Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5,228 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I found a guy that will install a supercharger on any modern sportbike.
http://www.gsxr.com/showthread.php?t=2159
This is what he has to say-

Assuming stock hp of ~155 hp, you can expect to make ~220-230 hp rearwheel horsepower. We're in Berkeley, CA. We just rebuilt the engine on my own personal bike with low comp pistons, and then switched to a stage 2 kit, and it pulls harder than my turbo hayabusa. No lag, and it feels almost like riding an NA bike - it just happens to have a power curve that's 50% steeper! Now that I've gone super on my bike, I'm never going back to turbo. Oh yeah, that 220-230 hp is perfectly safe on your stock engine to drive everyday. No worries. If you wanted to switch to the stage 2, then you'd need to change your pistons. Not a problem. We can do a supercharger for any modern application. Price would be $5500 for a stage 1 kit, and turn around would be roughly 3-4 weeks.

·
Supercharged Mod
4,392 Posts
Beware of big horsepower numbers without bottom end and midrange torque to match. Centrifugal superchargers don't build boost until high RPM.

Turbochargers can do it because the compressor speed is not locked to the engine speed; it can be regulated more-or-less independently of engine speed using the wastegate or variable vane geometry on the exhaust side. A centrifugal supercharger is locked to the engine speed. At half of design RPM, a centrifugal blower makes close to one-quarter of design pressure ...

·
OG Post Whore
10,400 Posts
i like turbos over superchargers

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
Turbos produce free horsepower, supers consume some of the power they develop as a result of being driven by the engine.
BTW, is a centrifugal blower that of a Paxton type, as opposed to a screw type like a B&M?

·
LE Post Whore
6,275 Posts
gladding24 said:
BTW, is a centrifugal blower that of a Paxton type, as opposed to a screw type like a B&M?
Yes, Paxton, Vortech, and Procharger are all examples of centrifugal superchargers.

Supercharging does give you smoother power delivery though, and on a beast like the 10, that may be what you want.

later...Ara - mri

·
Registered
5,228 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I would rather have a supercharger in a corner, than a turbo. A turbo has a more instant hit, and will shock the rear tire, and in a corner, wouldn't be a good place for that.

·
LE Post Whore
6,275 Posts
In my experience, the turbo setup will not be as smooth or consistent as a supercharger setup. The thing about a turbo is that it is not directly mechanically regulated, so once that turbo starts to spin, the impeller speed increases exponentially, whereas a supercharger will have a linear increase in impeller speed. Turbos can produce more power per RPM than superchargers, but at the same time keeping a turbo under control is not as exact as having a supercharger that can only spin as fast as the engine allows it to. Turbos can have things like boost spikes and overboost, which are not generally problems with superchargers. Either way forced induction rocks.

later...Ara

1 - 8 of 8 Posts