Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've had my 06 ZX10R for a few months now, my first litre bike after starting out on a Suzuki GN250 to Honda Hornet 250, Ducati 600SS, DRZ400SM, now the ZX.

My bike is completely stock, aside from small bits and pieces (windscreen, mirrors, indicators, bar ends) and Im starting to be able to really throw some cash at it.

Im planning on getting some Danmoto Jisu bolt ons, for the reason i want to keep it looking kind of stock, the a&r race baffles dont seem to make much difference by looking at the videos on the website.

A few questions here, if I were to go ahead and install these bolt ons, is it wise to do a cat eliminator pipe at the same time?

If I do both of these, am I going to need a power commander?

Will it make any difference to the exhaust popping/backfiring with the increased flow?

After these things, would doing the smog block off plate mod fix the exhaust popping/backfiring?

Thanks in advance for any help you guys can give me, much appreciated!:helmet:

·
Registered
672 Posts
first off congrats on upgradeing.

1. decat the cat
2. get a servo buddy-
3. blockoffs will help
4. No you dont have to get a PC, but I would suggust that you still get it dyno tuned.

·
Registered
2,653 Posts
Congrats on The 2nd gen 10...

I was an owner of the A&R baffles, and they are mean sounding a.d worth the money, or go with your danmoto, also check out delkevic if you want less expensive but good looking...

Don't spend money on a cat eliminating pipe, you can do it yourself for free all you need is a few beers and a little time...

If you want to throw a little money at it, here's a few basics,
A rifleman quick turn throttle (1/5) will be the best $25 you can spend on your bike!!! His reputation here speaks for itself! Also change the gearing, -1+2 is popular, I'm -2+2 and it's nuts!!!

And one thing that's overlooked, is brakes! Change out the calipers and master cylinder, it's pretty easy and not expensive and there's alot of "how to" here on the forum...gen 2 oem brakes are crap!

·
Registered
6,040 Posts
I like the brake upgrade suggestion. While it may be overkill, if youre going to change out thr calipers and master cylinder, get stainless steel braided brake lines. You wont add any work because youd have to bleed just the same, but you get a nice little upgrade in addition to the big upgrade in M/C-caliper swap.

Gearing is fun, Im partial to the -1 front only. Thats just my opinion though. Riflemans 1/5 turn insert is absolutely amazing though. Massive change up for the way the bikes throttle behaves. Tighter, quicker response because of the decreased throw and WOT is so much easier to snag. Ive tried riding friends bikes after I added the insert and I found their throttles to be almost annoying because of the difference.

Block off plates will reduce the popping in the exhaust. When you add those, you are stopping the fresh air that is injected into the exhaust, meaning no fresh air entering just to burn the raw fuel that makes it into the exhaust system. The cat delete will make the exhaust pop more and a less baffled exhaust system will make it much more pronounced. You can get rid of pretty mucb all of the popping with block off plates and a tune.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the input guys.

I've gone with the Danmoto exhausts, they sound great!
As the bike is off the road for the meantime, Im going to do block off plates and probably just leave it at that, I dont need any extra power right now so will probably pass on the gearing changes for the mean time.

What suggestions do you have on brake calipers that would fit??

Cheers

·
Registered
2,653 Posts
Zx6r and zx14 nissin calipers are direct replacement...cbr calipers work too, not sure on the years though and I believe you need spacers for them...

Just search the forum using the "search" function (amazing I know lol) and you'll find all the information you need and then some

·
Registered
23 Posts
Definitely change the calipers and get steel braided lines. I didn't change the master cylinder, but the change in my brakes was amazing. With the stock Tokikos, I had to pull the lever a long way to ever get it to stop (I weigh over 250 with gear on). Now, it feels like a proper setup and only 1 or 2 fingers are needed.

I also agree with the -1 on the front. First gear is so tall on this bike (a legit 100 mph) that it makes it more difficult to leave stop lights (again the weight is the issue). Changed it out and now I barely have to think about the clutch.

I haven't done the secondaries, but if you get it tuned with a PC5, much of the popping goes away as well.

Good luck and have fun.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hello! Dan moto has began selling the slip-ons you installed. How have they held up? How do they sound? Super loud? I currently have the A&R race baffles and They are pretty quiet. Did you have any sound clips or more pictures?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts