Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
My question is how often do I have to adjust my chain? Besides the obvious loose chain how often are some of you adjusting your chain? I was getting onto a 65mph highway from a 50mph and I was in 6th gear and I down shifted into 5th and somehow it went into neutral and I hit the throttle hard to get onto the highway I must of not pushed down hard enough to engage it into 5th and the engine just screamed and then I tried to put into gear and my chain came off of both sprockets.The chain was so loose that I was able to put it back on to ride it up the ramp onto a pickup truck.The chain was just hanging on I know when I left my driveway there was no way that it was that loose,Im sure that would of heard it. The bike was serviced at 1100 miles and at time of incident it had 1800 miles on it.Went to adjust it when I got it home as per specs it goes from 1.5in. to super tight.Any ideas?

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
lol, thats what i would call a squid

adjust it as often as you need. check it before every ride. shit like that can kill you

·
Registered
2,897 Posts
damn you got lucky on that one,.... could have been in some serious trouble had that chain got caught in between the sprocket and rear wheel.... or worse

·
Registered
4,818 Posts
Sounds like you need a few things:

1.new chain
2.new sprockets
3.a regular maintenance schedule

Tension should be measured in between the sprockets on the bottom and should be between 30-45mm IIRC

I would also get yourself the service manual....goes over the whole bike in detail. You can't neglect stuff like that or you can DIE.

·
Registered
524 Posts
I've got about 6K on my 08 and have only adjusted my chain twice. After about 1k it just stopped stretching. Don't worry about what anyone says, continue to ask any questions you have. That's how you learn. :thumbsup:

·
Guilty by association
8,751 Posts
I've got about 6K on my 08 and have only adjusted my chain twice. After about 1k it just stopped stretching. Don't worry about what anyone says, continue to ask any questions you have. That's how you learn. :thumbsup:
I agree ask questions because that is what a forum is.

as far as your chain goes, just measure it every so often and normally a quick glance will tell you if its sagging too much. Anything like tires, wheels, chains, sprockets, brakes, and fluid levels should all be checked often and in depth. Have fun bro

·
Registered
618 Posts
Maintainence is first and foremost,don't go by your mileage,allways measure the slack range,when you get new chain and sprockets ask the mechanic to show you how its done if your not sure,ride safe!!

·
Registered
4,818 Posts
Depends on the chain...OEM I would check every 300 miles or so. Aftermarket can go longer depending on brand and variation...

·
Registered
230 Posts
I have to ajust mine after everytime I ride WTF is up with my chain?
Rear axle nut tourqed to spec?? Adjusters snug??

For the original poster...

Chain, tire presure and condition, brakes, fluids, steering and cables should be checked befor every ride. It only takes a few minutes. Could prevent a nasty crash. Ride safe man:cool:

·
MIA Post Whore
8,727 Posts
the slack should be measured from the tightiest spot on the chain...:thumbsup:
Good point. Many people fail to realize their sprockets are less than round. My chain get's checked b4 every ride. Just a quick test with the toe of my boot. I don't even change the tension when I switch between my street and track wheels usually. I do check the tension all the way around at that time, and when I maintenance the chain. ...which is often. I like er to be clean. My bike may be filthy, buy by damn, my chain will be clean. :mrgreen:

·
Banned
2,838 Posts
just to add it is better to have a chain too loose the too tight! if it's too tight it will act as a solid member and stop your suspension from working. I have this method for checking adjustment:

grab you chain just behind the rear set. you should be able to push up with one finger and it should just hit the swing arm! this method gives you about 2'' of free play!

·
Registered
4,818 Posts
the slack should be measured from the tightiest spot on the chain...:thumbsup:
Right. Rotate the chain until it is at it's tightest spot due to out-of-round sprockets and stretched chains. Then check it in between the sprockets on the bottom. Some would also say to check the chain when the bike has the rider on it because that will change the tension on the chain obviously, but according to the book it just says to check the chain on the sidestand, which is what the 30-45mm tolerance is for. And yes, a chain a little too loose is better than too tight. 2 inches seems a tad too loose to me personally, but I am just splitting hairs. I just shoot for 45mm (about 1.8 inches) :thumbsup:

·
Banned
2,838 Posts
Right. Rotate the chain until it is at it's tightest spot due to out-of-round sprockets and stretched chains. Then check it in between the sprockets on the bottom. Some would also say to check the chain when the bike has the rider on it because that will change the tension on the chain obviously, but according to the book it just says to check the chain on the sidestand, which is what the 30-45mm tolerance is for. And yes, a chain a little too loose is better than too tight. 2 inches seems a tad too loose to me personally, but I am just splitting hairs. I just shoot for 45mm (about 1.8 inches) :thumbsup:
Yes, GOD forbid we have 2'' and not the ummmmm 1.8 :headshake

·
Registered
4,818 Posts
^^^ LOL hence the splitting hairs comment. :mrgreen:

·
Registered
1,976 Posts
This whole tread, I find too weird for words. I still have my original chain on my 05. I've adjusted it once or twice between replacing tires, but basically it's adjust when putting the wheel back on, and keep an eye on it.

Thankfully the tires don't last long enough to make chain adjustments a problem. :crackup:

And yes find the tight spot, that's where your slack check is made, that Part isn't weird, it's critical.

·
Registered
4,818 Posts
Weird? :dontknow:

At least the guy didn't kill himself, and asked about it. Now as long as he doesn't leave 2 inches slack he will be good!

giggity

1 - 20 of 22 Posts