Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone.
First time I'm writing on this forum, but I've been here before multiple times searching for info about gen4.
I thought I may add short story of my project for those that may be interested in such stuff.

I build a track bike of road damaged gen4, that is basically stock bike with removed eveything that's not needed, track fairings and chinese bits. Usual track tool that I will not cry after I crash it.

The thing is I got interest in buliding carbon fiber parts when owning my previous bike. 2009 R1
Back then I wanted ultimate street bike that would be possibly light with spending not a fortune on it but my work and invention. I made from scratch carbon fiber self supporting tail that replaced oem tail frame and fairings saving several kilograms. It was also supposed to make room for undertail fuel tank. Together came some other cf parts I made from scratch. In the end I turned completly to track riding, crashed it there and replaced with zx10.

Obviuos idea over last winter was to make the same for the new bike. So here it goes.
Plan was to make the final part out of prepreg carbon this time. Before I used infusion but with gained knowledge and experience I wanted to upgrade on the technology used.
Explanation for those who do not know compostes:
Composites are made of fiber and resin. So there can be different fibers(glass, kevlar, carbon) different resins( polyester, epoxy etc.) and methods how they are joined( wet layup, vacuum infusion, prepreg)
Selection of those gives different quality and properties but also the time, amount of work and tooling needed are different so this is always deterimining the final cost. Thats if you ever are going to pay for CF parts. Not all are the same.

I used standard oem frame and track tail fairing to build a model of the complete final part and then make a mould of it.

Attachments

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
This has been filled sanded and painted for smooth solid finish and then 3 piece mould was made. Because the mould would have to work stressed by vacuum forces at elevated temperatures, the materials and build technique were selected accordingly.

Attachments

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Then each part of the mould is layed with the outer skin of the carbon fiber prepreg in a way that twill pattern will create nice visual effect. Each of the parts goes into vacuum bag for an hour at least so the fabric gets precisely pressed into its possition. Then all the parts are bolted together and further layes are applied to create complete part. In the and all this goes into large vaccum bag and as such into the oven.

Attachments

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
After cleanup, alluminium inserts were glued in for the bolt holes. Bracket for rear tank support was also made and glued in as well as exhaust hanger threads.

Attachments

·
REPOST Enforcement Mod
'16 ZX-10R KRT
15,726 Posts
I fucking love carbon, and I love it even more when people do good shit with it!

·
Registered
2,929 Posts
That is a gift you have!fg luv it!20 hours in labor ching $ ching $!that makes it a very expensive part!Carbomoto have just the side supports for $400-$500 I think

·
Registered
70 Posts
Your work is BEAUTIFUL!!! I wonder how much weight that would support just as is? My 240lb ass probably would be pushing it for racing. lol Still though, cheers for such great work!

·
Registered
2,929 Posts
tomekzxr what would be the process/hassle/pia to make the 2 subframe supports only!is it doable?I havent a clue what the oem aluminium weighs but it would be heaps more than 900grams!have you considered offering your products to sell?thanks in advance Peter

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Looks nice. I think I would be nervous the first few rides sitting on nothing but c/f.
With the first one I made for the R1 I had the bike standing on paddock stands, me standing on the pegs on staight legs and jumping staight ass on the seat with full body weight. After that I got confidence.
The Zx10 part has more flex because of more compact form, yet still I made some similiar tests before riding it. Actually I decided to make future Zx10 tails stronger than the first one. It was ok for me to ride it but it shaterred to pieces when I crashed. To raise te weight to 1000g it will be bulletproof in the weight bearing areas. That's a matter of making a few of these and getting experience.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Your work is BEAUTIFUL!!! I wonder how much weight that would support just as is? My 240lb ass probably would be pushing it for racing. lol Still though, cheers for such great work!
What I just said about adding some more material. It can be easly made strong enough. I I'm i doubt and go for safety when offering such part to someone else I would overkill with strenght. It's only about additional layers of CF. I weight about 190lb

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
That is a gift you have!fg luv it!20 hours in labor ching $ ching $!that makes it a very expensive part!Carbomoto have just the side supports for $400-$500 I think
I would be happy to sell it at not much more than what you say. In fact I already put it once on ebay, but with honest/modest discription it's early part with cosmetic imperfections and not made super strong. I guess it wasn't ensuring enought for potential buyers so I will keep that one to myself and make another one stronger and better made(once I have the experience) and try to sell that one. If there is any interest in those parts I will be happy to sell more.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
tomekzxr what would be the process/hassle/pia to make the 2 subframe supports only!is it doable?I havent a clue what the oem aluminium weighs but it would be heaps more than 900grams!have you considered offering your products to sell?thanks in advance Peter
I seem the oem three piece subframe is in area of 5-6lb. To make just the moulds as exact copy of the two pieces is realtively easy but I do not have plan to do it. There is already someone who sells it. It's more or less half the job I did with the preparation of the moulds and then with manufacture of the parts.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts