Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I'm just finishing up the cat gutting and so far it's pretty much a pain in the ass. Started with a 3/8 drill bit. That didn't work too well. Then I used a 3/4" spade bit and was able to make several holes through the material. To finish it off I just used a pry-bar as a chisel and cleaned up the rest.

My question is......What the hell do you use to cut a hole in the "x" baffle????????

Do I put several smaller holes?.......one big hole?...........I don't have a bit long enough to reach down it. What do I use? WTF? Sorry, I'm just getting frustrated :x [smilie=B:

·
Certified SLOW
3,131 Posts
I just went to the hardware store and bought a real long drill bit.... cant remember what size but I put two holes I think it was like 3/8 or 1/2. Start with one hole if you want you can always drill another later!

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So are you saying you drilled a single -3/8 or 1/2" hole?

I tried using a 1/2" steel rod with a pointed tip and hammering it through but I don't want to bend the exhaust outlet. I don't have a vice so I'm just putting the end on the ground with a few towels under it.I guess I'll buy a long bit and probablly drill several holes in a circle pattern and then try to punch out the remaining material to make one big hole.

I feel like I'm performing a truely half-assed modification. "Joe Dirt" style! I really like the looks of the stock can so I guess this is my only option.

·
Registered
852 Posts
You'll love the sound from making a lot of that baffle plate go away. It's a turbine-like growl that's unlike anything I've ever heard. Spine tingling. My buddies like to follow it on the freeway to hear the thing.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Holy shitballs captain!! :shock: [smilie=d:

It's done and first of all it was pretty much a nightmare. First I wrapped the can in some towels for scratch protection. I then removed the cat as described above. Then drilled probably 15 holes around the perimiter of the "x" in the baffle. I needed to put punch marks in the metal to start every hole. Next, I basically connected the dots using the same pry bar as a chisel. The only problem was closer I got to completing, the less metal there was to hold the cutout in place so it kept bending downward. I had to keep working the piece back up every time I hit it with the chisel. I ended up removing 80% of the baffle, leaving pretty much only the pipe that extends into the next chamber. Well, 2 hrs later I was done. I definately wouldn't want to do it again....at least using the method I used. There is not much room to work in there. I removed the towel expecting to find a few 'outward' dings but there weren't any! I filled it up with water a few times and shook it to rinse all the debris out. I let it air dry for a while and back on it went.

It's late here and I have tennants(duplex) so I couldnt really rev it up, nor could I ride it because it's raining. Anyway it is MUCH louder now. I don't have an aftermarket pipe to compare it to but it has to be just as loud. It has a raspy throaty sound to it, but it's not cheesy like I thought it might be.

I'll post a better description after I ride it.........I gotta' go now, I'm gonna' go rev it some more

[smilie=zx_smilie3.gif]

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Also, there WAY more air coming out of the exhaust. It's more like wind actually. I don't know why, it's not like the stock exhaust is that restrictive. Maybe it just seems that way because it's a bit more of a straight shot now.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Do you think I'll have to re-map?

Does the stock computer have any capability to adjust for this mod. I would assume it dosent as I don't believe there are any sensors feeding it realtime info.

I am definately a moron when it comes to FI bikes. [smilie=b:

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I'll post a better description after I ride it........
Well, it pretty much sounds like a 600cc bike, kind of a high pitch growl--'I like it a lot'. My last 2 bikes '95 and '99 zx-9's both had slip-ons-- Vance ss2R and Yosh rs-3. Both in my opinion were pretty bassy compared to this. Both sounded nice but I actually prefer the sound of 600's, the are a lot 'racier' sounding.

Maybe the sound will turn out to be a 'lure' to sucker in people expecting to race a 600.....and then SURPRISE! [smilie=w: bye bye! [smilie=zx_smilie3.gif]

Anyway, like I said in an earlier post, it definately does not sound cheesy(IMO) like an 80's bike with the baffles taken out.

While it was a pain to mod, it definately was worth it.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts