
It is marketed under the brand name of Chain Wax. It is in a black and gold can. They also have a black and silver can. I don't know what the difference is. I have always stuck with the black and gold Chain Wax. About 7 bucks at the local K shop.

·
I really need to get out of the house
11,176 Posts
It's probably Maxima Chain Wax. Don't know about the silver can but the gold can stuff doesn't fling off too bad. It's alot better than PJ1, what a mess.

·
Registered
354 Posts
zeta xray said:
DMPPerformance said:
Big Daddy said:

BD

Clean it with W-D or an actual chain cleaner and Lube it with your choice of chain lube after every ride just as you would wash the bike after every ride and it won't leave you out in the cold one day! And for those who are going to go off on this statement, If you use it as a commuter, Do this every 300 miles, This doesn't take long to do and it pays for itself many times over, Like Zeta said, The rollers are not sealed and do get dry and or dirty!

·
Registered
1,938 Posts
I read a lot of people use WD 40 to clean their chain, doesn't WD 40 contain components that (slowly) dissolve the rubber O-rings?

1 - 20 of 23 Posts