Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

How do you clean your chain

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
2,528 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I work with a guy who I have been discussing chain cleaning with. He is sold by the fact of taking it off every year and letting it soak in kerosene. He tells me brushing the chain is horrible and tears up the o-rings and forces dirt, etc. down in there.

I used to use chain wax for my chain but dealers have taken it off the shelves around here because they said it sucks. Now I tried some other stuff can't think of what it is which seems to work ok.

Anyway I use this Motul Chain clean and the "grunge" brush to do my cleaning. I spray it off and scrub it and then spray it off again.

I've read using a nylon brush for the chain is fine but I'm wondering if anyone else does it the same way I do and do they end up with any chain problems?

Is it possible using the grunge brush can actually be bad for the chain? I don't use super force when cleaning just light scrubbing to get the crap off and then spray it off again.

I just want to see how many people use the brush compared to soaking it in kerosene or other ways people do it. I know soaking it in kerosene works but he seems to think scrubbing is horrible and just tears the chain up.

I was going to set this up as a poll but not sure how to do it.

Any way any info on this would be great...I would love to prove him wrong.

·
Hillbillie Mod
20,155 Posts
I just spray a bunch of wd-40 on it to remove the junk and dirt collected, and I am sure to do this when the chain is hot. I run a rag over it when she's up on the stand running in first gear and rub off the wd-40 and grime.

then when my rag is pretty clean, I apply some chain lube of somesort, still when the chains hot, then wipe off the excess.

no brush, and no kerosene...seems like both could mess up your o rings. :dontknow:

·
Registered
2,528 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the poll.

Didn't someone just post something up about that dude that got his fingers cut off by having the bike in hear and using a rag???

I read somewhere they say WD-40 isn't good for the O-rings because it displaces grease or something. Maybe they're wrong?!?!

·
Rent this space
6,590 Posts
Fuel on a rag and a good wipe down , and then a generous blast of chain lube so the excess lube washes the dirt particles out and onto a rag on the floor, let it sit overnight then wipe off the excess. My original sprockets are like new with 15,000 miles on them , the chain was still useable but after 15,000 I changed it anyway (only had 2 notches of adjustment on it)

Lubed once a week on a Friday night.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Rub Kerosene/paraffin into the links individually with an old toothbrush and dry off with a decent cloth. Then lube with a quality product, I'm using Wurth dry chain lube at the moment, it dries instantly and there's hardly any fling. If the O rings didn't like greasy substances they would hold the grease in, would they? So WD40 or Kerosene would seem good ways of cleaning.

I got 22,000 miles out of my oem chain and sprockets on my old R1 so I must be doing something right. My 636 is currently on 17,000 and is on it's original chain and sprockets with no signs of wear.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Rub Kerosene/paraffin into the links individually with an old toothbrush and dry off with a decent cloth. Then lube with a quality product, I'm using Wurth dry chain lube at the moment, it dries instantly and there's hardly any fling. If the O rings didn't like greasy substances they would hold the grease in, would they? So WD40 or Kerosene would seem good ways of cleaning.

I got 22,000 miles out of my oem chain and sprockets on my old R1 so I must be doing something right. My 636 is currently on 17,000 and is on it's original chain and sprockets with no signs of wear.
:+1:

Worth dry is the biz, i'm luvin it.

·
Registered
34,537 Posts
Fuel on a rag and a good wipe down , and then a generous blast of chain lube so the excess lube washes the dirt particles out and onto a rag on the floor, let it sit overnight then wipe off the excess.
Pretty much my method of care.

BD

·
Registered
2,528 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I'll have to look for that article about the WD-40. Was a pretty interesting read. Yeah I clean mine a fair amount but he seems to think the brush is going to destroy the chain.

I wouldn't think they'd still be in business if it tore up all the chains that people use it on.

·
Registered
2,337 Posts
I just spray a bunch of wd-40 on it to remove the junk and dirt collected, and I am sure to do this when the chain is hot. I run a rag over it when she's up on the stand running in first gear and rub off the wd-40 and grime.

then when my rag is pretty clean, I apply some chain lube of somesort, still when the chains hot, then wipe off the excess.

no brush, and no kerosene...seems like both could mess up your o rings. :dontknow:
:+1:

·
La Flama Blanca
7,730 Posts
B-12 on a rag, then lube the orings and center rollers with honda spray chain lube, I leave the outer plates squeaky clean and nice, never had any problems with abonormal or premature wear, but I don't ride in the rain and my bike stays garaged, so corrosion is not a factor.

·
Chickenstrip Eater
4,075 Posts
I'm with FAF, I use good ole gasoline and a rag, then wax lube.

·
Registered
1,763 Posts
WD-40 sprayed on a rag, wipe down real good over and over til clean, and some good ole chain wax:thumbsup:

·
Registered
590 Posts
Spray down with motul cleaner. wipe down spray down with Motul lube change my 520 Chain every 10k miles

·
Registered
275 Posts
I use engine degreaser and rince it with water then every other time, i get a tooth brush and scrub it. lol like brushing my teeth. up and down. lol then rince then let it dry and grease it again with i dont remeber what's it called but its a non-fiying grease. the chain has 8k miles and nothing shows wear!

·
Registered
71 Posts
There are many ways to clean a chain. How you do it is up to you. No matter what you do, it is going to do some damage. WD-40 does indeed work, but it soaks into the chain (past the o-rings) and rinses out the actual chain lube that is in there. Is it bad to do? Could be worse. Gas is does much the same thing, though the o-rings do not get along with it. They start to break down over time. How long does it take for them to go bad? Well I have cleaned my chain with gas, and it has over 6k on it. It doesn't bother me much. The worse thing that will happen no matter how you clean your chain is that it wears out.....but guess what? It is going to wear out anyways!! Chances of it stretching is higher than the o-rings every going bad to the point that it will cause issues.

·
Of course you are faster
2,062 Posts
it doesn't matter how you clean and grease it, just that you do it often... if the chain doesn't look "wet" it needs to be cleaned and greased...

Kerosine isn't the greatest because it can cause the Buna-n O-rings to swell, and then rub more, heat more, and fail faster...

I've got over 100,000 miles on bikes... I've killed my share of chains... I've learned how to keep them in good shape.

Clean the chain... best stuff to use is this.

oops... um I ment this.

It isn't hard on the chain, or the plastics, or anything else, but it melts grease and road grime off pretty good. the Sodium tripolyphospate basically disolves the grease...

Hose it down with your favorite cleaner, this stuff, WD-40, kerosine... what ever, get the black yuck off with a tooth brush (if it won't kill your gums, it won't kill your O-rings)....

Now wash the chain with soap and water to get off any "cleaning agent"...

now grease your chain with your fav lube, I use spray white moly with teflon

wipe off excess...

when the chain starts to look "dry"... do it again...

simple as that.

·
Registered
612 Posts
Probably about 200 miles I use 611 chain cleaner after a ride when the chain is still warm/hot and let it soak in for a few minutes then wipe off with a rag and sometimes I'll wipe the chain again with a little 611 on the rag. then I use Amsoil lube which sprays on clear, drys pretty quick, doesn't fly off, and doesn't attract dirt. Chain looks great!!!

·
Registered
2,528 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
So does anyone really think that using a brush is will destroy the chain any quicker than cleaning any other way?

1 - 20 of 47 Posts