Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey,

Has anyone used carpenter racing springs... I haven't seen many reviews but what I have seen they say they are very stiff?? Looking for a little feedback as I am going to be purchasing springs in the next day or so......

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
spring pressure

im sure some will oppose what i say, but heres my opinion. i installed single carp. springs in my rebuild, with stk. retainers which a reputable national builder said would be fine. by the time i final adjusted the valves, with the head torqued on, i was satisfied the spring pressure was too high. could barely turn the cams in the head using large screwdriver on sprockets, very tight. set up a lot of heads inthe last 30 years, measured and shimmed a lot of springs, and didnt need a spring tester to tell me to take them out. a call to carpenter resulted in being told they would break stk. ten retainer and i needed his $290 retainers also. concerned about retainer breaking,pulling keeper down or through,cupping valves, and beating valve stem ends. i sold them to a member for half what i pd., and he is a knowledgeable racer. thats why i reserve this as my opinion, but theres no way im gonna run those springs, even with tit. retainers. some report they lose varying amounts of pressure very quickly, too many negatives for me.

·
Registered
427 Posts
heavy duty valve springs.

I just got my head ported for my 04 and I am now in the process of picking heavy duty valve springs and ti retainers. I have also heard bad things about the Carpenter springs. I was thinking about just shimming the factory springs, but I still need to replace the retainers, and Carpenter is the only one I know of that makes the Ti retainers for a single spring. Most of the heavy duty valve springs I see are a dual spring, so you need dual spring retainers. I also noticed that most heavy duty valve springs come with 16 of the same springs. The factory uses much lighter springs on the exhaust valves due to the valves being so much lighter. I would think if you are running the same springs on all 16 valves, that the ones on the exhaust side would be way overkill. Does anybody make heavy duty valve springs that are 2 different sets of 8 for the different valves? I've heard good things about the Kibblewhite parts. I know they are dual springs, but are all 16 the same? I think this would be a great discussion since so many people are doing this upgrade. Thanks. Mike.

·
Registered
2,297 Posts
I was told the same thing, I got mine from jerry cooper and i havent had NO problems with them.:+1:

·
Speed Freak
12,730 Posts
I ran carp springs for a good while with no problems what so ever, all the way up to 200.2mph on motor and she held just fine.

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
I just got my head ported for my 04 and I am now in the process of picking heavy duty valve springs and ti retainers. I have also heard bad things about the Carpenter springs. I was thinking about just shimming the factory springs, but I still need to replace the retainers, and Carpenter is the only one I know of that makes the Ti retainers for a single spring. Most of the heavy duty valve springs I see are a dual spring, so you need dual spring retainers. I also noticed that most heavy duty valve springs come with 16 of the same springs. The factory uses much lighter springs on the exhaust valves due to the valves being so much lighter. I would think if you are running the same springs on all 16 valves, that the ones on the exhaust side would be way overkill. Does anybody make heavy duty valve springs that are 2 different sets of 8 for the different valves? I've heard good things about the Kibblewhite parts. I know they are dual springs, but are all 16 the same? I think this would be a great discussion since so many people are doing this upgrade. Thanks. Mike.
kibblewhite makes the best springs/spring kit you can buy,period!! i have used the springs mentioned in this thread and will never use them again..As for kibblewhite having all 16 springs the same is not true..the exhaust spring is a different spring from the intake spring and they are both clearly mark so on the packaging..The kibblewhites are also engineered in such a manner that you can set your spring pressure where you want it using spring base shims...I sell the kibblewhites at a great price if anyone wants a good spring kit..give me a call if you need any help with this..803.285.8093

·
Registered
819 Posts
kibblewhite makes the best springs/spring kit you can buy,period!! i have used the springs mentioned in this thread and will never use them again..As for kibblewhite having all 16 springs the same is not true..the exhaust spring is a different spring from the intake spring and they are both clearly mark so on the packaging..The kibblewhites are also engineered in such a manner that you can set your spring pressure where you want it using spring base shims...I sell the kibblewhites at a great price if anyone wants a good spring kit..give me a call if you need any help with this..803.285.8093

Dwayne did my head and there are Kibblewhite's in it along with other stuff but mine has held 33 psi and some some serious beatings. I can vouch for them and Dwayne!:thumbsup:

·
Speed Freak
12,730 Posts
if I had to do it again and I could have gotten a good price at the time I would have ran kibble but the person I was going threw was charging way to much. I know Dwayne always has good prices though!

·
Registered
772 Posts
ive had the Carpenter springs in my head for a few months now.the ti retainers that Carpenter sells are acutally Velocity Racing,i dunno if they worked together to develop them or what not but it def says Velocity on the retainers.when we bench shimmed the head i remember it was crazy hard to turn the cams like GAZX10 stated.all in all they have held up great so far with me spraying the crap out of it and even bumping the rev-limiter a few times.i cant complain for the price but if i ever bought new springs id most likely use the dual.

·
Registered
2,128 Posts
For what it's worth, I built my 1078cc with carpenters head and cams. He did the headwork at his shop with retainers, valves, and springs. Yes they are super stiff but I've had no problems. It's been about 4 years since the build and I've put around 12k miles on the bike. I've had no problems thus far. I've been very pleased with my results as a whole. I wouldn't worry about getting carpenter springs at all. The bike runs just as strong today as it ever has.

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
carp springs

ok, i jumped out, no one went with me, lost my draft, and getting passed. no seriously, im good with my own decision, but i want to say that i know and greatly respect some of the racers that replied and are running these springs with good results at high levels of performance.

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
From what i see with these reviews it is agreed that the carpenter springs are very hard...I feel like that will make the bike lose power....I think i'm going to go with the kibblewhite setup.......

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
So ive been trying to call cycle concepts to order springs and retainers from them and they haven't answered the phone....Has anyone else had this problem with getting in contact with them?

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
So ive been trying to call cycle concepts to order springs and retainers from them and they haven't answered the phone....Has anyone else had this problem with getting in contact with them?
We get very busy here at the shop at times and the phone rings off the hook all day..so, if you get the machine, please leave a message and we'll return the call asap..if you don't get the machine, that means we are helping others at the moment, please try back later..sorry for the inconvenience!

·
Registered
819 Posts
When you take care of people the way he does you stay busy. The man will spend hours on the phone with you if needed. That and he runs a shop so he is very busy. If you dont get him leave a message, he is good about getting back:thumbsup:

·
Registered
116 Posts
Dwayne @ Cycle Concepts has been real good about taken care of people. Just leave a message or call back.:thumbsup:

1 - 20 of 30 Posts