Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just a group question to see who does what (for how many Jellybeans) and how often.
For me, I use Simple Green and a nylon brush(so as not to tear the O-rings) to clean the chain. I don't know why, but I'm really Anal about it too. I use a spray bottle with straight simple green to soak the chain and let it sit for one beer. Then I pour a little diluted S.G.+water in a container and use a "potato" brush to clean the top, bottom, side plates and inner links of the chain(duration, about one beer). After I've got it pretty well cleaned, I use the hose to rinse off the cleaner(kind of a mist, just to wash off the S.G. and grime) after the chain's rinsed off, I run the bike in gear on the stand at about 50-60 mph for a min. or two to throw off the excess water. Then I spray the rollers, inside and out where they meet the link plates with WD-40(a little goes a long way) and I give the outer link plates a shot to lube the O-rings. I let it sit for a bit(duration, about 2 beers) and wipe off the excess with a clean rag.
I do this about once a week, more if I'm riding a lot, or if I get caught in the rain. Between new and now(7.5k mi) I've had to adjust the chain 3 times, and each time I have taken up just a little excess slack(about 1/4 turn on the adjusting bolts). I used this method on my '00 Zx7R and got well over 15k mi. out of the original chain(I sold it at 15k mi. there was Lots of adj. left in the chain) with no dead/stuck links in it.
After I'm finished I sit and admire my Green Machine in the garage for a while(duration 2-20 beers).
What do you guys do, and how many beers does it take?

·
I really need to get out of the house
11,176 Posts
I've never used a brush for cleaning, maybe I should. :confused:

Every 500 miles I soak the chain in kerosene and then wipe it off with a clean rag. After it dries the chain gets covered with Maxim chain wax which seems to fling less than anything else I've used.

And after every long ride I'll spray the rollers for safe measure.

·
Registered
634 Posts
Same here. I use kerosene with a nylon brush and rag. After its all good and clean I use the Maxim. I used to use WD40 to clean, but the Kerosene cuts the time down by about 50%.

·
Registered
34,537 Posts
Gladding24

I'm shock your able to note every step due to 'a beer here a beer there, here a beer there a beer everywhere a beer. :lol:

My chain maintenance consists of regular WD-40 wipe downs and lubed with Honda HP Lube and adjustments when warm.

BD

·
Hillbillie Mod
20,155 Posts
Big Daddy said:
Gladding24

I'm shock your able to note every step due to 'a beer here a beer there, here a beer there a beer everywhere a beer. :lol:

BD
Thats funny. :rotflmao: No beers here.

Big Daddy said:
My chain maintenance consists of regular WD-40 wipe downs and lubed with Honda HP Lube and adjustments when warm.

BD
I use the same method bit I use PJ41. The stuff sucks! It slings everywhere and I have to use WD-40 to clean my rim. I like the kerosine Idea though if it saves time.

·
Registered
1,795 Posts
WD-40 all the way (cleaning). I use it about every 1000 miles to clean the chain. Then ride it about 50 miles to get it hot, clean the bike, and then use a good chain wax ( for me it is Castrol chain wax) for the remainder of the miles.

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Big Daddy said:
Gladding24
I have lots of practice with the here a motorcycle beer, there a maintainance beer, everywhere a clean beer bike beer game. Didn't you see the Kidney Cleaning Solvent in my clutch fix post? I'll give you a hint, it's on the kitchen counter, right next to the steel clutch plates :wink: .
I find my routine maintainance chores much easier to perform if my liver is hard at work.
Word to the wise though, getting absolutely schnockered while working on the bike is not, repeat Not a good idea. That situation tends to lead to lots of spare, and more often than not, important spare, parts. It's a real bitch rebuilding the top end in your 2-stroke, putting it all back together, then waking up in the morning only to find a "spare" wrist pin circlip laying on the workbench, and not being able to tell if it used or new. :eyecrazy: :rant:

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
At least with a spare piston, there's no doubt about whether you're tearing the top end apart again.

·
Registered
2,386 Posts
WOW.

I have yet to do anything with my chain.

Everytime I get the oil changed the chain gets cleaned.

That is enough for me.

Why do you guys spend so much time on the chain?

What is the point?

·
Registered
34,537 Posts
crispin said:
WOW.

I have yet to do anything with my chain.

Everytime I get the oil changed the chain gets cleaned.

That is enough for me.

Why do you guys spend so much time on the chain?

What is the point?
not only is it good for the chain but the sprockets as well, O and lets not forget longevity.

BD

·
Registered
37 Posts
gladding24 said:
after the chain's rinsed off, I run the bike in gear on the stand at about 50-60 mph for a min. or two to throw off the excess water.
I'm glad I only counted two beers in your procedure up to this point. Three or more beers before this maneuver could lead to disaster.:eyecrazy:

I use the 'wipe with WD40, lube with Maxima Chain Wax' method about every 3 to 4 hundred miles.

L8-apex

·
Registered
5,042 Posts
I clena mine every 2k, or if I get caught in the rain, spray it with WD40 and then use a nylon brush and scrub it, then I spray it down with Maxim let it stand and wipe the excess.

·
Registered
271 Posts
gladding24 said:
Just a group question to see who does what (for how many Jellybeans) and how often.
For me, I use Simple Green and a nylon brush(so as not to tear the O-rings) to clean the chain. I don't know why, but I'm really Anal about it too. I use a spray bottle with straight simple green to soak the chain and let it sit for one beer. Then I pour a little diluted S.G.+water in a container and use a "potato" brush to clean the top, bottom, side plates and inner links of the chain(duration, about one beer). After I've got it pretty well cleaned, I use the hose to rinse off the cleaner(kind of a mist, just to wash off the S.G. and grime) after the chain's rinsed off, I run the bike in gear on the stand at about 50-60 mph for a min. or two to throw off the excess water. Then I spray the rollers, inside and out where they meet the link plates with WD-40(a little goes a long way) and I give the outer link plates a shot to lube the O-rings. I let it sit for a bit(duration, about 2 beers) and wipe off the excess with a clean rag.
I do this about once a week, more if I'm riding a lot, or if I get caught in the rain. Between new and now(7.5k mi) I've had to adjust the chain 3 times, and each time I have taken up just a little excess slack(about 1/4 turn on the adjusting bolts). I used this method on my '00 Zx7R and got well over 15k mi. out of the original chain(I sold it at 15k mi. there was Lots of adj. left in the chain) with no dead/stuck links in it.
After I'm finished I sit and admire my Green Machine in the garage for a while(duration 2-20 beers).
What do you guys do, and how many beers does it take?
Hm how long does it take you to drink 1 beer? After 4 or more do you even care bout chain?
Why you clean it and wax it anyway?
Never heard that some1 doin this.:redface: But that is i guess we in ex-comunist countrys doin things diffrent.:dontknow:

j/k
:beer:

·
Registered
3,311 Posts
I'm with BD, WD40 to clean it, wipe excess..ride for a bit to get all that to fling off and heat things up...then HP chain lube

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
a, It takes a few minutes to knock back a beer, I love my chain, no matter how many beers I've had :) and I don't use chain wax. WD-40 is the only thing I put on it.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts