1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
5,228 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
34,537 Posts
nope, but not a bad alternative to WD-40 or whatever else people use.

BD

·
Registered
5,228 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I would rather my hands smell like a household cleaning agent than diesel fuel. You could also use kerosene. You would have to take the back tire off and let the chain soak in it and the wipe it down. This stuff you just spray on and wipe off.

·
Banned
1,196 Posts
I don't worry much about how my hands smell. To clean the chain with diesel I scrub the chain with an old toothbrush as I rotate the rear wheel then wipe it down with some paper towels. Then I take the bike out to warm up the chain and apply a good lube like PJ1 Black Label.

·
Registered
1,945 Posts
buy yourself a gallon of kerosene and a tool called THE GRUNGE BRUSH.
chain will clean up like new every time. I wear rubber gloves and don't get a drop of that kerosene on me. The brush has a nice long handle of 7" or so is fully adjustable for different sized chains and has lasted me about three years so far and still going strong.

·
Registered
5,179 Posts
busaforhire said:
buy yourself a gallon of kerosene and a tool called THE GRUNGE BRUSH.
chain will clean up like new every time. I wear rubber gloves and don't get a drop of that kerosene on me. The brush has a nice long handle of 7" or so is fully adjustable for different sized chains and has lasted me about three years so far and still going strong.
I've been thinking about pickin' up one of those brushes but I was afraid it was just another gimmick tool. So it works pretty good? :dontknow:

·
Registered
4,682 Posts
I went to a race and a guy from a shop gave me some new stuff from kawi. I was all tapped out. so waxed the chain and went out. HOLLY TITS!!!! Now i want more but dont know what it was all i know is it was green and foamy. and made by kawi. But wow no sling shaved a tenth and reaaaalllly nice. have nooo idea what it was....sht

·
Registered
2,060 Posts
El Diablo said:
I've been thinking about pickin' up one of those brushes but I was afraid it was just another gimmick tool. So it works pretty good?
on the Grunge Brush. It works like a champ. Kerosene and the brush cleans a chain like new.

·
Registered
5,179 Posts
Thanks for the feedback on the brush. I don't have a wife so I guess I might as well get a Grunge Brush next time I'm in a shop. Wouldn't be as funny to use my own toothbrush. :mrgreen:

·
Green Hippie
17,566 Posts
El Diablo said:
Thanks for the feedback on the brush. I don't have a wife so I guess I might as well get a Grunge Brush next time I'm in a shop. Wouldn't be as funny to use my own toothbrush. :mrgreen:
naw go ahead El D you could post a nice how to wit ya own brush lol

·
Registered
5,179 Posts
treyzx10r said:
naw go ahead El D you could post a nice how to wit ya own brush lol
I was thinking about doing that very thing. :wink:

·
Registered
1,913 Posts
That Chain Clean is heaven for us lazy folk.....just spray on and the grime and road grunge just falls off. I highly recommend it. The lazy man juice does come with a price though....I pay $8.79 for a can at Cycle Gear.

·
Registered
1,945 Posts
El Diablo said:
yea you'll be amazed at how easy it is...well worth the price of admission :mrgreen:

·
Registered
4,118 Posts
man you guys make shit complicated, for me, WD-40 cleans my chain with a rag, then all that gunky crap inside near the shifter, gearbox location, then on the rims, the black body panels, the rear spools when grim builds up on it, shit, just about everything but the freakin paint. then on the chain i hit her up with chain lube spray.

·
Registered
434 Posts
Simple Green works really well. When I was my bike I have it on the rear stand. I just spray the chain with simple green and hit it a few times with the grunge brush. Spin the wheel and hose down the chain.... Nice and clean. Dry the chain/bike with shop vac and then I ride it for a few miles to heat the chain. Spray it with chain wax.... Let the bike sit while I have lunch and shower off, by then it's ready to ride!

·
Registered
424 Posts
I have never done anything to my chains accept spray on the lube (Chain Wax) and take a rag (to remove the excess), hold the chain in my hand, spin the tire. Cleans inside and out. This also spreads that chain lube over the links to help prevent any rust.
Looks like this the entire life of the chain. I worry about using all those chemicals (Kerosene, Deisel, WD40) on O-ring chains, but that's just me.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 24 Posts