Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so ive noticed when I do clutch up wheelies every now and then it would sound like a slight clink when I let out the clutch and it grabs wasn't sure if that was normal sounds of the clutch till now...I went to attempt a 4th gear clutch up and I got a clunk and the chain came off??!?! I pulled over and was able to easily roll the bike back on the chain and I'm thinking to myself this can't be right...how much chain slack an I supposed to have? With the bike at rest I can lift the lowers hanging point of the chain like 4 inches with my finger!! Is this normal? Also while down there I noticed my rear sprocket looks to be really close to my swingarm like the bolts/nuts on the sprocket actually look like they have been cumming into contact with my swingarm as there is a wear spot and even on my chain guard there's a wear spot from the chain that must be coming close... I took pic with my phone but don't know how to post them in here they're too big...?

·
Registered
372 Posts
Your chain is not supposed to have more than 1 1/2 in slack at the most. How many miles on your bike and how often did you clean/ adjust the chain?

·
Registered
599 Posts
Pictures of sprocket? And chain is WAY too loose. Tighten ASAP!!!!

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'm the second owner bought it with 4k now has 6k I had just cleaned the chain a few weeks ago but Im thinking it had this slack when I bought it but ya how do I post pics from my phone?? There looks to be a 1/4 inch gap between the actual rim and whatever it is the sprocket bolts to. If this is supposed to be inside of the wheel rather than sticking out a 1/4 inch then this may ne why my sprocket and chain are so rubbing

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
ok so i took off the wheel and the carrier just popped right off with no effort at all...im thinking it was pressed on all the way which was causing the 1/4 inch offset to the left ide making contact with my swingarm..anyways can some one please post up picture of what the spacers are supposed to look like on the carrier? i dont think this bike has the prober spacers or something is just wrong here..

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)

i didnt realize how bad it was till i removed the wheel...i remember hearing a knocking at one point a while back and then it went away. must have been the bolts chewing away at the swingarm. also in the 1t and 2nd pic you can see the 1/4" gap of the carrier to the wheel

·
Boomer Sooner!
2,337 Posts
I don't really know a lot about that stuff, but I know that's not how it's supposed to look and I wouldn't be riding untill you get that fixed.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
ok ive go the spacers and i think all those parts...it had just looked as if something was moved inwards too much of the carrier or im missing an "oil seal" on the chain side which i cant really tell what its supposed to look like all assembled :( either way i just bought a used complete carrier with sprocket off ebay for $35 cant loose there except for time!

·
Registered
842 Posts
lol at the metal shavings all over the wheel...you should have 3 total spacers one on each side of the wheel and then the one for the rear brake

·
REPOST Enforcement Mod
14,867 Posts
OMFG. Do not ride that bike at all until you get this issue fixed. Not only is there an issue with the chain jumping off the sprocket, but you have carrier issues. Serious issues. If it were me, you need new chain, sprockets, and wheel bearings at this point. There's no way I would trust that the sprockets aren't bent or the chain has been running out of alignment for who knows how long. The hub and bearings have been carrying the load while the sprockets and hub are out of whack. The swing arm looks horrible where the parts have come together. It looks like the wheel spacer was left out when it was put back together.

You are really, really lucky you didn't do major engine damage or wreck your bike when the chain jumped off. Having a professional inspect the bike and make the proper repair would be wise as opposed to throwing on some cheap eBay parts at this point.

·
ZX-10R enthusiast
6,556 Posts
:+1: ^^^^ That swingarm is compromised too.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
the rear sprocket is straight i removed it and checked it out the teeth also dont show any odd signs of uneven wear. as for the carrier, i dont know what the hell happened as all the collars/ spacers SEEM to be there but some how they were pushed inwards towards the RH side of the bike which caused the wheel to offset and the carrier to never full seat flush to the rim. how this happened i have no idea id need a side by side comparison with a good complete carrier which is partly why i bought a used on from a 2010 ZX10R which also came with the sprocket at $35.... some people may be too anal and want all new parts but if my current part has 6k on it why not get a used part which is described as and even looks to be perfect condition for way cheaper than rebuilding my original carrier? as for my swing arm i wouldnt go so far as to say its compromised as it only has scrape/wear marks on the inside not causing any structural damage. its not pretty and yes id like to replace it at some point but for now there is no need unless i can get one for $35 haha. just wish i was able to spot this problem sooner, dont know why i didnt notice it so im not even sure it has been there for a while.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Back in 07 whaen I bought my 1st gen 2, on the 1st service the dealership said 3/4" of play on tge chain. Thats by lifting the middle of the chain under the swingarm and measuring from the floor. Since have always used that measurement and been just fine.

·
Does not drive into smoke
2,156 Posts
as for my swing arm i wouldnt go so far as to say its compromised as it only has scrape/wear marks on the inside not causing any structural damage.
A wheel sitting at this angle would wobble. This would cause vibrations to be transferred to everything that is attached nearby. Your swingarm may very well be fine, but you cannot really be sure at this point.

Is the spacer damaged? If you look at the damaged part you can make an educated guess about how long it's been damaged for.

·
REPOST Enforcement Mod
14,867 Posts
The weld on the swing arm is almost completely gone from where the parts were grinding. Compromised it is.

·
Gen2 Ripper
4,867 Posts
I can see the cush drive separating in the first 2 pictures. You need to have the rear wheel replaced man. Too much damage has occurred.
You also need to remove the front sprocket cover and look at front sprocket and engine cases to see if their is damage their too from chain jumping off.

·
Registered
599 Posts
I can see the cush drive separating in the first 2 pictures. You need to have the rear wheel replaced man. Too much damage has occurred.
You also need to remove the front sprocket cover and look at front sprocket and engine cases to see if their is damage their too from chain jumping off.
:+1:

Do this!!

And i know you may not want to hear it but they're right. Time for a new swingarm. Ive seen em go for around 100 used?

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
ok well to respond to a few of you guys... the wheel never wobbled at all the bike always rode straight with no vibrations at all... upon inspection of the wheel, the wheel is fin along with eveything inside it the cush is also in good condition. the collar/ washers all in good shaper no wear marks or chips nothing is out of round. like ive been trying to say it looks as if the collar on the chain side had sunk into the carrier (i dont know how or why) which pushed the carrier to separate from the wheel and leave that 1/4" gap. while it did that it also made for the bolts on the sprocket to come into contact with the swingarm (whick is the bigger radius groove) and then the actual carrier center section is what came into contact with the swingarm as well which is the smaller radius groove. i didnt notice that there was a bead of weld that is nearly all grooved off so ya i MAY be in the market for a swingarm as well now WTF!

·
Registered
388 Posts
It's easy to mistakenly put the rubber Cush bumpers in backwards (a factory mechanic admitted to doing this) which spaces the carrier out about 3/16", and it looks like someone left out/modified the spacer to get it to fit. Check to see if the rubber alignment nubs are facing the carrier and not the wheel like usual.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts