1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
536 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
am i right when i say that the stock
front sprocket = 17t?
rear is = 40t?

i need a new chain and sprockets. why do people convert to the 520?? whats the benefits of this.

and what type of chain and sprockets do people suggest.
i have a aftermarket black vortex on the back and JUST noticed 3 teeth are gone all in a row. it has about 8,000 miles on it.

and what is this about using a zzr or some other models front sprocket?

just go up 3 in rear?
or -1 and +2 in the rear? = 16t front and 42t rear??

i am not staying stock!

anyone running these combos or suggestions would be greatly appreciated!!

·
Registered
1,944 Posts
The 520 conversion is used to reduce rotating mass.....I personally run the 520 DID ERV3 Race chain with a vortex 17t front sprocket and a 43t rear sprocket. The rear sprocket sounds like the same one you have, a black aluminum Vortex sprocket. The thing with aluminum sprockets is they usually don't last as long as steel sprockets, but they weigh less and therefore are less rotating mass. I visually check the rear sprocket before every ride just to make sure there are not any teeth missing.

I would say go stock front, +3 rear...Others will say go -1, +2...It's all up to you!! The 520 ERV3 chain is just as strong as the stock chain....

·
Registered
3,561 Posts
if u go +3 on the rear u will need a longer chain. Going with a -1 +2 combo u can just order a standard chain and will fit fine. For the record standard chain are 525. Going to a more costly 520 conversion will not be of any benefit to you.

·
Registered
2,524 Posts
if u go +3 on the rear u will need a longer chain. Going with a -1 +2 combo u can just order a standard chain and will fit fine. For the record standard chain are 525. Going to a more costly 520 conversion will not be of any benefit to you.
how do ya figure? Going from a 525 to a 520 will shave off 3-5 pounds even aftermarket 525 chains are lighter than stock 525 chains, less rotational mass=more powaaaa :lol:

·
Registered
3,561 Posts
how do ya figure? Going from a 525 to a 520 will shave off 3-5 pounds even aftermarket 525 chains are lighter than stock 525 chains, less rotational mass=more powaaaa :lol:
Sure but will u notice. I didn't. Done the 520. went back to 525.And I buy them all the time since I ride track.I just find that the 525 last longer. The savings outweigh the benefits.

·
Registered
34,537 Posts
thats not really true regardless of the brand your speaking of. The weight diff between a 100L OEM 525 or aftermarket vs a 100L 520 isn't but 1/2lb at best. I realize its only 1 example but there's plenty of others.

100L DID 520zvm2 = 3.65lbs
100L DID 525zvm2 = 4.01

BD

·
Registered
2,524 Posts
thats not really true regardless of the brand your speaking of. The weight diff between a 100L OEM 525 or aftermarket vs a 100L 520 isn't but 1/2lb at best. I realize its only 1 example but there's plenty of others.

100L DID 520zvm2 = 3.65lbs
100L DID 525zvm2 = 4.01

BD
true i am referring to quality brands rk did, etc and i was referring from stock 525 to aftermarket 520 there would be a dramatic difference

·
Registered
34,537 Posts
true i am referring to quality brands rk did, etc and i was referring from stock 525 to aftermarket 520 there would be a dramatic difference
i listed DID as my example. :mrgreen: Honestly there's not a big diff between an OEM 525 and aftermarket 520, 1lb at best.
Now if you were speaking of an OEM 530 vs aftermarket DID 520 it'll be a net reduction of 2lbs with an aftermarket aluminum rear sprocket.

BD

·
Registered
201 Posts
Maybe one of you Lucky bastards that have a new shiny '08 10 can answer this question for me....(Sorry to jump the thread by the way). Is the gearing for the new 08 17t up front and 42t in the rear????

·
Registered
536 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I need to buy this chain ASAP!!
if i go down -1 on the front and +2 in the rear will a stock chain WORK or not? .....or do i need to add links? and how many if AT ALL?

PLEASE if anyone has done this let me know.
i need to order this gear tomorrow!!

·
Registered
2,897 Posts
I need to buy this chain ASAP!!
if i go down -1 on the front and +2 in the rear will a stock chain WORK or not? .....or do i need to add links? and how many if AT ALL?

PLEASE if anyone has done this let me know.
i need to order this gear tomorrow!!
I personally would not use an old chain with new sprockets and vice versa. :headshake I am running (06 ZX-10R sizes are different for 04-05) AFRAM 16t (-1) front and AFRAM 42 (+2) teeth rear with a DID ERV3 520 gold chain (X-ring). This seems to be the winning combination and most used. :eek:ccasion1

I also highly recommend buying a Motion Pro chain breaker/press kit. It will make replacing a chain so much easier.
http://www.sumofallparts.net/product_detail.aspx?item_guid=f3a3954f-6771-4a0a-a883-aeb956803ee1

1 - 20 of 34 Posts