Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
543 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey, I am trying to finish up installation of my new sprockets and chain. I have an EK 520zzz chain with a rivet type masterlink. So I have a chain breaker/ rivet tool I start assembling the masterlink as directed and I go to rivet it together and I realize I have no rivets. Is this normal? Are rivets supposed to come with the chain or do I have to get them separately? Thanks, am ready to have the bike back on the road.

·
Registered
256 Posts
whoa buddy! you got yourself confused. your thinking about the wrong kind of rivets. when they mean rivet style its just pressed fit together and the ends of the master link is flared out keeping the links from coming un-done. you dont have to buy any additional rivets.

·
Registered
34,537 Posts
Hey, I am trying to finish up installation of my new sprockets and chain. I have an EK 520zzz chain with a rivet type masterlink. So I have a chain breaker/ rivet tool I start assembling the masterlink as directed and I go to rivet it together and I realize I have no rivets. Is this normal? Are rivets supposed to come with the chain or do I have to get them separately? Thanks, am ready to have the bike back on the road.
Stop the train Blink:wink:

As you've probably noticed the mstr link is a seperate link all its own as shown in Fig#2 http://www.ekchain.com/install.htm and connects the two ends of the chain together via 2 posts and once it is installed and the additional side plate afixed on the opposite side the ends of the posts are peened just enough to secure it together.,,hence rivet.

BD

·
Registered
543 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ahh HA!!! Thanks, so I just gotta push the plate into the posts. This seems much easier. Im young and a little slow haha. Thanks for the help! All of my projects end up being harder than I think it will be, I was just preparing for the worst.

·
Registered
34,537 Posts
When performing the peening be careful not to overdo it as they will split so alternate between the 2 pins a little at a time.

BD

·
Registered
543 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Any advice for tools to do this? Should I use my chain breaker and just slowly add force and alternate pins?

·
REPOST Enforcement Mod
14,756 Posts
No, you need a chain riveting tool with the proper flaring attachment to hold the pin on the back side and spread the pin ends over the side plate and "rivet" them. The chain breaker is used to push the pins back out and cannot be used to peen the new ones. A good riveting tool is roughly $70 and will come with instructions on how to use it.

Also, don't forget to use the spacing plates that come with the chain so you don't pinch the o-rings when riveting the chain together.

·
Registered
543 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Man this project is getting expensive, I should have just made the dealership deal with it haha.

·
Registered
543 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Do you think that my local dealership would pop them on for me for like $20 bucks or so? I have a trailer and they are about 5 min from my house. That just seems easier than paying 70 to get a tool to do it myself.

·
REPOST Enforcement Mod
14,756 Posts
Yeah, but if you spend the $$$ now, the future chains will be free! The proper tools are invaluable and if you always take it to the dealership, then you'll always have to. Spend the money on the riveting tool - that's my opinion!!!

·
REPOST Enforcement Mod
14,756 Posts
Motion Pro makes a sweet cutter/riveting kit all in one. It's a little more expensive because of the cutter too, but a really nice kit with everything you'll need. Do a Google search to find the best price or hit up the site sponsors.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,427 Posts
Sometimes learning and getting the required tools cost abit more at first. I agree with the others. Have fun

·
Registered
1,944 Posts
Motion Pro makes a sweet cutter/riveting kit all in one. It's a little more expensive because of the cutter too, but a really nice kit with everything you'll need. Do a Google search to find the best price or hit up the site sponsors.
This is the exaclt same kit I have and love it.

Also, make sure you get enough peen on the pins....it sucks REAL BAD when you don't peen the pins over enough!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts